Thread: RIP Steve Sabol

Legend

User Info Menu

RIP Steve Sabol

[url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000063286/Steve-Sabol-s-last-film?module=HP11_hot_topics[/url]

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

RIP Steve Sabol. It's a sad day for the NFL and it's fans...

Starter

User Info Menu

THEE Historian of the NFL.

The Sabol name will be forever honored.

RIP

Legend

User Info Menu

RIP. The Sabol's had as much to do with the NFL becoming the nation's #1 sport as anyone. Many are too young to know that the only way, pre-ESPN, you ever saw other teams was through the weekly NFL Films highlights.

Thank you to the Sabol's.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

growing up in the 70's one of the coolest nights ever hanging out with my friends was the night we scored a 16mm copy of the 75 Steelers season highlights. narrated of course by john fucinda and capping with a sb victory over dallas. a dark room, some underage iron city drinking and a bed sheet for a screen. wonderful.

still gives me chills. And let's be honest. Much of the mystique of the Steel Curtain was created BY those highlight reels and that wonderful voice. Just to hear that deep voice say 'mean joe greene'.....The end of an era for sure.

All hail the Sabol's!
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I too was a huge fan of Steve Sabol and NFL Films. That's what football was all about. I am so grateful for what he did for the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    growing up in the 70's one of the coolest nights ever hanging out with my friends was the night we scored a 16mm copy of the 75 Steelers season highlights. narrated of course by john fucinda and capping with a sb victory over dallas. a dark room, some underage iron city drinking and a bed sheet for a screen. wonderful.

still gives me chills. And let's be honest. Much of the mystique of the Steel Curtain was created BY those highlight reels and that wonderful voice. Just to hear that deep voice say 'mean joe greene'.....The end of an era for sure.

All hail the Sabol's!
    "There are 27 teams in the NFL.....and then there are the Pittsburgh Steelers." The "A Cut Above" video narrated by John Fucinda was awesome. All written by Steve Sabol.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Him and his dad made the NFL into the power house it is today. They glamorized the NFL and made it a way of life, an icon and set the foundation of pro football for us fans. I am sad over the loss of Steve. I'm sad for his family, friends and us fans. He did seem like a great guy and it didn't hurt he always made great Steeler segments. Was it him or his father that made it to the HOF ? I'm glad now that it happened for one of them in his life time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Was it him or his father that made it to the HOF ?
    His father....Steve presented him. I'd imagine he would also be inducted into the HOF sooner or later.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steve Sabol - the NFL's own hype man. The ultimate cross between William Drayton and/or Don LaFontaine.