Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hey, now we at least know what tomlin's super secret

Legend

User Info Menu

hey, now we at least know what tomlin's super secret

2pt conversion play is.
    it took 2 years for him to reveal a fade to your #2 wr who is notorious for not making the critical catch............i understand why he kept that under wraps

Backup

User Info Menu

Dude, you just need to sleep it off. LOL

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess I'd have to question why that 6' 5 receiver they kept on the roster (Moye) wasn't in the game for that play. Those fade routes are low percentage plays with those smaller guys. Another bad play call IMO

Ernie

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I guess I'd have to question why that 6' 5 receiver they kept on the roster (Moye) wasn't in the game for that play. Those fade routes are low percentage plays with those smaller guys. Another bad play call IMO

Ernie

agreed. in tomlins defense, when he came up with this secret play, moye wasnt on the team

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MicroBioSteel View Post
    Dude, you just need to sleep it off. LOL
    Hard to argue the wisdom of his statement; Sanders had two drops already in the game, giving him the game tying play seems like a bad idea.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 11-29-2013 at 08:35 AM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    2pt conversion play is.
    it took 2 years for him to reveal a fade to your #2 wr who is notorious for not making the critical catch............i understand why he kept that under wraps
    Nope, not a good play ... and one that Tomlin should have OVERRULED .... calling it "Tomlin's Super Secret Play" is not correct though since it's a Haley designed play from an offense where Haley is the OC. Nice propaganda piece though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kovacevic: The Steelers' longest 1 1/2 yards

By Dejan Kovacevic
    Published: Friday, Nov. 29, 2013

BALTIMORE — The Steelers had come so far, if you think about it. And I don't just mean the literal and figurative mileage from the flops in London and Oakland or even the hard math of the 0-4 start that, by every reasonable reckoning, should have ruined them right away.

I mean, they had come so far to fall so hard, so close.

You stayed up and saw the final score: Ravens 22, Steelers 20.

You saw how it ended, too, with Emmanuel Sanders dropping yet another ball on a two-point try that would have tied the score with a minute left.

It was awful.

It was deflating.

It was, as a stone-faced Sanders would say when surrounded by cameras and microphones at his stall, “Really tough to take right now.”

It might even have been devastating for a team that could have uncannily overcome that start and climbed to .500 but instead fell to 5-7 and right back out of the AFC playoff picture.

And yet here's what's worse, if you ask me: All that transpired in that final minute and a half, all it took to cover that final yard and a half for the touchdown that set up the two-point try, all that went into the incompletion itself … was so sadly avoidable.

Let's rewind a bit: On that same final drive, Ben Roethlisberger fired a 20-yard bullet to Heath Miller for an apparent touchdown. But a video review showed Miller's knee touching before the ball crossed the plane.

“The ball will be spotted at the 1 1/2-yard line,” referee Clete Blakeman told the crowd of 71,005 at M&T Bank Stadium.

Todd Haley sent in the next play. And this is where stuff started getting sticky, whether through lousy luck or not.

Roethlisberger didn't like the call.

Sometimes we just have to guess at that sort of thing. Not this time. Roethlisberger said so in no uncertain terms when asked why he had gone to the sideline and had a brief conversation with Haley.

“I went over there to get us out of the play he was going to call,” Roethlisberger said. “I knew what play was coming because we had talked on the sideline, so I just wanted to get over there and voice my opinion. I thought we had a better play down there than the one that we were going to do.”

Roethlisberger wanted to run, so he called a handoff to Le'Veon Bell, who sprinted off left tackle and dived into the end zone. But before the ball crossed, Bell's helmet was knocked off by a headfirst hit from Courtney Upshaw. Bell and another Baltimore player, Lardarius Webb, were shaken up, and Bell had to leave with what Mike Tomlin would later describe as a concussion.

Still, the play itself worked. Well, at least until an arcane — and ridiculous — rule was invoked that a play is ruled dead at the point of the ballcarrier's helmet coming off.

The ball was back at the 1 1/2-yard line.

The third time would be the charm when Roethlisberger found Jerricho Cotchery all alone just to the right edge of the line with 1:06 remaining.

All they needed now was the two-point try to tie.

One problem: That was the two-point play.

Whether it was the infamous two-point play Tomlin laughably explained a couple years ago that he'd been saving in his “hip pocket,” we might never know. But it was the two-point play that was supposed to be used on this occasion, until it was needed for a touchdown.

