Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The case FOR Harrison

Legend

User Info Menu

We were good before Harrison came here and we will be good when he leaves. I cant believe the Steelers paid Woodley like they did. Although his play up to that point warranted the raise, OLB in the Steelers system will always be easy to replace and knowing that, we should have cut Wood if he didnt take way less than we gave him.

Back to JH, I love the guy, but we need need to clear up money big time. I say cut them both, unless cutting Wood doesnt help a lot with the cap situation.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    That is a simple question to answer. He wasn't healthy until after the season started. His biggest non football weakness is his health. This dates back to college. This is where you could debate about Worilds the most and have a shot at winning.

He hasn't lost his explosiveness and he was lifting weights with Harrison once he was healthy. His weight came down after he was able to get into shape.

Health is his biggest question mark.
    Dunno...Worilds looked heavy and slow to me late into the season...nowhere near as "explosive" as when he first came into the league...

And exactly why are we supposed to give Worilds a pass because of health issues? Woodley and Harrison might argue that they never got to full health all season long. You can spare me the "Worilds is 10 years younger than Harrison" line...What good is 10 years younger if you're not healthy enough to play at a high level?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    We were good before Harrison came here and we will be good when he leaves. I cant believe the Steelers paid Woodley like they did. Although his play up to that point warranted the raise, OLB in the Steelers system will always be easy to replace and knowing that, we should have cut Wood if he didnt take way less than we gave him.

Back to JH, I love the guy, but we need need to clear up money big time. I say cut them both, unless cutting Wood doesnt help a lot with the cap situation.
    Cutting Woodley won't happen this offseason...costs too much against the cap.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Dunno...Worilds looked heavy and slow to me late into the season...nowhere near as "explosive" as when he first came into the league...

And exactly why are we supposed to give Worilds a pass because of health issues? Woodley and Harrison might argue that they never got to full health all season long. You can spare me the "Worilds is 10 years younger than Harrison" line...What good is 10 years younger if you're not healthy enough to play at a high level?
    Never said to give Worilds a pass because of his health. In fact I said this is where we should attack Worilds. He is a big "if" on this front.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Obviosly if James Harrison is cut it won't be on account of his ability, it's about the money period. Should he accept around 3 mill he might stick around another year if they even offer anything.

Worlids is an unproven player, and he's injured quite a bit even with limited playing time, I don't know if he's the answer to replace JH if it comes to that.

What I remember about James in his early years here was the time he had to sub for Joey Porter as porter was injured and you could tell then Harrison was going to be good after seeing him perform. He did so well that he eventually replaced Joey Porter and we didn't miss a beat.

I have my concerns whether Worlids can do the same, this is why OLB is a consern for the fans, they really can't trust Worlids will fill the void.
    Look for that position to be addressed in the draft as you can see most mocks have us picking one at some point in the draft.

All we can do as fans is watch what transpires in the next few weeks, you can bet if we lose Harrison you will see a drop off and we have no one on that roster to replace him and play as well. The draft is our only option in hope of getting a productive OLB that can play at a high level and compete for a starters role.

Harrison was just as good as Porter, Worlids isn't, thats why we have a problem.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    What I remember about James in his early years here was the time he had to sub for Joey Porter as porter was injured and you could tell then Harrison was going to be good after seeing him perform. He did so well that he eventually replaced Joey Porter and we didn't miss a beat.
    I laugh when I hear this. Harrison played less snaps before replacing Porter than Worilds played this year.

Go ahead and research it. James started one game for Porter in 2004 against Cleveland. He had a good/decent game.

His only other highlights were an interception in a game against San Diego in 2005. People like his mean demeanor and the way he body slammed a Cleveland fan.

He did very little on the field as a defensive player prior to 2007 and was never able to unseat Porter.

Oh yeah, he couldn't unseat Haggans either. It took a long time for him to develop in to a starter. Worilds can be one too.
    Last edited by BigRob; 02-15-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't think Worilds is as far away from being an impact starter as people seem to think. He had one of the highest sack counts for the Steelers last year, and saw the field more than at any point in his career.

Are injuries a concern? Yes- but the positive is that it's not recurring injuries- they are all different. Broken thumb, rolled ankle etc... that could just be bad luck. If it was like aaron Smith, who kept getting issues with his arms/triceps/biceps- that's more concerning because that has become, for lack of a better term, a structural weakness on the body.

It's the same with Colon. Alot of people want him gone because of his injuries- but no two injuries have been the same. He's more the product of bad luck than actually being injury prone.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Never said to give Worilds a pass because of his health.
    And yet you said that the reason Worilds didn't beat out Harrison or Woodley last season was because "he wasn't healthy until after the season started."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I laugh when I hear this. Harrison played less snaps before replacing Porter than Worilds played this year.

Go ahead and research it. James started one game for Porter in 2004 against Cleveland. He had a good/decent game.

His only other highlights were an interception in a game against San Diego in 2005. People like his mean demeanor and the way he body slammed a Cleveland fan.

He did very little on the field as a defensive player prior to 2007 and was never able to unseat Porter.

Oh yeah, he couldn't unseat Haggans either. It took a long time for him to develop in to a starter. Worilds can be one too.
    In hindsight, there seem to be a lot of people wbo claim they knew how great Harrison would be before he became a full-time starter. I don't think that is true at all. I think there was a concern about that position. People calling for a No. 1 to be spent on that position. People who thought Harrison would be solid or OK but not much more. It could be a similar situation with Worilds. He has flashed pass rush talent. Looked very good in spots, but has not, as of yet, put it all together in a consistent way. But he has the type of ability that I think he could.

What I think separates Harrison, Porter or any of the others who become special is their training regimen. Harrison lifts and trains more than almost everybody. At his best he was a solid mass of muscle. Worilds did look somewhat heavy last season. If he gets a shot to play full-time, he just has to take his cue from how Harrison worked to prepare to play. If he does, he has the basic physical ability to be a very good player.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

1. No one knew if JH would be a dominate player before he got his starts.

2. In his limited play before he became a starter he played well.

3. He replaced Joey Porter because the Steerler front office didn't want to pay Porter, and had confidence that Harrison would be able to fill the responsibility of playing that position.

4. Forget the money for a moment and ask yourself who you would rather have playing OLB if the money wasn't a factor?

I'm not saying Worlids can't do the job, just I don't believe he will be as good. Sack wise I do think he'll do well, but there is more to playing LB than sacks, like stopping the run and pass coverage.

If the Steelers can't reach an agreement with JH for a pay cut, then they don't have any other option than to release him. I understand that, and if happens I'll wish Worlids all the best in his endeavors. I want Worlids to succeed and hope he can solidify that position for years, just hope JH doesn't become a Brown and play against his former team.