User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger makes his WRs better

Through their first eight games...

Antonio Brown:
    61 catches, 701 yards, 3 TD
    Emmanuel Sanders: 37 catches, 494 yards, 2 TD
    Jerricho Cotchery: 29 catches, 424 yards, 5 TD

Mike Wallace: 36 catches, 480 yards, TD

Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders have more catches, more yards and more TDs through their first eight games than Mike Wallace does. Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery have more yards per catch. All three have more TDs. Clearly, Ben Roethlisberger makes his WRs better.

With that said, a tall, thick WR should help open the offense up even more.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben is clearly a better qb than Tannenhill, and he does make his WR's better, but not to the extent that a guy like Brady or Manning do. Having said that, Ben is improving almost the same way those guys did.

Legend

User Info Menu

But so what given the Steelers are trading Ben (sarcasm)
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Ben is clearly a better qb than Tannenhill, and he does make his WR's better, but not to the extent that a guy like Brady or Manning do. Having said that, Ben is improving almost the same way those guys did.
    I think Ben's career arc is very similar to John Elway's. Early success followed by a lull then ending with a bang.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think Ben's career arc is very similar to John Elway's. Early success followed by a lull then ending with a bang.
    If that's true, do you trust the Steelers enough to set him up for success later on? Right now, I have my doubts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    If that's true, do you trust the Steelers enough to set him up for success later on? Right now, I have my doubts.

I have zero doubts they can. I fully expected this season to be a tough one. You can only draft at the bottom of each round for so long before it effects you plus unlike the Patriots we have been too obsessed with keeping our aging veterans. This has put us in cap hell which has limited our flexibility to respond to serious issues like our OL. Fix the OL and this team immediately becomes much better.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben makes his receivers much better. With most QBs behind this line, the receivers would have about three seconds to get open before they must be prepared to see the ball. Ben often gives them 7-8 seconds to shake the defender.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I have zero doubts they can. I fully expected this season to be a tough one. You can only draft at the bottom of each round for so long before it effects you plus unlike the Patriots we have been too obsessed with keeping our aging veterans. This has put us in cap hell which has limited our flexibility to respond to serious issues like our OL. Fix the OL and this team immediately becomes much better.
    They need more talent and need to control their salary cap, but there's more that needs to be done. The Steelers are poorly coached and keep trying to play a style of football that no longer exists. Will they be willing to cut loose the coaches that haven't been doing their jobs? Will they be willing to adjust their philosophies to fit that of the modern era NFL?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    They need more talent and need to control their salary cap, but there's more that needs to be done. The Steelers are poorly coached and keep trying to play a style of football that no longer exists. Will they be willing to cut loose the coaches that haven't been doing their jobs? Will they be willing to adjust their philosophies to fit that of the modern era NFL?
    Until Art II gets over his 'back to Steeler football" thinking,it doesn't matter who coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Ben makes his receivers much better. With most QBs behind this line, the receivers would have about three seconds to get open before they must be prepared to see the ball. Ben often gives them 7-8 seconds to shake the defender.
    Chadman wonders if other posters will see the hidden wisdom in this comment.

Ben buys time, over & over & over to allow these WR's to get open. Few WR's in this league have that fortune. But it comes at a cost- and that cost is paid for by the 5 guys in front of Ben.

The result of having to buy time for the WR's is that Ben's sack totals are blown out of proportion.

Imagine how many sacks fewer we'd see if some of these WR's were open after 3 seconds, or if they were viable targets even when covered.

Not saying the WR's on the roster are bad, but they certainly don't do Ben or the OL any favours.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S