Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colbert & Tomlin at Michigan St Pro Day Scouting Darqueze Dennard?

Legend

User Info Menu

Colbert & Tomlin at Michigan St Pro Day Scouting Darqueze Dennard?

An added benefit to Ike Taylor returning

March, 11, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Ike Taylor returning for one more season provides some stability at a position where the Pittsburgh Steelers are perilously thin.

It also provides the perfect opportunity for the Steelers to draft two cornerbacks, something they did in 2011 with mixed results, and turn them into Taylor’s shadows.

Among the many things Taylor can teach rookie cornerbacks is how to be a professional. Aside from maybe wide receiver Antonio Brown, no one in the Steelers’ locker room works harder than Taylor.

He is in terrific shape, and his maniacal work ethic is a main reason why Taylor’s play has slipped a little with age but not fallen off dramatically as is often the case for players who are pushing 34.

Taylor returning to the Steelers in 2014 does nothing to minimize their long-term need at cornerback, which is why they have to draft two of them.

The bigger question is whether this is the year the Steelers finally use a first-round pick on a cornerback, something they haven’t done since 1997 when they took Chad Scott with the 24th overall selection.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin are at Michigan State's pro day today, according to the Detroit Free Press, and their presence will further fuel speculation that the organization will target Darqueze Dennard with its first-round pick.

Dennard and Oklahoma State’s Justin Gilbert are widely considered the top cornerbacks in what is a deep draft at the position.

A consensus All-American in 2013, Dennard is a physical cornerback who can provide run support as well as stick to opposing wide receivers. He didn’t run a great 40-yard dash time (4.51 seconds) at the NFL scouting combine last month, but his time didn’t raise any red flags either.

Dennard, who broke up 14 passes and made four interceptions in helping the Spartans win the Big Ten in 2013, is the 18th-best player in the draft, according to ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr.

Here is what Kiper wrote about Dennard:

"He's the most versatile defensive back in the draft, with proven skill in any area of coverage. Dennard can play up and redirect routes or off in zone and make plays in front of him. He'll blanket even really good receivers in man-to-man, and he turns his head well to avoid penalties that could be called were he not to show ball awareness, given how tightly he can play in coverage. It's all there."

Whether the Steelers take Dennard or another cornerback in the first round remains to be seen. They have generally waited until the middle rounds to draft cornerbacks, something they did with the three veteran ones on their roster.

Taylor and Cortez Allen were fourth-round picks, and William Gay was a fifth-round selection.

No matter where the Steelers draft cornerbacks this year, those players will have no better mentor than Taylor.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/78211/an-added-benefit-to-ike-taylor-returning[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I also believe that this is the year that Cortez makes a big jump. He is entering his fourth year and has shown promise.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

My guess is they take Dennard if he is there. That way, they can allow for the Dick Leboo process of loathing to start a rookie their first season. Dennard is the pick. Best fit. Makes most sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

ugh... we got what, 6 more weeks...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    He is entering his fourth year and has shown promise.
    Which means we have a big contract decision to make on Cortez after this season. Could be same situation as Lewis...comes into his own in fourth season and wnats big payday. Hopefully we don't let him walk too.

I can see us taking two CBs this draft and taking Dennard at #15.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The are ALWAYS at Mich st

I would not mind dennard at 15 at all, ive said a lot id prefer gilbert but dennard could definitely be their guy

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Cortez plays well and the Steelers draft Dennard #1, there is no big decision...Dennard would be playing on a rookie contract and Ike will be off the books...you keep Allen, period.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    ugh... we got what, 6 more weeks...
    I know bro, it's killing me...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

please please please extend Cortez this offseason if he looks good in preseason games

and absolutely draft Dennard unless a guy like Mike Evans is available

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'd be good with Dennard as the pick or Gilbert. We need to rebuild that secondary.

FS is covered and Thomas is likely the future SS. CB is the missing link.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.