Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I was wrong

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was wrong

It turns out Pgh wasn't going overboard with lifting heavy free weights in the season - they are doing the exact opposite, and THAT is likely leading to all the injuries. It turns out that Pgh mostly uses machines for weight training, and THAT is the problem. Machines don't allow for the huge benefit of muscles stabilizing the chain and core, which is a huge benefit of free weights. That would explain why SF was so low in injuries, because they do lots of free weight work.

Reality is, Pgh has only two power racks in their entire gym. Sources say they use more machines than any other team and free weights are virtually non-existent. My source says every single NFL team uses more free weight training than do the Steelers.

So, I was right in that something in their training was likely to be adding to injuries, but it was the exact opposite of what I thought. It appears Pgh is pretty lax in what they require players to do in the weight room, and they are under the false belief that cutting out most all of free weights is safer. They are not benefiting from the stabilizing effect of free weight training, as all other clubs are.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

this should be good.

internet sources are the best!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    It turns out Pgh wasn't going overboard with lifting heavy free weights in the season - they are doing the exact opposite, and THAT is likely leading to all the injuries. It turns out that Pgh mostly uses machines for weight training, and THAT is the problem. Machines don't allow for the huge benefit of muscles stabilizing the chain and core, which is a huge benefit of free weights. That would explain why SF was so low in injuries, because they do lots of free weight work.

Reality is, Pgh has only two power racks in their entire gym. Sources say they use more machines than any other team and free weights are virtually non-existent. My source says every single NFL team uses more free weight training than do the Steelers.

So, I was right in that something in their training was likely to be adding to injuries, but it was the exact opposite of what I thought. It appears Pgh is pretty lax in what they require players to do in the weight room, and they are under the false belief that cutting out most all of free weights is safer. They are not benefiting from the stabilizing effect of free weight training, as all other clubs are.
    You do realize that most of the training the players do to get ready for the season IS NOT at the Steelers facility. The vast majority of the players do that on their own with private trainers at their off season home locations. The work they do at the facility is usually in season exercises where they are just working to maintain.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

how does lifting free weights help in avoiding you ankle getting rolled up on?

which of the injuries the players suffered could have been avoided by lifting better in your opinion

spence? decastro?? ben? woodley? troy? harrison?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    how does lifting free weights help in avoiding you ankle getting rolled up on?

which of the injuries the players suffered could have been avoided by lifting better in your opinion

spence? decastro?? ben? woodley? troy? harrison?
    Gotta train to keep your distance from Gilby.

Starter

User Info Menu

So that’s why Woodley was plump as a chump, injury prone and basically useless last year. His exercise regimen consisted solely of slaving away on an old-school circa 1973 Universal Gym machine…

Legend

User Info Menu

lloydroid says, "I was wrong".............

and that is what everyone has been trying to tell ya bro. carry on
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I see quite a few free weights in the background.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post

I see quite a few free weights in the background.
    Those weights to the right look like they are on Hammer Strength equipment. It's like a hybrid between free weights and machine equipment. There are no cables and you use free weights. However, hammer strength equipment helps with form and stabilization compared to true free weights. I like hammer strength equipment a lot of it does assist you with stabilization compared to free weights/dumbells/barbells.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is total BS. Next time you are in Latrobe at training camp, walk up to the entrance where the team comes out on the field every day. The fitness center/ weightlifting room is right there in the front. You can see for yourself that they USE free weights.... Granted, its at training camp, but I'm sure it carries on to the southside as well....

Strike 1 and you're out.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion