Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Could swithcing to a 4-3 really fix this much?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bowldog View Post
    We had #1 D in yards and #5 in scoring D. Defense overall was not the problem. Offensive inconsistency is the problem.CHALLENGE - we had 8 losses this season Can we think of no more than 8 plays/incidents that could have turned 4 of those losses into wins?
    Not blowing 4th quarter leads on defense would be nice.

Not getting shredded by jokes like Carson Palmer and Matt Hasselbeck comes to mind.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blitz71burgh71 View Post
    How could the D rank #1 4 out of the past 6 year's or something like that if every one know's this Defence so well.
    Colt's D ranked 26th Steelers ranked 1
    Colt's O ranked 10 Steelers ranked 21

To blame Dick LeBeau is foolish when it was clearly the o's fault.
    Which is why I'm sure you will fully support that we heavily invest in the offense in the upcoming draft. Typically those that blame the offense are the same ones who will say we need to draft Nose Tackles, Safeties and Inside Linebackers early in the draft.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yep, the scope is out on the Steelers, people looking for another way for them to be better.
    I have no issue with the 3-4, its been good for the Steelers for years and still is.

1. Get Healthy *

2. Good off season conditioning program

3. Replace deadwood

4. Let Omar do his miracle work in contracts *

5. Add some young talent via the draft

6. Convert Casey Hampton to FB.....jk

A healthy and conditioned Lamar Woodley could help our front seven, if we keep JH, and combine that with a dominate NT, this defense will be even better.

4-3 ? Na, Lets fix the inability of our offense to score *points or enough, then maybe we see some daylight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Not blowing 4th quarter leads on defense would be nice.

Not getting shredded by jokes like Carson Palmer and Matt Hasselbeck comes to mind.
    Not getting shredded by these types of QB's & playing 3-4 vs 4-3 have little to do with eachother, though, right?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Who knows. I think the 4th quarter scheme stinks.

So if they switch to a 4-3, maybe they have to switch schemes in the 4th as well.

But I like the 3-4, when we use it, instead playing this passive crap we've been playing for two years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Which is why I'm sure you will fully support that we heavily invest in the offense in the upcoming draft. Typically those that blame the offense are the same ones who will say we need to draft Nose Tackles, Safeties and Inside Linebackers early in the draft.
    In the past few drafts, the Steelers premium picks (top 3 rounds) have skewed towards offense - 6 of 9 have been on offense.

Regardless of the front you want, the Steelers need youth at LB and S. I wouldn't draft a NT in the first round. For starters, Hampton played fewer snaps than the third CB this year.

On the offensive side, if Wallace leaves, the Steelers will need help at WR and they could use an addition to the backfield regardless of what happens with Mendenhall.

Plenty of room to improve on both sides of the ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Not getting shredded by these types of QB's & playing 3-4 vs 4-3 have little to do with eachother, though, right?
    Drafting and signing better CB's/DB's would be a novel approach.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Ok- consider Chadman to be dumb- but why will the 4-3 work better than the 3-4, exactly?
    I give specific details in the original post. Please read.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Yep, the scope is out on the Steelers, people looking for another way for them to be better.
    I have no issue with the 3-4, its been good for the Steelers for years and still is.

1. Get Healthy *

2. Good off season conditioning program

3. Replace deadwood

4. Let Omar do his miracle work in contracts *

5. Add some young talent via the draft

6. Convert Casey Hampton to FB.....jk

A healthy and conditioned Lamar Woodley could help our front seven, if we keep JH, and combine that with a dominate NT, this defense will be even better.

4-3 ? Na, Lets fix the inability of our offense to score *points or enough, then maybe we see some daylight.
    The remaining problem with our system is it takes forever to get defenders up to speed - pretty much every position takes 2 years before players seem to get it, or, at least, the coaches feel that way as young guys don't get to play for 2 years after they are drafted. That sucks. And look at players like Woodley - although once productive, his body breaks down now, every year, from having to try to cover people. It's a waste of time, just let him rush the Gad Damn QB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Who knows. I think the 4th quarter scheme stinks.

So if they switch to a 4-3, maybe they have to switch schemes in the 4th as well.

But I like the 3-4, when we use it, instead playing this passive crap we've been playing for two years.
    It doesn't seem to matter if we play passive or not; when we do send in blitzers they don't get any pressure any how, so what's the difference? Sending more people to rush that do not get any pressure is counter-productive. It just means less people to cover while still not getting any pressure. It's broken.