Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: James Harrison might be released by Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    What unearned money? Because he wasn't the defensive player of the year? I think the steelers wouldn't mind paying him, they just can't afford it. There were a lot of underperforming players with a lot less heart than Harrison. If they all played with half of his intensitye steelers wouldn't have been on the outside looking in.

Pappy
    His signing bonus Pap. The money he got up front.... He had two years left.

Gonna miss him. Hope he hangs them up.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    "Harrison" is walking TOWARDS the "camera" in that picture but his name and number are on his chest. Pretty rough photoshop from whomever did it.

Legend

User Info Menu

What a shame. Now we're down to 2 star players in Ben and Troy.

If I was James, I'd try to go to Baltimore, Cincy, or Cleveland and get 10+ sacks against Ben each year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

If I was James, I'd try to go to Baltimore, Cincy, or Cleveland and get 10+ sacks against Ben each year.
    Why? I agree that it's a shame BUT it's not like the Steelers didn't try and keep him around. I sincerely doubt he's harboring any kind of ill will. He had a great run with the Steelers and I agree with others that I hope he hangs them up. Although I doubt he does. Who knows maybe he'll test the market, not get the interest he wants and still sign with the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Who knows maybe he'll test the market, not get the interest he wants and still sign with the Steelers.

thats what im hoping too. unrealistic most likely, but i hope the FO gave him a number and if he cant beat it elsewhere, comes back to the black and gold

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

Is Troy really still a "star?"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    thats what im hoping too. unrealistic most likely, but i hope the FO gave him a number and if he cant beat it elsewhere, comes back to the black and gold
    i hope they take the 30% reduction with incentives to earn it all off the table if he cant find it better elsewhere.
    F him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Is Troy really still a "star?"
    Of course. And we seem to win SuperBowls every season he stays completely healthy. Let's hope he can remain healthy these next couple of years.

Legend

User Info Menu

2013 NFL free agents: Where will James Harrison land?

By Adam Stites on Mar 9 2013

While he's turning 35 in May and saw a drop in production in 2012, there are teams that can benefit from the addition of James Harrison.

After 10 seasons with the team, the Pittsburgh Steelers cut ties with outside linebacker James Harrison in a salary cap move to avoid paying him $6.57 million for the 2013 season. The move came one day after the two sides reportedly met in an attempt to re-work his contract so that he could finish his career with the Steelers; however, no deal was made.

Harrison, 34, was elected to five consecutive Pro Bowls between 2007 and 2011, and was named the 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year, accumulating 54 sacks during the five-year span. However, he fell off that double-digit average in 2012, finishing the year with only six sacks.

That drop in pass-rushing ability, combined with his age, makes Harrison a risky free agent to go after. However, Khaled Elsayed of Pro Football Focus says that his run-stopping ability is still up to par:

In essence, the worst case scenario with Harrison is you've still got a player who can operate relatively productively on early downs. The upside being that his 2012 was an aberration and not the start of a trend.

That is why a lot of teams, perhaps focused on names like Paul Kruger and Cliff Avril, might be wiser to look at a cheaper and more proven pro like Harrison

It's unlikely that Harrison gets more than a year or two on a new contract with a team, but prototypical 3-4 outside linebackers that can make an instant impact in the starting lineup aren't easy to find. Several teams have a need at the position, particularly those that have made recent switches to the 3-4 defense.

The Cleveland Browns are one team that is expected to switch to that scheme in 2013. While the team is in prime position to take a pass rusher like Dion Jordan or Barkevious Mingo with the sixth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, it can ease that transition for a rookie with a player like Harrison.

Another team making the switch to a 3-4 is the New Orleans Saints, which has holes all over its defense. While the Saints don't have the cap space to go after a top pass-rushing free agent like Cliff Avril or Paul Kruger, they could afford to bring Harrison as a stop-gap in the starting defense.

[URL]http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/9/4084066/james-harrison-steelers-2013-nfl-free-agents-linebackers/in/3847997[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha