Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Trade Down Scenarios; 1 possibility w/ Atlanta, 4 possibilities w/ San Fran

Legend

User Info Menu

Realistic Trade Down Scenarios; 1 possibility w/ Atlanta, 4 possibilities w/ San Fran

In this particular draft, it seems like everyone wants to move down and seemingly no one wants to sacrifice the picks required to move up. Well, I think Miami and San Diego would like to move up into the top 10 if they could get one of the top 3 OT's, but that really doesn't impact us. Some teams picking in the early 2nd will probably want to trade back into the late first for a QB also, but they likely aren't going to be willing to trade as high as #17, so that really doesn't impact us either.

If we want to move back from 17, it would take two to tango, so we need to find a team in the late first who may be hungry to move up in case someone they really like falls into the mid-first area. Two teams that have suggested that they might be willing to jump up are Atlanta and San Francisco. Both are solid teams looking for quality over quantity...they have 11 and 13 draft picks, respectively, and it is HIGHLY unlikely that 11 or 13 rookies could crack the championship-level rosters of the Falcons and Niners, so they might be willing to give up a few of those picks in order to go get the guy that they truly want.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atlanta might be willing to give up their 1st, 2nd, and 5th to get our 17th overall pick.

1.17 = 950 points

1.30 = 620
    2.60 = 300
    5.163 = 27.2

Total = 947.2 points.

That would give us 10 total picks and Atlanta would have 9 total picks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many more options with San Francisco because of multiple 2nd rounders and multiple 3rd rounders.

Some have said that they would happy give up 17 for 31 and 34, but that is not realistic. In order to make that work out, we'd likely have to give up our 3rd as well.

1.17 = 950
    3.79 = 195

Total = 1146 points

1.31 = 600
    2.34 = 560

Total = 1160 points

We be giving up 14 spots on Thursday in order to gain 45 spots on Friday, without getting any extra picks in the deal (after this trade, we'd still have 8 picks and the Niners would still have 13 picks). This scenario is quite doubtful in my mind.

A more realistic scenario would be giving up our first for the Niners first, second, and fourth (the second-to-last pick in each of those rounds). An extra added bonus there would be we would be picking right before Baltimore in rounds 1, 2, & 4, so we might be able to take a guy we like while taking away a guy they also like right out from under them.

1.17 = 950 points

1.31 = 600
    2.61 = 292
    4.128 = 44

Total = 936 points

That would give us 10 total picks and San Francisco would have 11 total picks.

Alternatively, we could make a very similar deal with the Niners to include their first and both 3rds instead of a 1st, 2nd, and 4th.

1.17 = 950 points

1.31 = 600
    3.74 = 220
    3.93 = 128

Total = 948 points

That would give us 10 total picks and San Francisco would have 11 total picks.

One last option would be getting both of the Niners' 2nd round picks as well as their original 3rd rounder, but we would likely also have to give them our 5th rounder as well. We wouldn't have a first round pick anymore, but in a draft that is considered to be unusually strong in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, we'd have 3 second round picks (one early, one mid, one late) and 2 third round picks (one mid, one late).

1.17 = 950
    5.150 = 31.4

Total = 981.4

2.34 = 560
    2.61 = 292
    3.93 = 128

Total = 980

That would give us 9 total picks and San Francisco would have 12 total picks.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like all the versions where we get three picks back and give up one. We need good bodies and this is a deep draft at many positions.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

As Ruthless said, there are a lot of other teams who are looking to trade down...several of them draft before we do. I don't think Colbert was bluffing when he said he didn't forsee trading down from #17.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    As Ruthless said, there are a lot of other teams who are looking to trade down...several of them draft before we do. I don't think Colbert was bluffing when he said he didn't forsee trading down from #17.
    This is true, but Atlanta has shown the willingness to trade up for a player...if somebody slips, it is conceivable that they would pull the trigger to get a key player...

If Eddie Lacy is there, wouldn't they think about it?

Starter

User Info Menu

One trade scenario that I haven't heard is a small jump back to 18 with Dallas. From what I've heard, they would love to land one of the premier OGs.

Knowing the Steelers might take Warmack or Cooper if they fell, I could see the Steelers getting a call from Dallas.

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

User Info Menu

How bout trading for next year picks? Teams don't have to give up picks in this year's draft. I'd consider moving down to the bottom of round 1 or early 2nd if all we got were extra picks next year to make up the rest of the value. I don't see much talent difference between pick 17 and pick 40 unless you're taking a risk on a guy with big upside and it works.

So extra picks next year would be gravy. You wouldn't lose out that much. And you'd save some money on the rookie contracts and save some cap space.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s View Post
    One trade scenario that I haven't heard is a small jump back to 18 with Dallas. From what I've heard, they would love to land one of the premier OGs.

Knowing the Steelers might take Warmack or Cooper if they fell, I could see the Steelers getting a call from Dallas.
    If Dallas was worried about us taking a guard, they wouldn't try to trade with us (since if we really wanted a guard, we'd just take the guard instead of moving down one spot so they could take him). They would likely try to just ahead of us with the Rams or Panthers instead.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

If one of the guards slips and they can't find an earlier trade partner, why not call and inquire? At that point it might be worth it to them for a 4th rounder.

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    True, but if the Steelers are proactive and let the desire to be known. A team like the niners may want to spend less for the pick and prefer to trade with the Steelers.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    How bout trading for next year picks? Teams don't have to give up picks in this year's draft. I'd consider moving down to the bottom of round 1 or early 2nd if all we got were extra picks next year to make up the rest of the value. I don't see much talent difference between pick 17 and pick 40 unless you're taking a risk on a guy with big upside and it works.

So extra picks next year would be gravy. You wouldn't lose out that much. And you'd save some money on the rookie contracts and save some cap space.
    I'd take Atlanta's 30th overall pick and their 2014 first round pick for #17 in a heartbeat. The first round is supposed to be much better next year than this year. I won't lament losing out on Jarvis Jones this year if we could have 2 first rounders next year to possibly be able to move up for Jadeveon Clowney next year instead.