Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison's Agent Would Welcome Call from Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Sign him for what his cap hit is. That way he's back and we have no risk.
    That isn't how the cap works. Once he was released, his remaining bonuses were accelerated into this season as dead money. His cap hit right now is $4.93M for 2013. Any new contract would go on top of that cap charge.

Legend

User Info Menu

You're all nuts if you don't want him back. He's a wrecking ball.

There's a ton of risk with him: performance, health, attitude, etc. Pay him on a per game basis (yes I know you can't) and see if he can stay on the field or does the back flair up again. Only way I would want to see him back is for vet minimum plus incentives.

He made the bed he is sleeping in by rejecting the Steelers generous offer.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    What an asinine comment. You don't think that these guys get, and rely on, advice from their agents?
    I actually agree with Crash here. Yes, players get advice from their agents every day but all final decisions are ultimately up to the player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I actually agree with Crash here. Yes, players get advice from their agents every day but all final decisions are ultimately up to the player.
    If you are within two years of retirement and the person you pay to advise you tells you that you will make more money somewhere else, would you listen to him?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    There's a ton of risk with him: performance, health, attitude, etc. Pay him on a per game basis (yes I know you can't) and see if he can stay on the field or does the back flair up again. Only way I would want to see him back is for vet minimum plus incentives.

He made the bed he is sleeping in by rejecting the Steelers generous offer.
    Attitude? How is his attitude a risk? He's been one of the hardest working guys on the team for years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bouchette says the Steelers are no longer interested, FWIW:

[URL="http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/120451-ed-steelers-close-the-door-on-james-harrison"]Ed: Steelers Close the Door on James Harrison[/URL]

TUESDAY, 26 MARCH 2013 08:03
    WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE
    [URL="http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=df02fe80eadbca8f85902b63d9091 61ee24c08b8"][/URL]

Good morning,
    Never say never, but the Steelers have informed James Harrison that they no longer are interested in him playing for them in 2013, according to a source.
    Harrison has no offers and no known visits scheduled after he traveled to Baltimore Sunday for a Monday physical and a meeting with the Ravens only to learn that they had signed former Denver defensive end Elvis Dumervil that day and canceled his appointment. The Ravens plan to use Dumervil at outside linebacker in their 3-4 defense.
    Bill Parise, Harrison’s agent, said on Monday that he “has a couple things going on” with teams in the NFL. However, the Steelers are not one of them and let Harrison know over the weekend they have decided to go with others at his old position at right outside linebacker.
    That decision likely was formed not long after the Steelers released Harrison March 9 when the two sides could not agree on how much of a paycut the five-time Pro Bowl linebacker would take from his scheduled 2013 salary of $6.57 million.
    The Steelers have at least kicked the tires of other veteran outside linebackers who are free agents. They had former Cowboys backup Victor Butler for a visit, and have reportedly been interested in Dumervil and former Colts defensive end/linebacker Dwight Freeney, who remains free after he was released by Indianapolis. Butler has visited three teams and left without a contract, first with the Steelers, then with the Saints and on Monday in Cleveland. He will next visit the Philadelphia Eagles, according to reports. Billy Davis, a former Steelers assistant coach, is the Eagles defensive coordinator.
    The top candidate to replace Harrison at outside linebacker is Jason Worilds, the Steelers’ second-round draft choice in 2009. Worilds has been stuck behind Harrison and LaMarr Woodley and has played usually only on the left side when Woodley has been injured. Worilds played in all 16 games last season and started three for the injured Woodley. He had five sacks and 26 total tackles. He started 10 games in his career and has eight career sacks.
    “I believe that Jason Worilds is champing at the bit to prove he is capable of being that,’’ Mike Tomlin said last week at the NFL meetings. “When I first got to Pittsburgh in 2007, and we had to let go of Joey Porter, there was a guy that came in my office that was ready to prove that he was capable of 900-1,000 snaps a year. His name was James Harrison. We will see what Worilds is capable of doing.”
    One footnote here: Back then, Tomlin told people in the organization that it was a “no-brainer” to release Porter and his big salary in favor of Harrison after watching tape of the two. This one, obviously, has not been a no-brainer or otherwise the Steelers would not have negotiated with Harrison to take a paycut and return at age 35.
    Chris Carter would be another possibility at right outside linebacker, although he was unimpressive when he started the first three games of the 2012 season for Harrison as he rehabbed from knee surgery. Carter had six total tackles in those games and no sacks. He ultimately went on injured reserve with an abdominal injury and also missed 1 ½ games with a hamstring injury. The Steelers drafted Carter in the fifth round in 2011.
    One very outside possibility to move to Harrison’s spot is Lawrence Timmons, who has played there and started there because of injuries. However, the Steelers hope to keep Timmons at inside linebacker, where he was their best defensive player last season.
    The Steelers could draft an outside linebacker and put him there. However, they have not drafted one who has been able to start there consistently as a rookie since they moved to the 3-4 defense in 1982. They also have not drafted someone to play outside linebacker in the first round since Huey Richardson in 1991 and the Florida defensive end could not make the transition and never played a snap for the Steelers, who cut him after one season.
    Timmons has been the only linebacker they’ve drafted in the first round since then and, after an initial thought to using him on the outside, they put him at inside linebacker as his primary position. It took Timmons, drafted in 2007, until his third season before he moved into his starting job.
    The final possibility to fill Harrison’s job would be for the Steelers to sign someone in free agency.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    He'd likely have to come back for a league minimum contract.

I feel bad for Harrison. He's probably caught up in taking some bad advice. By all accounts, he's been the hardest working Steeler on the roster since he's been here. He's also been arguably one of the best defensive players to ever lace em up. Why should he take a pay cut?

Sure we can all say he's old. And he's injured. And he's past his prime. Maybe true. Maybe not. Apparently the coaches don't think so based on them wanting him back. Whatever it is, I'm sure the competitive nature of James probably won't let his mind believe he's on the decline. He probably thinks he's the same guy he was when he was in his 20s. Heck, I still think I'm way younger than I actually am in my mind. It leads me to do all kinds of things my body reminds me I shouldn't have been doing a day later. But I never seem to get the point either.

If we can somehow get him back, he'd still be one of the 3 superstars on this team. I'm kinda on James side on this. He probably deserves to get paid. And I'd love for him to get the chance to prove it with an offseason to get healthy again. I think everyone in the league is making a mistake on him.
    I get what you are saying. But keep in mind he was paid his full salary last season even though he was largely ineffective for at least 1/2 of it. The Steelers didn't ask for money back, but this season they wanted the hometown discount and he balked (or his agent did). On balance, I think the Steelers offer was more than fair but obviously James didn't see it the same way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If you are within two years of retirement and the person you pay to advise you tells you that you will make more money somewhere else, would you listen to him?
    Yes I would listen and take his advice into consideration. Harrison has three options at this point: wait for offer, sign with the Steelers (if they're still interested) at a reduced rate or retire. It's a tough decision and it's Harrison's to make not his agent.

Legend

User Info Menu

You're all nuts if you don't want him back. He's a wrecking ball.

Yep... all this "pride got the best of him crap and not crawling back" is hilarious...

No one in the locker room is going to look at Harrison and laugh... unless Harrison makes a joke about it.

Players understand FA is a gamble and it doesn't always work out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Yep... all this "pride got the best of him crap and not crawling back" is hilarious...

No one in the locker room is going to look at Harrison and laugh... unless Harrison makes a joke about it.

Players understand FA is a gamble and it doesn't always work out.
    It usually works best for the young, not the aged. John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, James Harrison... all still waiting by the phone.