Rookie

User Info Menu

Timmions is first two Restructure

Cuts cap by 5 Million

Legend

User Info Menu

It's a start

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lawrence Timmons restructures contract, Steelers save $5 million

By SteelCityRoller on Feb 26,

Hours after rumors began to swirl about possible restructures before the end of the week, Albert Breer reports Timmons' deal is done.

The first restructure of the off-season has been reported for the Pittsburgh Steelers. According to Albert Breer of NFL.com and NFL Network, Lawrence Timmons restructured his deal today, and the team is expected to save approximately $5 million against the 2013 NFL salary cap.

The restructures of Timmons and Ben Roethlisberger were expected. With Timmons confirmed, news on Roethlisberger should come shortly. LaMarr Woodley is also widely considered a candidate for restructure, leaving the team about $6 million to clear with his.

Timmons was scheduled for a base salary of $5.375 million plus a $2.5 million roster bonus - which is restructurable - in 2013. His restructure turned part of his convertible salary into a signing bonus, which for cap purposes spread the amount of converted salary across the four years remaining on his contract, counting 2013. In other words, the Steelers saved $5 million against 2013, but added almost $1.7 million in dead money to each of the three remaining years. This also means, Timmons' resulting signing bonus was in the neighborhood of $6.7 million, which he received up front. Any remaining money will be paid out to him on a weekly basis per CBA policies.

The Steelers still have some work to do to prepare for the March 12th deadline, when they must be cap compliant to the rule of 51. Good news speculated by PFT is placing the new salary cap even higher, suggesting it could surpass $123 million. This alleviates some of the need for cap space, but not all.

Mr. Roethlisberger, you're on the clock.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/26/4034062/lawrence-timmons-restructures-contract-steelers-save-5-million[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wouldn't rule out Harrison yet from restructuring. He is due 6.57 mill this year and I think 7.57 in 2014, they could convert most of his 2013 salary into a signing bonus to free up cap space and the possibility of retaining Harrison for one more year.
    I don't know if the Steelers are that confident in Worlids in all phases of that position, Harrison when healthy can get to the QB, stop the run where Worlids hasn't shown he can do both when he got his chance.
    When Harrison and Woodley are both healthy they still are two of the best in the game, they can be difference makers to help our team and I think most fans would be happy if they work out a deal

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I wouldn't rule out Harrison yet from restructuring. He is due 6.57 mill this year and I think 7.57 in 2014, they could convert most of his 2013 salary into a signing bonus to free up cap space and the possibility of retaining Harrison for one more year.
    I don't know if the Steelers are that confident in Worlids in all phases of that position, Harrison when healthy can get to the QB, stop the run where Worlids hasn't shown he can do both when he got his chance.
    When Harrison and Woodley are both healthy they still are two of the best in the game, they can be difference makers to help our team and I think most fans would be happy if they work out a deal
    You can't restructure Harrison. Doing that would give him a cap hit of over $13M next year with about $6M of that being bonus. We can neither pay him that kind of money, nor absorb that kind of dead cap hit.

Harrison will need to either take a pay cut or, unfortunately, be released.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    You can't restructure Harrison. Doing that would give him a cap hit of over $13M next year with about $6M of that being bonus. We can neither pay him that kind of money, nor absorb that kind of dead cap hit.

Harrison will need to either take a pay cut or, unfortunately, be released.

Per article in the Post Gazette Ed Bouchette:

Harrison's case might be different. He is due $6.57 million this year and $7.57 million in 2014. Conceivably, they could turn most of his 2013 salary into a bonus and save some room. They also could ask him, at age 35, to take a pay cut, something they have done on occasion in the past, most recently with nose tackle Casey Hampton in 2012. Parise said neither option was discussed in Indianapolis, but they plan to meet again.

Read more: [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/timmons-reworks-deal-with-steelers-roethlisberger-is-next-677009/#ixzz2M7qJjhry[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Per article in the Post Gazette Ed Bouchette:

Harrison's case might be different. He is due $6.57 million this year and $7.57 million in 2014. Conceivably, they could turn most of his 2013 salary into a bonus and save some room. They also could ask him, at age 35, to take a pay cut, something they have done on occasion in the past, most recently with nose tackle Casey Hampton in 2012. Parise said neither option was discussed in Indianapolis, but they plan to meet again.

Read more: [URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/timmons-reworks-deal-with-steelers-roethlisberger-is-next-677009/#ixzz2M7qJjhry[/URL]
    Read the article, it was pointless crap for the most part. You can come back to say whatever you want if I am wrong, but no way does he get a restructure. Pay cut yes, restructure no.

And to be clear, a restructure is when the player takes current salary and has it turned into SB. No less money received in total, and he gets that portion up front. Cap hits in total remain the same in through the remaining years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Problem with Harrison is even before you pay him 1 cent of his $6,570,000 base for 2013 he already counts $3,465,00 against the cap. Even if you restructure to the lowest number...His vet min for 2013 would be $950,000. That is all he would pocket $950,000 and his cap hit would be $4,415,000. Harrison won't do that by all reports. That escalates his 2014 cap hit to $14,660,000 if he plays or creates over $7 mil of dead money if you release him. I don't see a common ground for them to stand on.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Problem with Harrison is even before you pay him 1 cent of his $6,570,000 base for 2013 he already counts $3,465,00 against the cap. Even if you restructure to the lowest number...His vet min for 2013 would be $950,000. That is all he would pocket $950,000 and his cap hit would be $4,415,000. Harrison won't do that by all reports. That escalates his 2014 cap hit to $14,660,000 if he plays or creates over $7 mil of dead money if you release him. I don't see a common ground for them to stand on.
    He's cut and I don't see him re-signing.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    l

They should offer him a Tom Brady-esque deal...give him his salary guaranteed, up front for this year and add a phantom year or two to the current deal, enabling the signing bonus to be spread out...