Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Offense may dominate the early picks in the draft for the Steelers

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    What if McLendon gets signed away? Or a future SS/FS? ILB? Both Keisel & Hood are UFA's next season...
    If McLendon gets signed away I think they draft a NT in 2nd if Williams or Jenkins are available. I would love for them to draft a SS and FS in this draft but unless there is a run on the Safety position in the 1st I don't see them drafting one until the 2nd. I think a mid round guy like Kruger or Gholston should be drafted this year because of Hood and Keisel being in their last year. I think they have to go FA for the ILB position the draft isnt that strong for them IMO. There are a good number of guys that should be fairly cheap. Larry Grant and Erin Henderson come to mind. I think they draft a LB no matter what. I would love to see a position flexible guy like Chase Thomas drafted.

However I do think it is a MUST to try to keep K. Lewis.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    If McLendon gets signed away I think they draft a NT in 2nd if Williams or Jenkins are available. I would love for them to draft a SS and FS in this draft but unless there is a run on the Safety position in the 1st I don't see them drafting one until the 2nd. I think a mid round guy like Kruger or Gholston should be drafted this year because of Hood and Keisel being in their last year. I think they have to go FA for the ILB position the draft isnt that strong for them IMO. There are a good number of guys that should be fairly cheap. Larry Grant and Erin Henderson come to mind. I think they draft a LB no matter what. I would love to see a position flexible guy like Chase Thomas drafted.

If the Steelers are bringing back Larry Foote, could Brian Rolle be the #1 back-up ILB? Giving Spence a year to come back from that injury?

Gholston is an interesting pick as a 3-4 DE- not against that one at all.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    If the Steelers are bringing back Larry Foote, could Brian Rolle be the #1 back-up ILB? Giving Spence a year to come back from that injury?

Gholston is an interesting pick as a 3-4 DE- not against that one at all.
    They could bring back Foote. Personally if I was a GM I wouldn't count on Spence being back unless he could prove otherwise. The peroneal nerve damage scares me, the rehab and potential for drop foot are worrisome.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We need playmakers...period. We need defensive players who get sacks, interceptions, force fumbles. We need offensive players who can score touchdowns. It sounds overly simplified, but we don't have enough of these players on our team (especially with Harrison and Wallace gone).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    We need playmakers...period. We need defensive players who get sacks, interceptions, force fumbles. We need offensive players who can score touchdowns. It sounds overly simplified, but we don't have enough of these players on our team (especially with Harrison and Wallace gone).
    Your right we need playmakers on both sides of the ball, but what good is drafting a defensive impact player who has to ride the bench or just play special teams? If the reasoning is we'll be better off for the future I get that but sorry we need some players who can start or contribute right now.

Which position could a draft pick contribute immediately? I can think of two and they are on offense, TE AND RB. Now I wouldn't draft a RB in round one but TE I would if that TE is BPA on the board and give us help this year. Otherwise get that stud defensive player like OLB or NT, DE. We have to address the Safety position to replace either Clark or Troy, but do we spend a first round pick on a safety if Lewis leaves? With the age of Ike it might be better to get a top CB and look for a safety later in the draft.

I guess it come down to what happens before the draft, who we sign and who we go after if any in FA's. At this point with needs at multiple positions BPA might be the best option but I would hate to pass up a player who can help contribute day one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post

Wouldn't it be nice to not to have to worry about finding a "nose Tackle" every year and just being able to draft a defensive Tackle which gives you a much larger talent pool to pick from? Time for change!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

New Kiper Mock has the Steelers taking Tyler Eifert

By big_jay71 on Mar 11 2013

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper released a new mock draft today and has the Steelers selecting Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert with the 17th pick in the 2013 draft.

The father of modern NFL draft analysis Mel Kiper jr. has thrown a monkey wrench so to speak into the draft speculation of Steelers fans everywhere by proclaiming that the Steelers will select Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.

Here's what Kiper had to say about the pick:

"Mike Wallace might be exiting, but in Eifert the Steelers add a different kind of matchup headache for defenses. Eifert has the speed to stretch the seam and also develop routes to the edges, and can't be effectively covered by anybody. He's too tall for corners and safeties, too fast for linebackers."

