Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace scores touchdowns..Antonio Brown doesnt!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    No...I'd just call him what he is. A touchdown maker! And on his TD yesterday the ball was deliberately under thrown and Wallace came back and got it.
    I would argue after watching the video 10 times, that Ben just threw the ball up and Wallace came down with it, nothing was deliberate about the throw other than the throwing part. If he didn't "under throw" it, it would have ended up in the stands.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    I would argue after watching the video 10 times, that Ben just threw the ball up and Wallace came down with it, nothing was deliberate about the throw other than the throwing part. If he didn't "under throw" it, it would have ended up in the stands.
    I'm with you SD, I doubt that ball was under thrown purposely. In reality, it should have never been thrown, but Ben was scrambling and managed to escape long enough to throw it downfield and create a jump ball situation, more good fortune than stellar quarterback play in my opinion.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

That's what elite QBs do! Trust their thoroughbred WRs 1-on-1 to come down with the ball on the sideline.

Last score of a certain recent SB, anyone?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    In reality, it should have never been thrown, Pappy
    A normal QB who worries about his fantasy numbers wouldn't have thrown that. In Bens mind an interception in that situation is as good as a punt.
    Glad we have a QB that doesn't worry about his stats and allows his receivers to make a play.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

That was an amazing catch by Wallace.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Would you guys call Wallace more of a breadbasket catcher, than a hands catcher?
    Not sure but HOFer Lynn Swann was the biggest "breadbasket" catcher I've ever seen.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Very good read courtesy Wexell. Let's hope Wallace gets some sense so he can keep making great catches.

Really, I only started thinking about Hines because of what being a hero means to not only an organization, but to the person himself. And this is where the part about Mike Wallace begins.
    Yep. This is a business story. But it’s a story about a hero spending his entire career in Pittsburgh and being able to cash his check or anything else in this town anytime he wants. Even today we’re pining for him to out-tough the other team’s tough guy.
    Ward’s a legitimate hero in this town. He managed himself the right way and left with the ability to come and go and use his key to the city any time he pleases.
    Wallace? Well, for $11 million per year instead of $9.5 million per year, he will be able to cash plenty of checks for a few years or so in Tampa. Or Phoenix. Or Seattle.
    Not that it matters. What matters is that he will not become a hero if he leaves after this season, and that appears to be his path. But before he goes he has one last chance to take a look around, to talk to guys like Brandon Johnson and Jerricho Cotchery.
    Johnson is a reserve linebacker who signed with the Steelers after he was cast off by the Bengals.
    Yes, it was embarrassing but Johnson’s a classy guy, too classy to take any verbal swipes at his own team. So here’s what he had to say about his new team:
    “It’s a group that really understands how to win, how to prepare, and how to go about things. From a simple practice to the preparation in the meeting room, I see a group that really understands how to get things done.”
    Brandon Johnson had to go through hell before he went to heaven here in Pittsburgh. So did Cotchery.
    He’s another classy guy, also too classy to take potshots at his old team, the New York Jets, as they prepared to play the Steelers on Sunday.
    Oh, Cotchery said some things the Jets may not have liked, but they were truths, not potshots as he explained why he chose to stay in Pittsburgh instead of re-joining the Jets last April.
    “Pittsburgh really wanted me back here,” he said. “It’s a place I wanted to come back to. I don’t think any team would’ve come between that at that time. It’s just a great atmosphere here. Once you’re a part of this atmosphere, it’s hard to go somewhere else. That’s just the type of atmosphere it is.”
    The atmosphere is such that Cotchery’s really not even worried about gaining any personal satisfaction in beating the Jets.
    “I’m not emotionally attached to playing these guys,” he said. “I’m not. I think my reason for feeling that way right now is the guys in this locker room. They welcomed me from Day One and they made me feel like I was a Steeler. They didn’t care how long I had been with anyone else, once you put on this jersey you’re a Steeler. They embraced me, so it was easy for me to transition.
    “I’m a Steeler. I’m a Steeler,” he said with an almost disbelieving smile. “It’s like everything else doesn’t really have a huge effect on me.”
    A little over the top? Well, if you had seen Cotchery last season – when Wallace overheard me asking Cotchery about a rumored trade back to the Jets, and how Wallace shouted out my question to Ben Roethlisberger, and how Roethlisberger corralled Ward and Wallace and the rest of the players on that side of the room, and how they circled Cotchery and begin chanting, “Jets suck! Jets suck! Jets suck!” – you might understand how Cotchery could feel so strongly about a team. So take a look around, Mike. Talk to some people. Don’t turn your life into just another business story.

"My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

For a one trick pony, interesting that Ben trusts him to come down with a jump ball.......

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Agreed. The good news is that now these teams are going to have to "pick their poison." Do they want to deal with Wallace's speed, the long ball and excellent sideline work? How about a guy like Brown that snags whatever is thrown is way and is dangerous in space after the catch? Then you still have to deal with Sanders, Heath, Cotchery and hopefully Rainey soon.

The challenge will be for Ben to find the mismatches and make the throws. If the first two weeks are any indication, he's well on his way.
    I'm with you Sugar. I think Wallace and Brown are both excellent receivers and each has their own strengths. Add in Sanders who is getting back into his rookie form and I think defenses are going to be in trouble. It won't be easy for them to pick their own poison.

As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    For a one trick pony, interesting that Ben trusts him to come down with a jump ball.......
    And, if he didn't come down with it the Steelers punt or go for it on 4th and 16, down and distance make that decision easy to make, there really isn't any really bad down side to the throw (I guess, an INT and 103 yard return for TD, but Ed Reed doesn't play for the Jets). Third and 16 from the Jet 37 yard line, they need 10 yards for a reasonable FG attempt of 44 yards. Ben is under pressure, scrambles out without finding a 10 yard option and heaves it into the end zone for a jump ball, Wallace adjusts beautifully and comes down with the pass. If it's intercepted, 1st and 10 for the Jets at the 20 and they were struggling to move the ball. If it's knocked down, the Steelers either go for it on 4th or punt. My assumption is that the play was designed to try and pick up the 10 yards for Suisham, but it broke down and Ben does what Ben does and in this instance with very little downside. It was a good play all around.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount