Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The defense

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The defense

All everyone ever seems to talk about is the offense. What about the defense? Zero turnovers. Again. When we needed them to step up for a key stop, Jay Cutler runs over Robert Golden like a little girl. (I wish "the Lake Effect" would teach him how to not get freight-trained by a QB.)

Zero turnovers... After last week's performance of... zero turnovers. At least the offense came back from a putrid performance last week to show signs of life. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we're going to go to London this week and get... zero turnovers.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I wish the offense had zero turnovers...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    All everyone ever seems to talk about is the offense. What about the defense? Zero turnovers. Again. When we needed them to step up for a key stop, Jay Cutler runs over Robert Golden like a little girl. (I wish "the Lake Effect" would teach him how to not get freight-trained by a QB.)

Zero turnovers... After last week's performance of... zero turnovers. At least the offense came back from a putrid performance last week to show signs of life. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we're going to go to London this week and get... zero turnovers.
    Culmination of a three year trend that this defense can't make a critical play happen at a critical time. The league knows exactly what to expect and they have adjusted. The master of the "zone blitz" that is suppose to pressure QBs into mistakes and create turnovers has no answers. The Bears started the game playing right to the script of how to beat the Steelers. Quick, high percentage short passes that take advantage the the big cushions the CBs give the WRs.

I said it two years ago...we need a new Off Coord and Def Coord.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Zero turnovers and while he kept Marshall in check for nearly the entire game, Taylor gives up a big play when they could least afford it. We need new life on the coaching side of the defense - LeBeau's schemes are not working with this personnel. So many times last night Woodley was almost there, but that doesn't count. I don't think this D is fooling anyone and it doesn't seem like LeBeau can adapt. Something has been missing for a few years now - it's not an aberration. These guys don't scare anyone any longer and if you can't force TOs, you're not going to win a lot of games.

The "comeback" was nice last night, but it was too big of a hole. You spend so much energy clawing back that things like the pass to Marshall happen. Sad to see, but if there's any doubt that our O and D need new coaches after these three games, then I'm not sure what it would take to get people to recognize it.

Legend

User Info Menu

The pass to Marshall was a killer.. but it was a great play. Those happen. I think the bigger problem is the "almost sacks" and the big running play we gave up to Forte.

This O though... sorry, but this O isn't helping the D at all this year.

Backup

User Info Menu

The Steelers need to clean house and fire the entire coaching staff on BOTH sides of the ball. What Keith Butler may have been promised is no longer important. This team needs a philosophical change, and I doubt there's anyone on this current staff capable of making it happen.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The pass to Marshall was a killer.. but it was a great play. Those happen. I think the bigger problem is the "almost sacks" and the big running play we gave up to Forte.

This O though... sorry, but this O isn't helping the D at all this year.
    The O is 60% of the problem. They aren't holding up their end and it all starts with a Offensive Line that we ignored in the last draft going with the "hope and a prayer" approach that everything would just happen for our current group. Maybe it will by seasons end but I'm not seeeing it. They showed a graphic last night that our OL has the fewest number of combined starts than any OL in the entire NFL...and we wonder why we are struggling?

The defense is a problem too, they just look OK compared to the offense. However, the thing I have railed against for the past three years is smacking us in the face...the inability to sack the QB and create turnovers. It's not surpring however that the stability we bought ourselves over the past decade is now biting us as we are losing people and don't have bodies ready to step in and perform at the level required.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Defense didnt lose this game for us. Defense is the only thing preventing us from getting beat 45 to 10 weekly at this point.

Granted we dont create turnovers. Granted this isnt one of our best units. But they are keeping us in games we have no business being in based on how bad the offense is playing.

What defense is going to overcome that many turnovers? Name me one.
    Last edited by 7 UP; 09-23-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Starter

User Info Menu

Tough for a defense to tee off and flat out blitz the QB when you're playing from behind the whole time. Offenses with a lead have a MASSIVE advantage.

Legend

User Info Menu

People used to trot out the stats about the D's ranking. Well, now they are the 25th-ranked run D in the NFL. Terrible. The O is an embarrassment but this D is below average. After the Steelers got within 3 points, the defense decided it was time to let Cutler look like Montana. Forget turnovers (a Steelers D turnover is as mythical as The Loch Ness Monster), how about a stop at a critical time in the game?