Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wally is our new BA

Legend

User Info Menu

Wally seems to be taking a similar path to Chad Johnson. When Chad came into the league, he looked like he had a chance to be the best WR ever. I've heard Chad admit that he started making more money off the football field and lost focus on football. I'm not sure why Wally's losing focus, but he came on strong initially and looked like he had the promise to be one of the great ones.

Wally never had the length of success that Chad had. He also never has made any significant money on or off the field. But he has lost the focus and the passion for the game just like Chad did. Not sure what Wally's reason is. But he seems to have followed the Chad path at an accelerated rate.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Same way they did when Plax left, Washington, left, Holmes left.....
    Yep, they will have to find another WR. Eventually, that WR going to be a diva or command more money and the cycle begins again.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 12-19-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Wallace would be a starter for the Packers and most teams around the league. Most teams don't have a WR that has the football speed that Wallace possesses. Whether fans want to admit it or not, Wallace is a difference maker with or without the football. He is a big play threat. Wallace isn't irreplaceable but the Steeler's offense will miss Wallace's big play ability if they can't resign him. The question is how will they replace Wallace's play ability and production?
    I'm not so sure he would start for the Packers.

We both agree that he has the football speed that most teams don't possess.

I just can't objectively say that Mike Wallace is a better overall WR than Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings. Faster? Yes. Better hands? No. Better route running? No. Better at short/intermediate routes? No.

Are you saying that you would start a faster player with average at best overall WR skills over a better overall WR with less speed? It's an interesting question.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just going to point out that, as we have all realised, the Steelers are noy going deep this season.

As a result, Wallace is no longer 'taking the top off the defence' as the field is compressed due to the Steelers dink & dunk offence.

Now, without Wallace 'taking the top off the defence'..... how have our other WR's performed this season compared to when Wallace was being used down field?

Nobody wants to say it- but Brown has laid an egg after getting his contract. He's being outperformed by the no-effort, crap #2 WR we all want paid $2 & a bag of fish & chips for his weekly efforts.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Just going to point out that, as we have all realised, the Steelers are noy going deep this season.

As a result, Wallace is no longer 'taking the top off the defence' as the field is compressed due to the Steelers dink & dunk offence.

Now, without Wallace 'taking the top off the defence'..... how have our other WR's performed this season compared to when Wallace was being used down field?

Nobody wants to say it- but Brown has laid an egg after getting his contract. He's being outperformed by the no-effort, crap #2 WR we all want paid $2 & a bag of fish & chips for his weekly efforts.
    Brown has had a couple of bad games after coming off an injury...

A perfectly healthy Mike Wallace has been less than impressive...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

I just can't objectively say that Mike Wallace is a better overall WR than Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings. Faster? Yes. Better hands? No. Better route running? No. Better at short/intermediate routes? No.

Are you saying that you would start a faster player with average at best overall WR skills over a better overall WR with less speed? It's an interesting question.
    A lot of WR's have skills, including Wallace. Most WR's don't possess Wallace's blazing speed. For some reason, people are reluctant to give Wallace credit for his overall skills, hands, and ability to run short and intermediate routes. I've witness Wallace make plays running short, intermediate, and deep pass plays. It seems people want to penalize Wallace because his bread and butter is the ability to get open deep. Wallace's hands were among the best WR's in the league up until this season. He's gotten better at running routes. Like most WR's, Wallace sets up routes because of his speed. If Wallace played with a QB like Rodgers his production would probably be even better.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Brown has had a couple of bad games after coming off an injury...

A perfectly healthy Mike Wallace has been less than impressive...
    And yet, a 'less than impressive' Wallace has outperformed our #1 WR.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Dwyer or Mendenhall is OUR #1 RB...does that mean we should have to come remotely close to paying them as much as a #1 RB league wide?

I understand the frustration and constant comparison to Brown. Brown isn't a #1. But I do think Brown can be a Holmes type WR with some work...better route running, ball control....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

You could argue similarly about other teams too. Could Wally start for Dallas, SD, NO, Atlanta, Seattle, etc?

I think Tomlin should send a message and start Cotchery and Plax.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    And yet, a 'less than impressive' Wallace has outperformed our #1 WR.
    Wallace is our #1 WR...you just can't tell because he hasn't played like one...