Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Question: If this season goes seriously sideways, do the Rooney's blow it up?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Think the Seau suicide this offseason has something to do with that?
    Never really thought about it that way....but I suppose that didn't help.
    I just think Troy is a leveled headed man (off the football field, haha) who won't let football ruin his future.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

In 1989 the Steelers lose 51-0 to the BROWNS.
    They came back and went to the 2nd round of the playoffs that year losing by 1 point to Denver.

Hypothetical kneejerks aren't needed today. The Rooney's NEVER kneejerk.
    So no, they won't and this team will be in the playoffs barring a massive injury problem or to Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

no, the Rooneys will always do what is best for the franchise and blowing things up is not their style...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

everyone on that list besides troy might be done after this year anyway

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    They came back and went to the 2nd round of the playoffs that year losing by 1 point to Denver.

So no, they won't and this team will be in the playoffs barring a massive injury problem or to Ben.

Not a knee jerk reaction, just a thoughtful analysis of what could possibly happen. Not bailing on the season at all. It is entirely reasonable to see that this could be the last season for some Steeler greats.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Agree it is not their style, but I could see some big changes forced by health, age, and salary cap.

If Foote plays well, I can see him being brought back for one more. Keisel and Foote likely to stay. For health reasons I could see this being it for Deebo and Polamalu.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post

Not to mention the opener last year in which we turned the ball over 7 times in a 35-7 drubbing to Baltimore (only to win 12 of the remaining 15 games) or the Eagles sacking Ben 8 times (plus Leftwich once more) and our rushing game only managing 32 yards on 19 carries in one of the most offensively inept performances that I have ever seen in early 2008 (only to finish that season with an amazing clutch drive to win Super Bowl XLIII in Tampa). This loss to the Broncos does not come anywhere close to the whoopings we took in each of other instances, but we someone came out of each situation as a successful team as usual. People really need to stop overreacting about one (close) game.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Think the Seau suicide this offseason has something to do with that?
    Seau's suicide shouldn't affect Troy at all, because it was just the opposite of the way Troy lives. Junior was depressed not due to concussions, but due to not being the man in the spot light. He needed the game....not only for his identity, but financially and to keep him in check. He was almost broke, and had drug and alcohol issues, as well as relationship problems. Football was his paycheck, his babysitter, and his get away.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not to mention the opener last year in which we turned the ball over 7 times in a 35-7 drubbing to Baltimore (only to win 12 of the remaining 15 games) or the Eagles sacking Ben 8 times (plus Leftwich once more) and our rushing game only managing 32 yards on 19 carries in one of the most offensively inept performances that I have ever seen in early 2008 (only to finish that season with an amazing clutch drive to win Super Bowl XLIII in Tampa). This loss to the Broncos does not come anywhere close to the whoopings we took in each of other instances, but we someone came out of each situation as a successful team as usual. People really need to stop overreacting about one (close) game.
    There was some good overreacting mojo going on back then. Maybe that helped get us to the promised land.

I think we coulda pulled some playoff magic out last year if Ben were healthier. Actually I was thinking his injury last year was setting up for his most epic playoff performance of all time.

Too bad big Denver WRs might be Ike Taylor's kryptonite. From Javon Walker to D Thomas.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Too bad big Denver WRs might be Ike Taylor's kryptonite. From Javon Walker to D Thomas.
    On Sunday, holding was Ike's kryptonite...