Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over the last 25 years, the Steelers have started 0-2 four times.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Do you honestly think BA's offense would work any better with the current personnel (Adams, Foster, Velasco, DeCastro, Gilbert, Paulson, Redman, Cotchery, Brown, Sanders)?
    Yes, I do and here's why:

1) It allowed Ben Roethlisberger to play football the best way he knows how
    2) Arians offense used players strengths and put players in a position to succeed

Arians offense was pitiful in the red zone, but Haley's is pitiful for the entire 100 yards of grass. An offense that does the following is idiotic, IMO.

1) Takes Sanders and Brown out of the game to run an end around with the slowest WR on the team is a bad idea
    2) Running the ball three times to start the game, because that's how they did it in the 70s is a bad idea
    3) Trying to run behind a TE that is incapable of laying a hand on an opponent is a bad idea
    4) Not giving the most productive 1st half running back one touch in the 2nd half is just plain ignorant
    5) Giving Isaac Redmon anything more than 5 plays per game isn't going to strike fear in any defense
    6) Actually believing that you're somehow fooling an NFL defense by splitting Redmon out wide as the 5th receiver is a joke
    7) Not turning the game over to Ben is the biggest blunder and for that reason alone Tomlin should have jerked the headset form him

A coach should put players in a position to succeed; it appears that Haley is trying as hard as he can to ensure that the offense fails.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

If BA was still here they might (might is the key word) be moving the ball more between the 20's but they'd still not be scoring TDs, just as they didn't when he was here. It's easy to look back in the past with rose colored glasses but this team SUCKED in the redzone and especially inside the 10 or even 5.

I used to pray the Steelers would score on long passes or an RB would break one as I knew when they got it close BA would F it up and they'd be kicking a FG instead of getting 7.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    If BA was still here they might (might is the key word) be moving the ball more between the 20's but they'd still not be scoring TDs, just as they didn't when he was here. It's easy to look back in the past with rose colored glasses but this team SUCKED in the redzone and especially inside the 10 or even 5.

I used to pray the Steelers would score on long passes or an RB would break one as I knew when they got it close BA would F it up and they'd be kicking a FG instead of getting 7.
    At least it would keep the defense off the field to some degree. The defense played almost an extra 1/3 of football Monday night, they were on the field for 80 snaps, that's too much in today's NFL, you will get tired chasing WRs and you will have long drives against you late in the game (which happened).

pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    2) Arians offense used players strengths and put players in a position to succeed
    I love reading your posts, but you couldn't have been serious when you wrote that...

Legend

User Info Menu

BA is like an ex girlfriend. You break up and after 6 months of not getting laid and you start thinking, "she wasn't too crazy", "she wasn't a TOTAL b!tch", "she didn't nag me all the time". You start to look back fondly on the madness and wonder if you made a mistake. Maybe she was sweet after all. What you need is an ugly or fat girl as a slump-buster. Isn't pretty, you might not tell your friends, you're not especially proud, but it gets you off the slide. All of sudden you're back! You realize you're better off without the bat-sh*t crazy ex and you're ready to move on. Let's get 'er done!

That's what the Steelers need. Treat the Bears like a slump-buster. Doesn't have to be pretty. Feel free to sneak out when they're done. May not be bragging to their buddies. But it puts them back on the road to glory!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I love reading your posts, but you couldn't have been serious when you wrote that...
    I am actually, BA's offense was horrendous in the red zone, but he managed to put players (no matter who) in the game and into situations in which they could succeed. Did he call too many bubble screens and WR screens, absolutely, but at least they were to play makers. I may be misremembering a lot, but I never hated Arians and his offense. I always thought the players failed in the red zone more than BA's offense did. Right now the offense is failing all over the field and that includes a pretty good quarterback named Ben Roethlisberger.

He also allowed Ben to be Ben which might have been his greatest strength as an OC.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think it's rose colored glasses... BA is a better OC than Haley IMO. I know it's hard to fathom but BA wasn't the worst OC in the history of football. The RZ was atrocious with BA but at least we got in the RZ... and some of that is also on Ben. He's never been a great RZ QB IMO unless he was throwing the slant to Hines... thus, BA came up with this great idea to try and score from 30. 40 and 50 yards out and it worked pretty well.

We were a big play team.. we did it with Nate Washington, Sweed coulda should been, Wallace had plenty and even Brown had 3 40+ receptions in 2011.

BA effed it up in the RZ but remember.. those failed RZ opportunities still put our D in a great position even if we didn't score.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I am actually, BA's offense was horrendous in the red zone, but he managed to put players (no matter who) in the game and into situations in which they could succeed. Did he call too many bubble screens and WR screens, absolutely, but at least they were to play makers. I may be misremembering a lot, but I never hated Arians and his offense. I always thought the players failed in the red zone more than BA's offense did. Right now the offense is failing all over the field and that includes a pretty good quarterback named Ben Roethlisberger.

He also allowed Ben to be Ben which might have been his greatest strength as an OC.

Pappy
    yes... and the WR's loved playing for BA because he gave them a chance to shine and get PAID.

A few... a chosen few tried to warn the board that BA wasn't nearly as bad and it COULD get worse. Welp... now we see.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let me just add the following about Ben and the Steelers. It is now Ben's 10th year (I think) and the Steeler front office still doesn't understand that they have a very unique franchise quarterback who is not like any other quarterback past or present, John Elway comes to mind as the quarterback most resembling Ben in style of play, competitiveness and football savvy. No other quarterback is even close.

Until the light bulb goes off and the front office eats a little humble pie and gives the offense over to Ben with an OC that will work with Ben's strengths and not against them the Steelers probably won't do real great on offense. They might, I suppose if you have a big enough hammer you can finally get the square peg in a round hole, but the effort involved probably isn't worth it.

I just wish they would sit back and enjoy the show that is Ben Roethlisberger, because, when he's running the show it's exciting and at times frustrating, but almost always successful.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

BA is like an ex girlfriend. You break up and after 6 months of not getting laid and you start thinking, "she wasn't too crazy", "she wasn't a TOTAL b!tch", "she didn't nag me all the time". You start to look back fondly on the madness and wonder if you made a mistake. Maybe she was sweet after all. What you need is an ugly or fat girl as a slump-buster. Isn't pretty, you might not tell your friends, you're not especially proud, but it gets you off the slide. All of sudden you're back! You realize you're better off without the bat-sh*t crazy ex and you're ready to move on. Let's get 'er done!

That's what the Steelers need. Treat the Bears like a slump-buster. Doesn't have to be pretty. Feel free to sneak out when they're done. May not be bragging to their buddies. But it puts them back on the road to glory!
    In your analogy Haley is the slump buster.... time to move on.