Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Dwyer is our best back....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Ding, ding, ding, ding. He has natural runner's instincts, with good timing. That's why I have been saying he could be our best back for 3 years now. Mendenhall simply stutter steps, delays and spins too much. Dwyer hits the damn hole. Redman is just too slow for an every down back. I like him, but not for 25 carries, more like 7-8.
    I agree about Redman...good #2 but not a #1.

IMO the difference between Dwyer hitting the hole and Mendy stutter stepping is that we are actually seeing holes now with Foster and Kemo being replaced at the OG position. The interior of our OL is actually getting push now versus getting stood up at the LOS.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Mendenhall is still the best back and will get huge gains if this OL opens some holes...

I was pleased with what I saw from Dwyer but ripping off a few good runs vs the Colts in preseason isn't enough to call him the best RB on the roster.

If he can do it against the first team in the regular season then I will be convinced he has turned a corner. I like what I'm seeing though...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Mendenhall is still the best back and will get huge gains if this OL opens some holes...

I was pleased with what I saw from Dwyer but ripping off a few good runs vs the Colts in preseason isn't enough to call him the best RB on the roster.

If he can do it against the first team in the regular season then I will be convinced he has turned a corner. I like what I'm seeing though...
    I am not saying it's PROVEN JD is out best back yet, I am PREDICTING that he will be. He has "it" - whatever you want to call "it." As long as he is past being lazy, he will rock this league. Pgh is going to be quite formidable with this OL (eventually, wait until Starks is playing), JD and Rainey, Brown, Sanders, Wallace (eventually). Look out.

Legend

User Info Menu

yeah....

I need to see Dwyer against the Ravens.. and the Bengals and other opponents who play the run well. Not saying he can't keep this up but a lot of his great runs have been against subpar talent. I'm not mad at what he is doing though... big gains against 2nd stringers is a good sign.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The run by Dwyer last night that impressed me the most was probably his first run. He was first met at the LOS and stiffed that tackler. He was met again and the same and was brought down for a three yard gain by the third tackler. I think that it has been too long watching our RBs get tackled by the first defender to touch them.
    I agree, but (and I made the point last night on chat) there is a big difference between the 1st carry in the second preseason game of the year, and Week 10 of the regular season. It really takes a physically and mentally tough guy to play this position. Dwyer has clearly shown that he has the talent to make plays in the NFL. He has not shown me that he is tough enough for anything but a platoon role. I had hoped that Redman was, but this latest episode has me concerned.

I'm sure Dwyer can be effective in a platoon situation.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I agree about Redman...good #2 but not a #1.

IMO the difference between Dwyer hitting the hole and Mendy stutter stepping is that we are actually seeing holes now with Foster and Kemo being replaced at the OG position. The interior of our OL is actually getting push now versus getting stood up at the LOS.
    I think Redman will be a good 1a/1b back but he needs to split carries. This is the first game that Dwyer looked like he wanted to play football for the steelers. He really surprised me with how well he ran. He made some guys miss and he showed a lot of effort getting the extra yard or two. I'd love to see him step his game up to split the carries with Redman. I still think Mendy will take more time to heal both mentally and physically before he becomes productive again.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I agree, but (and I made the point last night on chat) there is a big difference between the 1st carry in the second preseason game of the year, and Week 10 of the regular season. It really takes a physically and mentally tough guy to play this position. Dwyer has clearly shown that he has the talent to make plays in the NFL. He has not shown me that he is tough enough for anything but a platoon role. I had hoped that Redman was, but this latest episode has me concerned.

I'm sure Dwyer can be effective in a platoon situation.
    Agree that we still have a lot more to see, but his steps are in the right direction.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm thinking that having this argument about whom is better between Mendy, Redman, & Dwyer is a great problem to be arguing about. If they are all that close to each other...It only makes them & the Steelers better. Adding in the "change of pace" Rainman makes this a very good backfield.

A comment on Batch, he saw time earlier against the Colts with better OL. You have the like the kid and we are all pulling for him. He may need to sit on the PS and give him that full 18 month after injury to show who he is in 2013. I'm not righting him off but I don't think the real "Batch" is on the field. I get the feeling the Steelers are willing to give him that if he doesn't show before the PS ends.

Ford opened some eyes. The one thing you have to do with your opportunities in the preseason is make yourself memorable. In one game Ford did that. So he might see the field earlier to better evaluated. Batch's hustle and downfield block on AB's TD catch is an "adda boy" but that is not where you make your mark as a RB. Ford is the guy who will now push Batch if the Steelers decide to go with 3 active RBs & Rainey until Mendy is ready. The two will be trying to make their mark on ST because that may be the deciding factor when all is said and done.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I'm thinking that having this argument about whom is better between Mendy, Redman, & Dwyer is a great problem to be arguing about. If they are all that close to each other...It only makes them & the Steelers better. Adding in the "change of pace" Rainman makes this a very good backfield.

A comment on Batch, he saw time earlier against the Colts with better OL. You have the like the kid and we are all pulling for him. He may need to sit on the PS and give him that full 18 month after injury to show who he is in 2013. I'm not righting him off but I don't think the real "Batch" is on the field. I get the feeling the Steelers are willing to give him that if he doesn't show before the PS ends.

Ford opened some eyes. The one thing you have to do with your opportunities in the preseason is make yourself memorable. In one game Ford did that. So he might see the field earlier to better evaluated. Batch's hustle and downfield block on AB's TD catch is an "adda boy" but that is not where you make your mark as a RB. Ford is the guy who will now push Batch if the Steelers decide to go with 3 active RBs & Rainey until Mendy is ready. The two will be trying to make their mark on ST because that may be the deciding factor when all is said and done.
    I hate to agree with Collinsworth but Ford DID look like Bettis on a few of those runs. I want to see more of him as well. I would love to have a RB by committee and just punish teams all game with fresh legs.

I'm very concerned with Redman... I hope he is healthy by week 1.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

When he was a no.1 in our last playoff game, did he play like a no.1? Go back and watch the game if you said no. He is our no.1 and will be so til Mendy comes back and then he will be 50% no.1. If Mendy gets back to real form late in the year, he could assume complete control of the position again. We'll see.
    Dwyer looked great for 2-3 minutes. Ran hard and then CLEARLY looked tired.
    Frankly, they need to give him an entire half to see how he does. We cannot rely on Batch or Rainey, so force feed Dwyer to see if he can be a legit backup in case Redman does go down in the first 4-6 games. Right now, I'm not at all convinced. He's a bad blocker on 80-90% of his plays. And he runs hard for short bursts of the game, shutting down for long periods of activity. He sees a big hole and he gets through it nicely, but its the rest of the time that he is ****e.