Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft prospect not mentioned much here

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Draft prospect not mentioned much here

Kenny Vaccaro plays safety but can do more.

Vaccaro lines up as a free and strong safety for the Longhorns defense, but he also can play nickel cornerback in the slot if needed. Now here is a kid Carnell Lake would love to have, being able to play both safety positions AND in a pinch CB.
    Thats some value there, plus he could be Troy or Clarks replacement down the road.

There is a possibility we could get him in the second round, if the Steelers think safety is a priority in the near future.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Kenny Vaccaro plays safety but can do more.

Vaccaro lines up as a free and strong safety for the Longhorns defense, but he also can play nickel cornerback in the slot if needed. Now here is a kid Carnell Lake would love to have, being able to play both safety positions AND in a pinch CB.
    Thats some value there, plus he could be Troy or Clarks replacement down the road.

There is a possibility we could get him in the second round, if the Steelers think safety is a priority in the near future.
    He is the highest rated Safety in the draft and won't be available when we pick in Round 2. He would be a good #1 for us since he does have the flexibility to play both SS and FS and who knows which of the two old guys back there now will be injured week to week.

What may work against Vaccaro is that this is a very deep draft at the Safety position.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

color me wary of texas players.

Legend

User Info Menu

don't mess with Texas...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    color me wary of texas players.
    Casey Hampton worked out well. The rest of the Steelers Texas players - ugh - not so much. I share your skepticism.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Casey Hampton worked out well. The rest of the Steelers Texas players - ugh - not so much. I share your skepticism.
    I think Earl Thomas has proeven to be a pretty good Safety in the NFL given he is one of the best Safeties in the NFL and has made the Pro Bowl. I wouldn't hesitate to take Vaccaro.

I think the caution about Texas players is more on the offensive side of the ball.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think Earl Thomas has proeven to be a pretty good Safety in the NFL given he is one of the best Safeties in the NFL and has made the Pro Bowl. I wouldn't hesitate to take Vaccaro.

I think the caution about Texas players is more on the offensive side of the ball.
    Good point. I was thinking more of Curtis Brown and Sweed.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Good point. I was thinking more of Curtis Brown and Sweed.
    There is nothing wrong with Curtis Brown...yet...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kenny Vaccaro is a good football player. I have seen a lot of Texas over the past couple of years. My opinion is that in the NFL he would struggle at free safety. He is not what you would want cover-wise for that position or even playing over the slot. He is a natural strong safety. And I believe he will be a very good one in the NFL. What you would get out of him from that spot is what you would also get out of T.J. McDonald (who I also feels is better suited for SS).

I've said it many times over the past two years. If you want a safety who could cover (ball hawk), Baccari Rambo is the best. in my opinion.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Kenny Vaccaro is a good football player. I have seen a lot of Texas over the past couple of years. My opinion is that in the NFL he would struggle at free safety. He is not what you would want cover-wise for that position or even playing over the slot. He is a natural strong safety. And I believe he will be a very good one in the NFL. What you would get out of him from that spot is what you would also get out of T.J. McDonald (who I also feels is better suited for SS).

I've said it many times over the past two years. If you want a safety who could cover (ball hawk), Baccari Rambo is the best. in my opinion.
    I think we do want a safety who is a ball hawk so I will go with your recommendation.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!