Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers CB Ike Taylor says Santonio Holmes and James Harrison would like to return

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers CB Ike Taylor says Santonio Holmes and James Harrison would like to return

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor is big into making declarations lately.

He said the Steelers would draft a cornerback in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft. Then he said the Steelers would take Clemson wide receiver Martavis Bryant in the second round of the same draft.

He missed on the first one, and outside the second round thing, he was right about the Steelers taking Bryant (they selected him in the fourth). Now, apparently speaking on behalf of ex Steelers Santonio Holmes and James Harrison, he said, on TribLive Radio, the heroes of Super Bowl XLIII would like to return.

Holmes was traded from the Steelers to the Jets in 2010, amid an announcement he would miss the first four games of that season due to a failed drug test. Harrison refused a paycut to stay in Pittsburgh in 2013, was released and signed with the Bengals. The Bengals cut him this offseason.

Holmes, the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, likely smoked his way out of town, never to return as a member of the Steelers' roster. The Steelers signed free agents Lance Moore and Darrius Heyward-Bey this offseason and, along with drafting Bryant and carrying young receivers from 2013, the Steelers appear content to stick with what they have heading into Phase Two of the offseason program.

Harrison may create a little bit different of a scenario, though. While the Steelers said they will have sixth-round pick Jordan Zumwalt practice as an outside linebacker early in his career, the amount of pure outside linebackers on the Steelers sits at three - Jarvis Jones, Jason Worilds and Chris Carter. It wouldn't be impossible to envision a scenario in which Harrison was brought into camp with no assurance of a roster spot.

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/latest-news/2014/5/20/5734892/steelers-free-agency-james-harrison-santonio-holmes[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Harrison and Santonio Want to Return

According to Ike Taylor:

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/latest-news/2014/5/20/5734892/steelers-free-agency-james-harrison-santonio-holmes[/url]

I'd take Harrison back in a heartbeat. I would let him compete with Jarvis Jones, but put a thumb on the scale for Jones. I think Harrison could help by taking a few snaps on running downs, and he could be used in tandem with Jones much the way Foote and Timmons were used initially. He'd also provide a bit of nasty.

For those opposed to a return of Harrison, if Jones or Worilds gets hurt, who would you rather see at OLB - Harrison or Chris Carter?

Legend

User Info Menu

Giving the young linebackers the opportunity to soak up some of the nasty attitude from coach Joey Porter while also being pushed by veteran backup James Harrison can only be a good thing.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Giving the young linebackers the opportunity to soak up some of the nasty attitude from coach Joey Porter while also being pushed by veteran backup James Harrison can only be a good thing.
    If we bring back Harrison, JJ's gonna get pushed harder than Jonathan Martin in Miami between Porter and James.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the only way the Steelers sign them and Keisel is if they have injuries at those positions in camp...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I agree...I like the move. I'm not usually for bringing old vets back because I like those spots to be reserved for young developing talent. With that said, this D needs some nasty...and with Heyward, Mitchell, Harrison and Porter setting the tone...I don't think nasty will be a problem.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, give me some Nasty!! The Legend lives on...

Stonio could be watching football from his couch this fall...and he is probably OK with that.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Yeah, give me some Nasty!! The Legend lives on...

Stonio could be watching football from his couch this fall...and he is probably OK with that.
    The reason I say he won't be fine with that is that I bet you he blew his cash already. How many kids does he have with all different mothers? That gets costly.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'm not as hard on Holmes as a lot of others here... he was a very good player for us. In my opinion, he was better overall player than Mike Wallace. With that said, I doubt he returns to the Steelers.

Harrison is intriguing but I'm not confident he returns either. I would think Keisel may be the most likely to return on a 1 year deal.

Legend

User Info Menu

james wouldnt have to worry about being asked back if he didnt blow off the organization, teammates and fans when the steelers offered him a contract last year
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown