Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers fans on the road....some are a disgrace

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I won't take my kids and have passed on opportunities to go to games because of the number of drunks that surround you at them. It has gotten totally out of hand. Unfortunately, someone is probably going to have to get killed before the Steelers and the NFL crack down on the drunken idiots who go to games. The viewing experience is much better at home courtesy the the NFL Ticket and La-Z-Boy.
    There was a kid that got killed after a Phillies game a few years back. I think someone's got shot after a Raiders game too. There was a SF fan that got beaten at a Dodgers game until he had brain damage.

The link I provided above shows people many years ago wearing suits to sporting events and being well behaved. It suggests that the downfall of society is what leads to people doing stupid stuff.

In the past families stayed together, now most people are divorced. And people don't go to church and believe in God like they used to. So the only place they find they belong is with other like minded sports fans. But there's no moral basis for the group like there would be in a family or church.

I never really considered this before, but the biggest downfall not only for sports, but life in general is the disappearing family and God.

Legend

User Info Menu

Unfortunately this behavior goes on right in Heinz field as well. I went back to Pgh for Christmas a few years back and we got tickets to a game on Christmas Eve. We had good tickets ($$$) and the guys in front of us couldn't go one sentence withoug dropping an F bomb. A few rows down a young guy was so drunk he fell over a few times and eventually onto the row in front of him. He also decided to go shirtless on Dec 24th in Pittsburgh. His girlfriend was only slightly more sober. The language all around in general made a Tarantino film sound tame. I was with my mother. I can see why a person would not take their kids, and that's sad.

I'm no prude. But going to a sporting event shouldn't be like goingto Marde Gras in New Orleans or a night in Vegas (I've done both multiple times!).

Starter

User Info Menu

I was at the AFC Championship a couple years back when we came back against Baltimore. There was a guy a row back from me screaming incredibly mean-spirited and foul things at a couple of Baltimore fans who were simply watching the game a few rows up. The Baltimore fans were a couple of middle-aged women without men, who looked like and probably were lesbians. So the creep behind me was yelling obscene taunts based on that as well.

It was really out of line and I wanted to do something, but when I turned around I saw he was with his mentally handicapped daughter. I couldn't believe that is how he behaved. Such a horrible example. I was too embarrassed for everyone to say anything. I gave him some dirty looks, but he was oblivious. Eventually, the guy just wore himself out and stopped.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The link I provided above shows people many years ago wearing suits to sporting events and being well behaved. It suggests that the downfall of society is what leads to people doing stupid stuff.

In the past families stayed together, now most people are divorced. And people don't go to church and believe in God like they used to. So the only place they find they belong is with other like minded sports fans. But there's no moral basis for the group like there would be in a family or church.

I never really considered this before, but the biggest downfall not only for sports, but life in general is the disappearing family and God.

Welcome to good solid thinking.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    There was a kid that got killed after a Phillies game a few years back. I think someone's got shot after a Raiders game too. There was a SF fan that got beaten at a Dodgers game until he had brain damage.

You're spot on. The feminist movement has had a lot to do with the disappearing family. God is still around but his wrath doesn't seem to scare too many people anymore unfortunately.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RKSteel View Post
    RB, at least you didn't have the beer throwing drunk chick near your section during the Chargers game. Apparently she was upset that fans were leaving when the Steeles were losing by 24pts and decide to douse some guy.
    Near the end of the game, though, it was raining hard enough that perhaps most of that beer got washed off. Think of how much it cost to pay for that beer she threw...we are probably nearing a buck an ounce for that stuff in stadiums now. I'm perfectly happy with a Mountain Dew instead (which I get free courtesy of the designated driver booths) to whet my whistle while we are on defense, so I don't totally destroy my vocal cords from screaming (my screaming consists of things like "DEE-FENSE," "C'MON DEE, LET'S GO DEE" and things like that instead of obscenities, though, even when we are losing by 24).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Welcome to good solid thinking.
    But I have no idea what the solution is. How do you keep families together? And is even that everything? Some people do ok without the family structure somehow. I realize that's not the norm. But how and why do some make it?

God's another tough one? How do you get people to have a moral compass that aligns with the teachings of religion. They're fundamentally sound whether or not someone believes in God. But the ongoing problem I see is people have access to so much information it becomes difficult to fathom the reality of God. But there are lots of people I know again who don't have God, but they have a moral compass and lead good lives. How do they do it without God?

I couldn't imagine not being a decent human being in any situation and I'm just your average dumb poor schmuck. I grew up with both a solid family and God. Maybe that had an impact, but in my personal situation, I was afraid to do anything wrong intentionally. We all do messed up stuff from time to time. But I've never had a rebellious gene in my body. And I've always wondered how people that mess up do the things they do? Is it just in their nature and much like me they can't help choosing the path the choose.

I guess what I'm saying is I know everyone has freedom to choose. But are the choice we make a result of something already ingrained within us that's outside of our own control?

I know my thinking here seems flawed, but I genuinely believe everyone is inherently good. And thinking someone could consciously make a negative decision does not compute for me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    You're spot on. The feminist movement has had a lot to do with the disappearing family. God is still around but his wrath doesn't seem to scare too many people anymore unfortunately.
    I never thought about this. But I'm starting to wonder was this all driven by greed. The rich needed to expand the work force to reduce labor costs. So they marketed feminism to women who never really wanted it in the first place? It drove down wages and necessitated families have multiple incomes in today's world to get all the stuff the rich people tell you that you need to have.

So they effectively weaved greed into the culture and created consumerism which drove major divides in families and society. It's all like a matured version of slavery. Building of a cultural divide. The more you tear people apart, the more anger and animosity. Then you bring them together with sports and align them against others and the anger from the greed driven divide manifests itself in stadiums and lunacy and fan violence.

The world has become so corrupted, the only way for a sane person to escape may just be alcohol or medications. Everyone's on some kind of medication and those who aren't likely are getting chemicals in the food and water supply. We get dumber, poorer, focused on materialism, and it's just all messed up.

Now we've got Steeler fans peeing on themselves and not even realizing it. So sad.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The problem is way larger than the mere divorce rate and lack of God-fearing presence. But those are manifestations of the larger problem, which is the denigration of total society in general. Too many causes to list here. But you know things are getting bad when Fireman Ed called it quits as the unofficial Jets' mascot. He grew tired of things being thrown at him, etc. since he wore a Sanchez jersey. To be fair, I would HATE Sanchez as my QB too (he just sucks), but I wouldn't throw things at the most iconic fan figure in Jets' history over it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was there with 30 of my family and friends...didn't see anyone out of order...trip was like a 2 for 1, we thought we were in Pittsburgh
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...