Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will The Scab Refs Giving Baltimore a Win Hurt Us?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I don't care what you think of the replacement refs and how they affect the Steelers...go try and be a Packers player, coach, or fan right now.
    That was a downright embarrassing display by the officials tonight. To call that NFL is a joke.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    That was a downright embarrassing display by the officials tonight. To call that NFL is a joke.
    I don't watch college football because I find it to be sloppy and difficult to watch.

Welcome to Roger Goodell's new NFL.

Backup

User Info Menu

Same as always, just getting the media attention now. The replay refs are the full time guys. By rule the receiver had his hands on the ball and there was dual possesion....it could go either way, and seattle never let go. Hey at least it a fair playing field now, the Pats and the Pac both lost on calls that they normally win on.

To answer that question, officials referred to the NFL Rulebook, specifically rule 8, section 1, article 3, item 5 (there are a lot of rules in that book; it's about 10 times as long as the United States Constitution):

If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control.

In less-Hochulian terms: You know the "tie goes to the runner" rule in baseball? Simultaneous catch is the football equivalent. If two guys come down with the ball, somebody has to be credited with a catch and it might as well be the team that already has possession. It's a rule of convenience and common sense.
    Last edited by SDSteel1; 09-25-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The issue is that the two officials looked at each other and then made opposite calls simultaneously. In a situation that is so clearly debatable they need to do just that...talk about it and make a call both officials agree on.

It's not the 'speed of the game' plays or the questionable calls that is the problem, because yeah, the regular refs have the same issues there...it's the way the new refs handle the game and game situations that is a clear issue.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    Same as always, just getting the media attention now.
    No, that's not it.

I don't even have cable, so I don't watch SportsCenter or Total Access or any of that crap. I don't even watch pregame or postgame shows. The only things I watch are the games themselves, so I am not overexposed to the media coverage...

The replacement refs are, in fact, much worse than the regular refs...not only in the area of missed calls/non-calls-that-should-be-called, but they are lacking in their knowledge of the rules and are unable to control the game...

The fact that regulation games taking almost four hours is becoming commonplace rather than a rarity is a reflection on the refs...

The refs are also allowing some players to get away with more, which eventually leads to other players being hurt...what happened to Ziggy is a prime example...the refs called nothing on the Raiders, so players pushed the envelope and got away with a blatant chop block...

It has become pathetic...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

The refs are also allowing some players to get away with more
    But we don't seem to be taking advantage of this. CBs really seem to be the ones getting away with the most. The 5 yard contact rule has morphed into the 10 yard contact. Heck contact seems to be tolerated more in general. I kinda like it. Let the players play.

But the Steelers CBs aren't taking advantage. And we've got 3 big DBs that should be hitting anyone coming off the LOS.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    But we don't seem to be taking advantage of this. CBs really seem to be the ones getting away with the most. The 5 yard contact rule has morphed into the 10 yard contact. Heck contact seems to be tolerated more in general. I kinda like it. Let the players play.

But the Steelers CBs aren't taking advantage. And we've got 3 big DBs that should be hitting anyone coming off the LOS.
    Ike has gotten away with quite a bit, as has Keenan Lewis...

But, the Steelers haven't tried anything cheap like an illegal chop block to my knowledge...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srk173 View Post
    something i forgot about that my father brought up today was the 15 yrd penalty on the raiders on the brown fumble touchdown fiasco was to be assessed on the kick off. It was not and that was the return that they brought out to the 40 or 50. any kicker can kick out of the endzone when given an extra 15. so a drive that should have started at their own 20 gave them great field position due to the refs.
    Incorrect. The penalty was assessed and the kickoff led to a touchback.

• 2-11-OAK 11 (1:32) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short right to 84-A.Brown to OAK 1 for 10 yards (52-P.Wheeler). FUMBLES (52-P.Wheeler), and recovers at OAK 0. TOUCHDOWN. PENALTY on OAK-93-T.Kelly, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced between downs. The Replay Assistant challenged the loose ball recovery ruling, and the play was Upheld.
    • 6-S.Suisham extra point is GOOD, Center-60-G.Warren, Holder-9-D.Butler.
    • PIT 31 OAK 21 Plays: 8 Possession: 5:04
    • Oakland Raiders at 01:31
    • 6-S.Suisham kicks 58 yards from 50 to OAK -8. 25-M.Goodson, Touchback.

Rookie

User Info Menu

ya with as fast as the raiders were scoring there I must have gotten them confused.