Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rainey was a steal in the 5th round!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    i'm assuming you mean lately.

we've been a consistent threat to win it all since we drafted ben.

how many late rounders do you expect to make a stacked team?
    I provided the entire list; you can look for yourself that we rarely hit on any picks after the 3rd round, and that includes BEFORE drafting Ben.

[url]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm[/url]

Facts can be a troubling thing to get past.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I provided the entire list; you can look for yourself that we rarely hit on any picks after the 3rd round, and that includes BEFORE drafting Ben.

[URL]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm[/URL]

Facts can be a troubling thing to get past.
    Read:

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Their record looks pretty solid to me...

Larry Foote, Brett Keisel, Ike Taylor, Willie Colon, Ryan Mundy and Antonio Brown will all be starting Game 1 this year...that's a pretty good late round representation...

Not to mention undrafted players James Harrison and Isaac Redman...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    lets not forget Ramon Foster.
    Take a look at some of the other NFL teams and you will find a success rate after the 3rd round pretty similar to the Steelers...that's just life in the NFL...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Larry Foote - below average LB
    Brett Keisel - nice one
    Ike Taylor - definitely good find.
    Willie Colon - been hurt for like 3 years and is below average
    Ryan Mundy - Hasn't even cracked starting line up, hasn't shown much
    Antonio Brown - super find.

And then have the rest of the story.

Toney Clemons,David Paulson, Terrence Frederick, Kelvin Beachum After Rainey, likely NONE of these later players make the team.

Curtis Brown - Has been terrible. Will be cut.
    Cortez Allen - Still has hope, we will see
    Chris Carter - We will see
    Keith Williams - Who?
    Baron Batch - Has shown nothing so far

Jason Worilds - bust so far
    Emmanuel Sanders - Still waiting to see if he can ever produce and stay healthy. So far, not really.
    Thaddeus Gibson - BUST
    Chris Scott - garbage
    Crezdon Butler - crap
    Stevenson Sylvester - showed promise and then what happened?
    Jonathan Dwyer - still could hit
    Antonio Brown - great late pick, no question
    Doug Worthington - who?

Kraig Urbik - Bust
    Mike Wallace - super pick
    Keenan Lewis - possible hit, we will see in a short while
    Joe Burnett - bum
    Frank Summers - wasted pick
    RaShon Harris - bum
    A.Q. Shipley - nothing
    David Johnson - so so. Never liked how they used him

Limas Sweed - complete bust
    Bruce Davis - horrible pick in every way
    Tony Hills - waste
    Dennis Dixon - out of football?
    Mike Humpal - stinks
    Ryan Mundy - Never sees field

Matt Spaeth - bad pick
    Daniel Sepulveda - never produced, taken way too high
    Ryan McBean - not
    Cameron Stephenson - waste
    William Gay - not bad value, as it turns out
    Dallas Baker - waste of time

Anthony Smith - bust
    Willie Reid - bust
    Willie Colon - This should be his year if he can finally stay healthy
    Orien Harris - bust
    Omar Jacobs - bust
    Charles Davis - not
    Marvin Philip - nope
    Cedric Humes - bust

It goes on and on like this. Pgh is NOT any better than other teams with later draft picks and they have even failed on tons of 2nd and 3rd rounders as well. Over all, they get it done, but don't tell me they excel on later day picks, because they really don't.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pathetic analysis. Every team's list would look very similar. The way you judge a team's ability to draft is by their championship history. The Steelers rarely sign bigtime Free Agents and yet they have the second most superbowls in the last decade. I think that speaks for itself.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Larry Foote is a "below average LB" with 2 SB rings...

Who was Mundy going to beat out? Pro Bowler Ryan Clark or DPOY Troy Polamalu?

Worilds isn't a bust...who was he going to beat out? Pro Bowler LaMarr Woodley or DPOY James Harrison? When he's played, he's performed well...

Curtis Brown won't be cut...

Daniel Sepulveda did produce...he just got hurt...a lot...

I understand taking a "Devil's Advocate" position, but at least offer some support for your opinion instead of blanket generalizations...an unsupported sweeping statement generally gets disregarded very quickly...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Pathetic analysis. Every team's list would look very similar. The way you judge a team's ability to draft is by their championship history. The Steelers rarely sign bigtime Free Agents and yet they have the second most superbowls in the last decade. I think that speaks for itself.
    I can understand cautious optimism, but the analysis here is maddeningly bad.

Legend

User Info Menu

$$

also, they say belichek is a master at drafting yet look at their recent drafts.

tate over wallace

ben troupe and marouney 1st rounders and those are just 2 off the top of my head

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Let's not get drunk here. I was addressing the chap who claimed Pgh was better at late drafting than other teams. In reality, that's just not true, and I illustrated the specifics. I never said they "stink at drafting" but just the claim that they were superior late drafters as inaccurate. They don't find any more sleeper picks than most teams, as the evidence clearly demonstrates. They _ARE_ more likely to hit big on the first rounders, than are teams on average, but that was never the assertion. And I have to just laugh: Just because Foot won two super bowl rings it means he is an above average LB? How does that logic work again?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And

Shallow, frankly disrespectful words attached to many of the players. Look deeper; there are many variables and explanations why some make it and some do not, injuries, coaching, personal problems, immaturity, etc. If all these guys "made it", our roster would have to be about 175 players. It's the intense competition to "make it" in the league that makes NFL football such high quality.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

interesting that the OP never chimed back in with his 5th post.

its almost like someone is arguing with themselves.