Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Depressing Reality: Colbert/Tomlin's drafts have sucked a bit

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And to be honest Cowerd had more Pro Bowlers to start his tenure than Tomlin. And his strategy to play not to lose, is one reason we have to sit here as fans and listen to how Bellicheat was such a genius....
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Backup

User Info Menu

Come on. In two SB's, 8 or 9 divisons, 10 playoffs, at least one AP coach of the year. He probably won't get in this term, but he's going. Some said he would have been in before XL. He's going.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    The typical guy with "issues" always assums that I am black, when I have clearly stated that my OWN issues had to be brought to my attention by a buddy. Sorry I'm no Sharpton. I prefer David Duke, Mitt Romney, George W. those types. I just dont hide behind the bs. I am white so I am privvy to all of the racial names directed at Tomlin. IF you dont think that his Color is an issue with some people then that is your opinion. I know different. Many people at Steeler games HATED Bruce Arians but NOT ONCE have I ever heard him called an epithet. Tomlin doesnt get that benefit. Lastly, I and not a Tomlin fan. I just tell the truth as I see it. Actually, wanted us to hire Brian Billick but he wasnt available.
    I don't have issues, and I don't care if you are white or black, or purple, you are still race baiting, and just because you sit around people who use racial epithets it doesn't make Steeler fans who are critical of certain players racist. In my opinion you are still a racist even if you are white.

Backup

User Info Menu

Me a racist? I have ADMITTED that I had issues as they were brought to my attention. I acknowledged them (I didnt know honestly. Or didnt realize). Those people I sit around are STEELER FANS. I'm a season ticket holder.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Some have been saying this for years, but have been called idiots by 'The real fans'. It's clear that Cowher was superior at choosing players compared to Tomlin. Colbert is the common denominator.

i feel the 3-4 is tougher to fill out compared to the 4-3. Back 10 years ago when we drafted a majority of our Superbowl winning vets, not near as many teams ran the 3-4 so we had more of a selection in the later rounds.
    I haven't had a good internet connection for a day or so, but part I of this article was comparing Cowhers first five years of drafting to Tomlins. Cowher actually fared much worse his first five years. That gives me hope that Tomlin can improve his evaluations.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Let's not get sidetracked too much. This post was more about how the Raven's have been out drafting us relative to who we picked as illustrated by this fantastic chart:

[URL="http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1247311/Steelers_20ranking_20compared_20to_20League_JPG.jp g"][/URL]
    via [URL="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65639065/Comparing%20Draft%20Picks/Steelers%20ranking%20compared%20to%20League.JPG"]dl.dropbox.com[/URL]

We have a lot of ground to make up talent wise. We are a very old team defensive wise and it needs to be fixed. Gonna have to rip off the band-aid.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Let's not get sidetracked too much. This post was more about how the Raven's have been out drafting us relative to who we picked as illustrated by this fantastic chart:

[URL="http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1247311/Steelers_20ranking_20compared_20to_20League_JPG.jp g"][/URL]
    via [URL="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65639065/Comparing%20Draft%20Picks/Steelers%20ranking%20compared%20to%20League.JPG"]dl.dropbox.com[/URL]

We have a lot of ground to make up talent wise. We are a very old team defensive wise and it needs to be fixed. Gonna have to rip off the band-aid.
    I think the whole premise of this post is misleading when the word "reality" is used, but the data in the graph can't be substantiated. Who knows whether Tory Smith would have outshined Mike Wallace and Anthony Brown if we drafted him? How does anyone know what Cam Heyward would have done on the Patriots D line, and if he would have started? When you put subjective information into an equation and you get numbers, more than likely you just came up with a way to start an argument based on assumptions. That is not reality.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    I think the whole premise of this post is misleading when the word "reality" is used, but the data in the graph can't be substantiated. Who knows whether Tory Smith would have outshined Mike Wallace and Anthony Brown if we drafted him? How does anyone know what Cam Heyward would have done on the Patriots D line, and if he would have started? When you put subjective information into an equation and you get numbers, more than likely you just came up with a way to start an argument based on assumptions. That is not reality.
    Please, how would you ever judge drafts or drafted players then? You would never be able to based on what you are saying. You will never know how those players would have done in our system or ours in their, that doesn't diminish the REALITY of how well players are playing that were drafted by other teams. Geesh.

Backup

User Info Menu

You judge drafts on win - loss records, playoff apprearances, Super Bowls, Pro Bowls. Then once a player has done his full body of work and is out of the league, or at least out of your teams system you can rate the pick. Being that the guy who wrote the article doesn't want to wait until all of the data is in, but feels like bashing or coach and our front office, so he made a grading scale based on assumptions. How about basing it on results? Win Loss records, Super Bowls/Super Bowl appearances etc. That is how you judge drafts. Ask the people who judge the Steelers drafts of the 70's.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    You judge drafts on win - loss records, playoff apprearances, Super Bowls, Pro Bowls. Then once a player has done his full body of work and is out of the league, or at least out of your teams system you can rate the pick. Being that the guy who wrote the article doesn't want to wait until all of the data is in, but feels like bashing or coach and our front office, so he made a grading scale based on assumptions. How about basing it on results? Win Loss records, Super Bowls/Super Bowl appearances etc. That is how you judge drafts. Ask the people who judge the Steelers drafts of the 70's.
    ehhh... I think it's more than that. The Steelers went from worst to first with their drafts in the early 70's so it's obvious the draft worked.

With key vets leaving we are beginning to see how good/bad our recent drafts have been...