Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lebeua's Significant Adjustments

Legend

User Info Menu

Lebeua's Significant Adjustments

I know the myth continues around here that DL is old and can't adjust to the modern NFL, but I think nothing is further from the case based on what I've been noticing.

I still haven't gone back and watched the game, but it seemed like we had 6 DBs on the field the entire game against the Ravens. It seems like Troy has effectively replaced Williams and is being used as our 4th LB. Troy and Timmons were lined up all over the place. I had a hard time figuring out where they were on quite a few plays from the stands. And it also seems like we hardly use McClendon and just have Keisel/Heyward as our DLine.

There's all of a sudden this really fast D on the field. All the DBs on the field are making it difficult to pass against us. And surprisingly, Ray Rice didn't have room to run even though we had a dime personnel on the field almost the entire game.

I'm not even sure what to call this package? It's like a hybrid of dime/nickle that has become our base defense. Maybe we were doing it because of the offensive matchups? But it really does look like we've got the best 11 players on the field together for the majority of snaps. And it seems like a lot of guys are being used a little different than traditional like Troy, Timmons, Shark and Keisel and Heyward are being used a little to try and create pressure.

I think Lebeau has really tried to adjust the D since the bye week. He's effectively replaced McClendon/Williams with Shark/Troy and is keeping Tez/Gay on the field for nearly every snap. Looks completely different to me.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Its the nickel defense with Troy P as a middle LB. Funny thing, it worked great all game but then they were in and out of it during the game tying TD drive.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Rookie

User Info Menu

LeBeau has always preferred the dime over the nickel sub package...with the addition of Shamarko to Polamalu and Timmons, he has some fantastic athletes to work with...

Legend

User Info Menu

They call it the quarter defense...
    Worked well until the Ravens scored that easy game-tieing TD

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    They call it the quarter defense...
    Worked well until the Ravens scored that easy game-tieing TD
    I thought the quarter defense was 7 DBS
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Backup

User Info Menu

I thought the quarter defense was 25 DB's.

Legend

User Info Menu

Agree 100% flippy. The D started the season awful. Foote was lost for the season, and has been replaced by Wilson/Williams, then just Williams, then some kind of hybrid Troy thing.

Hood replaced by Heyward, although that did a longer time in coming

Allen replaced by Gay as the #2 CB, but then brought onto the field again more when they went to the quarter/dime/nickel package more often

Shamarko, a rook, given plenty of snaps as his play has warranted

D has given up 22 points in the last two games. It also helps that they were not being constantly put on a short field as they had the first four games.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    It also helps that they were not being constantly put on a short field as they had the first four games.
    $$$$$$
    Not to say the D hasn't been better, but this is probably the biggest reason for the reduction in points allowed the past couple of weeks...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    $$$$$$
    Not to say the D hasn't been better, but this is probably the biggest reason for the reduction in points allowed the past couple of weeks...
    The formula that has proven to work for the Steelers in the past:

Good D + 22 pts + No TOs = Wins

.... simple math

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

well before we declare all things fixed with the defense - it's important to note that the ravens have been terrible with the run this year. I believe rice is still nursing some nagging injuries and lebeau simply game planned around defending the pass and daring them to run. it was a good game plan, we had the players to execute it and it did the trick. but i'm not prepared to say we are all of a sudden a sneaky defense that is confusing the other team......
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!