Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Madden: Leaving Might be Ben's Best Bet

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCrash View Post
    Rodgers didn't learn behind Favre. Favre did nothing to help him.

Use Ben correctly and he's got at least 5 years left.

Continue the offense that Dub wants? Cut him tomorrow.
    I guess Rodgers taught behind Favre then....my bad

Favre taught by example...Rodgers just ended up being better
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    This is what most Steeler fans were saying about Tommie Maddox when I was saying they need to draft a franchise QB in 2004.

And no one here has ever suggested throwing Ben away. Did you ever catch my part about only trading Ben if they got a Hershel Walker trade value in return?

That is hardly throwing Ben away.

Fans are like old people. They are so scared of change.
    I don't think anyone was against drafting a QB when we had Maddox. Maddox was a stop gap.. he wasnt a franchise QB. We also didnt have to give him up to get Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCrash View Post
    Rodgers didn't learn behind Favre. Favre did nothing to help him.

Use Ben correctly and he's got at least 5 years left.

Continue the offense that Dub wants? Cut him tomorrow.
    Rodgers learned behind Favre by watching...

Rookie

User Info Menu

This is incorrect.

"The Ravens had reportedly asked Boldin to take a pay cut to help the team with its salary-cap situation. Boldin is scheduled to earn $6 million in the coming season. He carries a $7.531 million salary-cap figure."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9040950/baltimore-ravens-trade-anquan-boldin-san-francisco-49ers-pick-sources[/URL]

Or...

When the Ravens traded Boldin in March, it followed a contract dispute where negotiations went nowhere on the Super Bowl champions' attempt to convince him to take a $2 million pay cut off of his $6 million base salary to lower his $7.531 million salary-cap figure. Following an impressive postseason, Boldin understandably saw no reason why he should accept a dollar less than $6 million.

And the Ravens were dealing with an extremely tight salary-cap situation that prompted them to address Boldin's contract.
    Rather than cut him, which they were on the verge of doing days before the trade, the Ravens unloaded him to the 49ers for a sixth-round draft pick over a competing offer of a seventh-round pick from the Minnesota Vikings.

As a result of the trade, the Ravens picked up $6 million in salary-cap space that granted them the financial resources to obtain reinforcements for their defense, including outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, defensive tackle Chris Canty, free safety Michael Huff, who struggled against Denver, and middle linebacker Daryl Smith.

[URL]http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-looking-back-at-ravens-trade-of-anquan-boldin-as-he-thrives-in-49ers-debut-20130908,0,5220514.story[/URL]
    So, the Ravens had even less dead money than I thought? Thanks for proving my point for me...

As previously pointed out, Ben has much more guaranteed money left on his contract due to restructuring his contract...more than once...that money does not go away if they trade him...nor is it transferable...

The Steelers would have nearly 10% of their cap used up by a player no longer contributing to the team...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    You know what would be cool? If teams could trade cap space with other teams? For example one team could swap $XM in extra cap space for a 1st round pick?

It would never fly, but it could make things interesting and trades more doable no matter the situation.

It also might incent teams to save some cap space to give themselves flexibility.

It's interesting teams like the Pats get loads of credit for stockpiling draft picks every year. But there isn't really a team out there that stockpiles cap space in a similar way to give themselves the flexibility to adapt their team on the fly. I bet someone smart could come up with a way to field a competitive team consistently $10-$20M under the cap. But no one ever does this.

I bet there's a Moneyball for the NFL scenario that's waiting for some mathematician to decipher.
    I've never heard it discussed, but what would the league do if prior to a trade, a player paid back some bonus money to the original team. For example, a player has $10M SB left on a deal to be pro rated over 2 years. Player cuts a check for $5M to reduce the remainder, then gets traded. The new team gives him a new 2 year deal for exactly $5M more than the remaining salary on his current deal. Cap hit increases by the same $5M over the two years.

Would the league allow it? It would be a blatant and obvious move, but who cares, no actual money is affected and the union would be in favor because it likes the idea of player movement.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't think anyone was against drafting a QB when we had Maddox. Maddox was a stop gap.. he wasnt a franchise QB. We also didnt have to give him up to get Ben.
    Then your memory is shot because many of the posters here who where at the TribLive didnt want the Steelers to draft a QB. Most felt that Maddox was sufficient.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Then your memory is shot because many of the posters here who where at the TribLive didnt want the Steelers to draft a QB. Most felt that Maddox was sufficient.
    I wasn't talking about the Trib board. Thank goodness they don't listen to fans on a board because damn near everyone in Pittsburgh I bumped into wanted a QB with that pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I wasn't talking about the Trib board. Thank goodness they don't listen to fans on a board because damn near everyone in Pittsburgh I bumped into wanted a QB with that pick.
    Fans on a board are the same as fans on a street. Dont fool yourself. I remember this very clearly. I took a lot of heat then for my thoughts on Roethlisberger. Very few Steelers fans that I knew wanted a QB to be drafted. And of those who did most wanted Phillip Rivers.

Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Fans on a board are the same as fans on a street. Dont fool yourself. I remember this very clearly. I took a lot of heat then for my thoughts on Roethlisberger. Very few Steelers fans that I knew wanted a QB to be drafted. And of those who did most wanted Phillip Rivers.

Maddox looked like he might be good enough to win the big one. But his game fell off a cliff after his neck injury against Tennessee. He was never the same again. And I think everyone realized Maddox was done at that point and would be happy with a QB.

I just remember I didn't want Rivers or Eli. And I never watched Miami (OH) so I never saw Ben play in college. Although I remember I worked with a guy that was a Miami (OH) alum that talked about Ben all the time. I also remember I dismissed most of what he had to say because I remember I thought the MAC conference was nearly equivalent to AAAA high school football.

So while I was glad not to get Rivers/Eli, I didn't really know what to think about Ben. Everyone should have had doubts about him coming out of the MAC. Even you talk about it all the time Dub about how much value there is in Bama's QB playing in National Championships and in the SEC. I'm kinda surprised you weren't skeptical like most fans given where Ben played college ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

The world is much bigger than a message board. Kudos on wanting a QB when no one else on the Trib did. However, I'm telling you that others DID want a QB... especially in Pittsburgh... lol. They always want another QB in Pittsburgh.

Dont fool yourself into thinking a message board is more than it is...