It's quite an interesting scenario to say the least and one that Steelers fans should consider instead of balking at. In his mock draft all of the usual suspects are gone. Ezekiel Ansah to the Lions, Dion Jordan to the Browns, Jarvis Jones to the Bills, Mingo to the Jets, and Cooper to the Titans. The only player out of the handful that have been linked to the Steelers that would be available is Alabama guard Chance Warmack.

So from the Kiper analysis the question begs, could the Steelers use a Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski type to create nightmare matchups across the middle of the field? Also, do they need another tight end with Heath Miller on the roster?

Heath Miller is 30 years old and coming off of a brutal knee injury suffered at the end of the season, tearing his ACL, MCL, and PCL ligaments. Even if his rehab goes according to plan he won't be able to work out on that knee until July at the earliest and it's likely that he would miss the first month or so of the season if not more. In the short term David Paulson would be his replacement but he is a serious step down in talent. In the long term Tyler Eifert would be an excellent replacement for Miller.

Tyler Eifert was clearly the best tight end on the field at the combine. He measured in at 6-feet-6 and 250 pounds, and managed to run at 4.68 forty yard dash. He is a complete player and will be the first tight end taken and a first round pick in the 2013 draft. The question is that if the available pass-rushers are all gone as well as Jonathan Cooper and Kenny Vaccarro should the Steelers take Tyler Eifert over the available wide receivers? He does come with less questions than Cordarelle Patterson (raw player), Keenan Allen (injury and drop in production), and Tavon Austin (lack of size).

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/11/4090148/new-kiper-mock-has-the-steelers-taking-tyler-eifert[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would love this ^^^^

I've been advocating for another TE for a while now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    New Kiper Mock has the Steelers taking Tyler Eifert

By big_jay71 on Mar 11 2013

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper released a new mock draft today and has the Steelers selecting Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert with the 17th pick in the 2013 draft.

The father of modern NFL draft analysis Mel Kiper jr. has thrown a monkey wrench so to speak into the draft speculation of Steelers fans everywhere by proclaiming that the Steelers will select Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.

Here's what Kiper had to say about the pick:

"Mike Wallace might be exiting, but in Eifert the Steelers add a different kind of matchup headache for defenses. Eifert has the speed to stretch the seam and also develop routes to the edges, and can't be effectively covered by anybody. He's too tall for corners and safeties, too fast for linebackers."

It's quite an interesting scenario to say the least and one that Steelers fans should consider instead of balking at. In his mock draft all of the usual suspects are gone. Ezekiel Ansah to the Lions, Dion Jordan to the Browns, Jarvis Jones to the Bills, Mingo to the Jets, and Cooper to the Titans. The only player out of the handful that have been linked to the Steelers that would be available is Alabama guard Chance Warmack.

So from the Kiper analysis the question begs, could the Steelers use a Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski type to create nightmare matchups across the middle of the field? Also, do they need another tight end with Heath Miller on the roster?

Heath Miller is 30 years old and coming off of a brutal knee injury suffered at the end of the season, tearing his ACL, MCL, and PCL ligaments. Even if his rehab goes according to plan he won't be able to work out on that knee until July at the earliest and it's likely that he would miss the first month or so of the season if not more. In the short term David Paulson would be his replacement but he is a serious step down in talent. In the long term Tyler Eifert would be an excellent replacement for Miller.

Tyler Eifert was clearly the best tight end on the field at the combine. He measured in at 6-feet-6 and 250 pounds, and managed to run at 4.68 forty yard dash. He is a complete player and will be the first tight end taken and a first round pick in the 2013 draft. The question is that if the available pass-rushers are all gone as well as Jonathan Cooper and Kenny Vaccarro should the Steelers take Tyler Eifert over the available wide receivers? He does come with less questions than Cordarelle Patterson (raw player), Keenan Allen (injury and drop in production), and Tavon Austin (lack of size).

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/11/4090148/new-kiper-mock-has-the-steelers-taking-tyler-eifert[/URL]
    I would take Eifert before ANY receiver out there, maybe Kiper has it right this time, I cetainly hope so as I would love for him to be there at
    17. I thought Warmack would be there and I like him as a dominating guard, but I still take the TE thats how much I like this kid.

Legend

User Info Menu

There is only one spot on the O where there is immediate need and that is TE. We have more future holes on D, more spots with subpar, average, aging players. I agree with Chadman, we need a run at youth on D.
    Trolls are people too.