Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manny Sanders - The Forgotten WR

Legend

User Info Menu

Manny Sanders - The Forgotten WR

Wally's the Star.

AB's got the big contract.

Manny Sanders is the afterthought. He was hurt. He's had a bad wheel. He's had some misfortune in his first couple of seasons while Wally and AB have been phenoms.

But when I watch these 3 WRs, I see 1 of them going all out every time I watch him. And it's not our superstar WRs, it's Manny. He seems to play with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove.

He reminds me of another WR we once had. Manny's the most dedicated blocking WR on our roster - he never takes a play off. Manny's a good route runner and often looks like a savvy vet the way he gets open on 3rd downs. He has a knack for finding a soft spot in a zone. He even reminded me of a certain other WR the way he floated along the back of the end zone against the Giants.

We talk alot about WR value as it relates to TDs. As the afterthought, Manny hasn't had enough chances yet to give us a legit comparison. But let's look at TD % per WR catches:

Wally - 13.8%
    Heath - 10%
    Manny - 6.8%
    AB - 2.3%

It took Steelers fans a while to appreciate a certain other WR. Another guy went unnoticed for many years. But like Sanders, he kept working hard, he produced even when he wasn't touching the ball, he finally got his fair chance, and everyone realized that he was the best WR we had overall.

Manny is smaller that this other WR. But he's a little more athletic.

The thing that stands out about Manny is he goes all out even when he isn't touching the ball. That's unique for a WR. You just don't see it often. Guess the #3 guy has to work a little harder. It may pay dividends for us down the road.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Ben was quoted as saying Manny could be a #1 on most teams. I'm not sure I believe Manny is a #1 but he would be a top notch two in my book. If he can stay healthy...he will be the reason the Steelers use 60 million somewhere besides Wallace. Brown, Manny, Cotchery is a nice core of WRs.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think Ben was quoted as saying Manny could be a #1 on most teams. I'm not sure I believe Manny is a #1 but he would be a top notch two in my book. If he can stay healthy...he will be the reason the Steelers use 60 million somewhere besides Wallace. Brown, Manny, Cotchery is a nice core of WRs.

Brown, Manny, and Cotchery are a nice core of chain movers, but who is going to score the touchdowns?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Manny Sanders reminds me of Ernie Mills
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Brown, Manny, and Cotchery are a nice core of chain movers, but who is going to score the touchdowns?
    When we look to them instead of Wallace...it will be this core of guys scoring TDs.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    When we look to them instead of Wallace...it will be this core of guys scoring TDs.
    Manny Sanders will be an RFA next season. We need to consider the fact that we will need to find replacements for everyone except AB in the near future.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Manny Sanders will be an RFA next season. We need to consider the fact that we will need to find replacements for everyone except AB in the near future.
    I have 2 words for you!! David Gilreath
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

If we'd go get the 2nd stud TE I've been trying to draft in the first round to pair with Heath for the last 5 or 6 years, we'd be all set on Offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

When Wallace officially chooses not to be a Steeler any longer, we will still have a very good group of WRs with Brown, Sanders and Cotchery. We will also get another talented young player to come in and do a good job.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Probably, our best outcome for the year would be to have Wallace and AB stay healthy and gobble up the bulk of the WR receptions. This way, we can sign Manny on the cheap(er) by him maintaining some anonymity through lower numbers than he is capable of. I would love to see a 5-6 year deal for Sanders.