Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to Steve McClendon???

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    McLendon played a total of three snaps against the Raiders and Cameron Heyward played five snaps. no wonder our DL was so tired in the 4th quarter...
    ...and who makes those decisions that keeps these guys off the field??????????
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

So a 2nd year, 1st round draft choice can't get on the field for more than 5 snaps in a game where the D is putrid, getting pushed around like high schoolers, McFadden runs for over 100, and there is 0 pressure? Something is seriously wrong here. Either Heyward was a reach in the draft or he's being seriously underutilized. I can't imagine he couldn't have been brought in for more snaps just to rest the starters at a minimum. They had drives of 10, 11, 9 , 9 plays in the second half.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    So a 2nd year, 1st round draft choice can't get on the field for more than 5 snaps in a game where the D is putrid, getting pushed around like high schoolers, McFadden runs for over 100, and there is 0 pressure? Something is seriously wrong here. Either Heyward was a reach in the draft or he's being seriously underutilized. I can't imagine he couldn't have been brought in for more snaps just to rest the starters at a minimum. They had drives of 10, 11, 9 , 9 plays in the second half.
    $$$$ I know the DL's "main job" in this defense is to occupy blockers, but we are in serious need of some playmakers right now. McLendon and Heyward might actually get pressure on the QB at times, or knock a ball down, or force a fumble. You know that old Casey is no longer going to do that, and so far, Hood has been pushed around like a dust mop. GET SOME OF THE OTHER GUYS IN, and at least give them a chance. If they suck, too, you can always pull them back out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    training camp hype machine

we've heard similar things with some others too

hood, allen, batch timmons etc tec
    how could you say that about McClendon? I think this has more to do with the great DL benching him for Casey(I was a fan) who clearly didn't show anything in preseason to prove he was ready for game time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    $$$$ I know the DL's "main job" in this defense is to occupy blockers, but we are in serious need of some playmakers right now. McLendon and Heyward might actually get pressure on the QB at times, or knock a ball down, or force a fumble. You know that old Casey is no longer going to do that, and so far, Hood has been pushed around like a dust mop. GET SOME OF THE OTHER GUYS IN, and at least give them a chance. If they suck, too, you can always pull them back out.
    I agree... but I think DL loves his vets so much he doesn't want to hurt their feelings....

We watched Farrior stay on the field too long in passing situations before finally demoting him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Regular season game time is different.
    McClendon was battling against guys likely just coasting through the preseason, established G and Cs. He got the jump on a few, but now they bear down. He's not big enough to man up that spot all game and it was likely seen in game 1.
    Hampton is still holding the spot til Ta'Amu figures it out and gets a full professional year in the weight room. If he doesn't, we are in trouble. McClendon is likely not the long term answer, just the backup.

Legend

User Info Menu

When McClendon was in the game vs Raiders, he was pushing his guy back 2-5 yards EVERY snap. Looked awesome! However we hardly saw him.......
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree... but I think DL loves his vets so much he doesn't want to hurt their feelings....

We watched Farrior stay on the field too long in passing situations before finally demoting him.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. LeBeau is too emotionally attached to "his baby" to be capable of fixing the problems. He has always been overly reliant on older players who know his system best even if they weren't the best athletes. Well has anyone seen our overly complex defense fool anyone recently except for maybe ourseleves?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Regular season game time is different.
    McClendon was battling against guys likely just coasting through the preseason, established G and Cs. He got the jump on a few, but now they bear down. He's not big enough to man up that spot all game and it was likely seen in game 1.
    Hampton is still holding the spot til Ta'Amu figures it out and gets a full professional year in the weight room. If he doesn't, we are in trouble. McClendon is likely not the long term answer, just the backup.
    McClendon looked very good at the end of last year. He wasn't playing against guys that were just coasting then.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

He has always liberally subbed for Casey.

There was a lot of time spent in a passing defense, and for reasons that are incomprehensible to me, Ziggy "No Push" Hood never leaves the field on passing downs.