Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All this griping about the D....but....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    Dwyers fumble is equally as bad as ABs...The Dwyer fumble was on our 30 yard line and resulted in 7 points for the Raiders. I think Dwyer becomes the odd man out once RM is back...
    I think JD is done as a potential contributing Steeler. They were running BB and IR but no JD as the game went on. I believe his potential to become a significant contributor as a Steeler, and maybe as an NFL player, has come and gone. So much for me predicting he was going to end up a bigger producer than RM. He had the opportunity and it just didn't happen. (The porous OL didn't help, though.)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Both fumbles were 7-point turnarounds. We lost by 3. The math is clear. And there is enough culpability to occupy several juries.

Ahhhh, the whole thing is a sh-t sandwich that they can all take a bite out of, including Dick L, Colon, AB, JD, the D, Tomlin, all of them. The only one who seems to have done far more good than bad is Ben. Maybe MW.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    The Steelers flat out gave the game away with those turnovers. The D was given short fields after those 2 turnovers. They already can't make stops in the 4th Q (this has been going on for 4 years now), and when they turn the ball over it's even harder to make a stop.
    Yes know what, I think this subject deserves its own thread. Why is it that this D can't stop teams in the 4th Q.? I have my theory.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yes know what, I think this subject deserves its own thread. Why is it that this D can't stop teams in the 4th Q.? I have my theory.
    This D is too dependent upon having all of the pieces in place...no Troy and no James Harrison leaves the D shorthanded...

Administrator

User Info Menu

.....if Brown doesn't fumble, we win this game.

Why isn't anyone bringing that up? First he fumbles going across the goal line and was beyond lucky to get the ball back himself, but THEN he fumbles AGAIN to stop a drive that looked destined to be a TD drive.

I was so p-ssed at him when he fumbled it again. We have a W without him carelessly putting the ball on the ground, mother f----r.
    That may be true... but I'm more inclined to blame a 'unit' (i.e. our defense) that is flat out weak. They should be flat out embarrassed the way they have been playing this year.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Browns was worse he already picked up the 1st down and with raiders swarming around him he didn't secure the ball trying to get an extra 2/3 yards

SituTional football. You don't leave the ball out like that around multiple defensive players when holding a lead

Stupid stupid play on his part

Legend

User Info Menu

Okay, so the offense turned the ball over two times and that really isn't acceptable, however, turnovers happen nearly every game. The problem is that if you watched the game the defense would make two bad plays per drive, not over an entire game. Brown needs to secure the ball better, but the defense needs to stop getting pushed around like rag dolls. I don't know if its technique, strength or failure to gel as a unit or all three, but one thing is for sure, giving up 34 points a game is a recipe for a disastrous season.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This D is too dependent upon having all of the pieces in place...no Troy and no James Harrison leaves the D shorthanded...
    Then that is a poorly designed defense that lacks the flexibility to adjust to what are not impossibile possibilities.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think JD is done as a potential contributing Steeler. They were running BB and IR but no JD as the game went on. I believe his potential to become a significant contributor as a Steeler, and maybe as an NFL player, has come and gone. So much for me predicting he was going to end up a bigger producer than RM. He had the opportunity and it just didn't happen. (The porous OL didn't help, though.)
    Dwyer had a lot to prove and IMO he has too many WTF moments in his short career. Everyone fumbles but I think his nagging injuries when barely getting hit, the weight issues, waving for a sub anytime he runs more than 3 yards, etc are making it hard for the coaches to trust him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fumbles played their part...No doubt. However, there are three areas I am concerned with regardless. Two of them are on defense.

#1...Pass rush. I also am not drinking the "wait until Harrison returns" KoolAid either. He will be the glue for 2012 but he is done after this year here. I should have seen something by now out of Worilds & Carter to satisfy the future of that position. It is time to send a message to them an de-activate one of their A$$es and put Arian Robinson on the field on passing downs. I am not writing anyone off...But as a coach the message needs to be sent. I'm taking the "hat" away from one of them to give to Robinson. If Robinson starts putting pressure on the QB or gets sacks...Message sent. I am not concerned about the DBs on the roster...I am ready to move on from scheme (DL). I have watched the evolution of this game and it is clear. You need to pressure the QB and force his hand to make a turnover....Not limiting yardage between the 20s. You put the burden on the CBs and go get the passer. BUT THAT WON'T WORK WITHOUT A PASS RUSH. That is where the Steelers are right now. Bump & Blitz makes a QB be Decisive & Accurate. It is a QBs game so put all of the pressure on the QB to be accurate, decisive, and be on the same page as his WRs. The ball is not coming out fast enough and the longer the QB has the ball & no pass rush...WRs will start to come open.

#2....The run defense. Hampton & Foote are done here. Keisel has shown real signs of decline this year. I hope Sly has made huge strides and can take Foote's spot at some point this year when 100% healthy. I'm even saying try Johnson. That Spence injury really hurts. Spence's play and lack of Foote's may have pushed the Steelers into trying some type of combination of Timmons & Spence. We are hurting at Buck. Any team can come out and establish some type of run game and kill this defense off of PA. Foote couldn't cover the Big Ragu on a drag off of PA. One false step by him or someone gets their hands on him & he is out of the play. He really labors at change of direction and stop & start. I'm beginning to think "someone" over values loyalty, leadership, and knowledge of a defense instead of just flat out playing. The Steelers just don't have any option right now but lets hope some "options" arise.

#3 Run game. Now, I am not one to fold up the tents just yet. But they have alot of work to do. Not having a break away back in the backfield does have something to do with it. So I will give it some time. I know many aren't high on Mendy but the one thing he did do was dictate the discipline of a DE or OLB on the edge and opened up things inside. Mr. "Counter 34 Pike" success hinges on Mendy's ability to get around the corner. It doesn't sound like much to some in here but Redman in the backfield versus Mendy may be the difference between an OLB/DE lining up head up TE or outside shade to 8 Gap on the edge of the OL. A TE can easily dig a OLB/DE outside shade or Gap 8 on the counter. Head up...The OLB/DE reads and squeezes it down and closes the hole. Colon/Foster have no lane to turn up into and can't get to LB and play blown up in backfield. Having a TE like Miller and his blocking abilities really increases the success of the running game when you have a RB who can threaten the corner. It doesn't make Mendy "all that better" than Dwyer & Redman....It just makes the running game better in general if you could follow.