So what to call for a two-point play now?

“Same exact play,” was how Roethlisberger described what came next.

It really was. The same receivers went to the same spots, same cadence, same everything … except the result.

Sanders dropped it. It clanged off his hands and fell to the turf, no fewer than the fourth time that occurred in the game.

“I didn't make the play necessary for my team to win, and I take complete fault for it,” Sanders said. “It's my fault we lost.”

Well, maybe yes and maybe no. Roethlisberger's thinking was this: Antonio Brown would be double-covered. Cotchery would be covered because he had just scored and he has seven other touchdowns this season.

So Roethlisberger decided immediately — “The way that play's drawn up doesn't give you any time to look left or right,” he said. “You have to get rid of the ball” — and chose Sanders, partly because of single coverage, partly because a reserve corner, Chykie Brown, had just stepped into the game for Webb.

“I knew they'd come after me,” Brown would say.

Roethlisberger's pass wasn't great, and, indeed, he had more than his share of misfires on this night. Moreover, Sanders admitted he didn't see it until late because Brown was in his face.

But the play still needed to be made.

Or it needed to be a better play.

Or there has to be another option that comes in from the sideline when Plan B had just become Plan A.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to turn this into another Haley bashing, and I'm not going to pretend that there weren't other factors in this loss, not least of which was the defensive secondary again crumbling when it counted most. There was fault to go around.

But this offense still clearly lacks imagination, diversity and, yeah, let's bring it up for the millionth time, a healthy vibe between quarterback and offensive coordinator.

Roethlisberger didn't make those last two calls. Haley did. Cotchery pointed out, too, that they used the same play last week in Cleveland to score on short yardage.

Is that a playbook or a one-page manual?

There isn't more?

Or could the coordinator have worried that the quarterback would come running over to the sideline again if he didn't like hearing a different signal?

What's going on isn't good enough, and if you need more evidence, then listen to Roethlisberger when asked why the Steelers didn't produce much until going to the no-huddle in the fourth quarter.

“I don't know,” he said. “Maybe with the no-huddle, going up-tempo, working with coach Haley during timeouts … I thought we did well tonight, but we were a little too late.”

The Steelers called five plays out of the no-huddle in the first half.

After averaging 31 points in their previous four games, largely because of the no-huddle, they called five plays from it in the first half.

What did the quarterback think of that?

“At times, it's hard to do a lot of the things we want to do. But we did it late, and maybe we should have done it earlier. And maybe I should have voiced that a little more. I'll take that on myself, as well.”

Feels like the ball is right back on that 1 1/2-yard line again, huh?

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2m0oHJKPj[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I wish someone in the Steeler organization would realize that Ben Roethlisberger should be able to run the offense in-game the same way Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc are allowed to do. On the other hand, in that situation, regardless of Haley's play call, Ben should have gone to something he believes is a better play selection and then ask for forgiveness after the play. (The old, I'd rather ask for forgiveness, than permission).

It's stunningly unbelievable to me that the Steeler organization will not recognize how good Ben is at playing quarterback in this league and continue to want to have all the plays called by an OC.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

I hate the fade pass in general. To me its such a low percentage play. First off you eliminate 7/8s of the endzone. Second off the pass has to be absolutely perfect for success. Third off a fade is more often than not, a difficult over the shoulder, barely get your feet in catch. I have no problem running a fade on 1st or second down where you are going to get another play. I do not agree with running a fade in a game winning two point conversion setting. Like I said its too low percentage for a do or die situation.

Also somewhere in Todd Haleys head he sees this..............Cotchery=End Around Reverse.............Sanders=Fade.................. ..Can someone please explain to Todd that the opposite would work much better.

To those who questioned why Moye wasnt in the game, there isnt a coach on this Earth that would put their journeyman 5th WR in a game winning catch situation. What you aught to question is why Cotchery wasnt used that situation. He has better hands and is a bigger target.

I agree with everything Papillion said above me. The screen and draw offense that Haley runs in the first half of games does not work. Once Ben is allowed the opportunity to settle in and take control of the offense we look dynamic. Had we managed the 1st half the way we managed the 2nd half we win this game IMHO.

Legend

User Info Menu

And everyone on the board knows that Sanders was Ben's first read right?

Everyone knows for sure that Sanders wasn't Ben's 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th read in his progression.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"