Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers CB Ike Taylor says Santonio Holmes and James Harrison would like to return

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

I am unless there is an injury. Williams, Spence (If he's back), Moats, Carter & Zumwalt will be you back-up unless H Jones pushes Carter off the roster. They have position flexibility now. You might look at the roster & say they are heavy inside but the flexibilty with Shazier, Moats, & Zumwalt makes them deep at ILB & OLB. Harrison is 36 & doesn't appear to have anything in the tank. Gurnateed contract for a non ST back-up...I would pass. If everyone is healthy...He doesn't get a helmet. It's a numbers game on this roster. If an injury happens...He will be on the street. No need to bring him here unless a NEED arises.
    Hmm.. I'm following you on our depth at ILB and OLB. Harrison's got something left in the tank though...you can count on that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I love Harrison as much as the next guy...But his services will be in the emergency role if the Steelers bring him back. There was a reason the Steelers wanted him to take a pay cut to stay & based on his play last year....The Bengals cut him because they saw it. There are other LBs currently on the roster who could contribute more to the team on the field than Harrison. With no injuries..Harrison won't start, Harrison won't play ST, & that could mean Harrison wouldn't even get a helmet gameday. Heavy heart & all...Signing Harrison doesn't make the team better. The right thing to do? Sign Harrison on a 1 day contract & let him retire a Steeler. That would be a great way to close the book.

Legend

User Info Menu

I love Harrison as much as the next guy...But his services will be in the emergency role if the Steelers bring him back. There was a reason the Steelers wanted him to take a pay cut to stay & based on his play last year....The Bengals cut him because they saw it. There are other LBs currently on the roster who could contribute more to the team on the field than Harrison. With no injuries..Harrison won't start, Harrison won't play ST, & that could mean Harrison wouldn't even get a helmet gameday. Heavy heart & all...Signing Harrison doesn't make the team better. The right thing to do? Sign Harrison on a 1 day contract & let him retire a Steeler. That would be a great way to close the book.

The steelers also asked Troy to take a paycut. Does that mean Troy has nothing left in the tank? Harrison was out of position last year in Cincy...that's why he was cut. I'm not saying Harrison is Defensive player of the year material... but, at the same time, I don't think he's done either.

I'd be all for signing James to a one day contract though... if that means him retiring as a steeler. It pissed me off that they even mentioned he and Stonio in the same sentence (meaning they both wanted to come back). Harrison was/is one of the all time greats to wear black and gold...

Legend

User Info Menu

And thats the problem with some Steeler fans, they dont know how to LET GO....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    The steelers also asked Troy to take a paycut. Does that mean Troy has nothing left in the tank? Harrison was out of position last year in Cincy...that's why he was cut. I'm not saying Harrison is Defensive player of the year material... but, at the same time, I don't think he's done either.

I'd be all for signing James to a one day contract though... if that means him retiring as a steeler. It pissed me off that they even mentioned he and Stonio in the same sentence (meaning they both wanted to come back). Harrison was/is one of the all time greats to wear black and gold...

Troy is not the player he once was...That's why. Same with Harrison...Same with Taylor. Harrison playing Sam last year had nothing to do with why he was cut. What he couldn't do on the field is why he was cut. The time comes when the mind & heart wants to...But the body can't. This is going to sting many...But there are players already here that could "contribute" on the field more to this football team than what Harrison can at this point in his career. I understand the love...I am one...But when the name on the back of the jersey is all that is left...You move on.

That's no disrespect to the player...It is just the end of a great career for Harrison. I agree 100%...Harrison was one of the all time greats to wear the Black & Gold. I will also say this...Harrison let pride get in his way last year & should have written a different ending. And if you could ask Harrison that question in a couple years when he walks away from the game...He will tell you the same thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    And thats the problem with some Steeler fans, they dont know how to LET GO....
    No problems here Pete. The dude can still play football. Not at the same level as he did 5-7 years ago...not many can maintain that level of play in their mid 30s....and, I didn't say we needed to re-sign him and put him at starting OLB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Troy is not the player he once was...That's why. Same with Harrison...Same with Taylor. Harrison playing Sam last year had nothing to do with why he was cut. What he couldn't do on the field is why he was cut. The time comes when the mind & heart wants to...But the body can't. This is going to sting many...But there are players already here that could "contribute" on the field more to this football team than what Harrison can at this point in his career. I understand the love...I am one...But when the name on the back of the jersey is all that is left...You move on.

That's no disrespect to the player...It is just the end of a great career for Harrison. I agree 100%...Harrison was one of the all time greats to wear the Black & Gold. I will also say this...Harrison let pride get in his way last year & should have written a different ending. And if you could ask Harrison that question in a couple years when he walks away from the game...He will tell you the same thing.

ok.. so your story has changed a little from the original post... which was "Nothing left in the tank". That's the statement I was debating. I agree that Harrison (and Troy's) play has declined in recent years.. It comes with age.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    ok.. so your story has changed a little from the original post... which was "Nothing left in the tank". That's the statement I was debating. I agree that Harrison (and Troy's) play has declined in recent years.. It comes with age.

My story didn't change...Harrison has nothing in the tank. You asked if a paycut by Troy meant if he has nothing in the tank. I said Harrison, Troy, & Taylor were not the players they once were & that's why the Steelers asked them to take a paycut. If the Steelers thought they had nothing in the tank....They wouldn't have offered them a reduced salary to stay. Troy & Ike have a little left in them...But they have declined. That's why they are still here. My comment on Harrison is based on what he did with the Bengals. Harrison played 354 defensive snaps in the regular season...35%. For comparison...Vince Williams played 398 defensive snaps...37%. Don't know how much you caught of him playing...But he was a non factor.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am unless there is an injury. Williams, Spence (If he's back), Moats, Carter & Zumwalt will be you back-up unless H Jones pushes Carter off the roster. They have position flexibility now. You might look at the roster & say they are heavy inside but the flexibilty with Shazier, Moats, & Zumwalt makes them deep at ILB & OLB. Harrison is 36 & doesn't appear to have anything in the tank. Gurnateed contract for a non ST back-up...I would pass. If everyone is healthy...He doesn't get a helmet. It's a numbers game on this roster. If an injury happens...He will be on the street. No need to bring him here unless a NEED arises.
    His last season here after coming off injury having missed September JH had more tackles than any OTHER Steeler OLBer since 2006. His tackle count was higher than a typical Clay Matthews season. JH bested the !majority of 3-4 OLBer in than "down" season. Dude us as good as Clark Haggins ever was right now. He ain't all world but he is better than what we had on that side last year. I hope Jones improves but JH is "WORILDS' better than the people on our bench.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

My story didn't change...Harrison has nothing in the tank. You asked if a paycut by Troy meant if he has nothing in the tank. I said Harrison, Troy, & Taylor were not the players they once were & that's why the Steelers asked them to take a paycut. If the Steelers thought they had nothing in the tank....They wouldn't have offered them a reduced salary to stay. Troy & Ike have a little left in them...But they have declined. That's why they are still here. My comment on Harrison is based on what he did with the Bengals. Harrison played 354 defensive snaps in the regular season...35%. For comparison...Vince Williams played 398 defensive snaps...37%. Don't know how much you caught of him playing...But he was a non factor.
    Judging him based on 1 year in Cincy makes no sense at all