Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Priority #2 taken care of to win SB #7 (targets for Ben to throw to) ...

Legend

User Info Menu

Priority #2 taken care of to win SB #7 (targets for Ben to throw to) ...

But in my mind it's all for naught until we check priority #1 off the list - dong what is needed to absolutely keep Ben upright this year.

To my simple point of view it means an OL that is more than minimally functional. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be where we are, based on last year, and the years before that. Less simplistically, maybe it means play calls where for any given OL configuration it's less likely for Ben to be hit (more roll outs, more play action, I don't exactly know what it will take). But through some combination of FA, drafting, play calling, strength training, coaching ... anything and everything! ... we need to keep Ben in the huddle and off the bench as much as possible.

If Ben is upright - we can win the SB. If he's not - we can't, doesn't matter how good our CBs or OLBs or NTs are.

Just my 2c!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm still not opposed to the thought of drafting a day one starting Guard in the first round. Although it doesn't seem likely.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    I'm still not opposed to the thought of drafting a day one starting Guard in the first round. Although it doesn't seem likely.
    I guess going through the draft is our only option if we haven't made moves in FA. Though a day-1 starter straight out of college seems unlikely, even Pouncey needed some warm-up time.

Why won't the FO listen to me??

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    It's very possible that Cooper or Warmack might be the BPA at #17. Even though you just spent so many of your recent high draft choices on the OL in recent years (#1 on C, #2 on T, #1 on G, #2 on T), if the best player available just so happens to be another offensive lineman, then you take him as the best player available.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

We do not need to spend a premium pick on an interior lineman. Foster is solid, and DD should recover nicely. Where the Steelers should be looking is at their questionable tackles.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    But in my mind it's all for naught until we check priority #1 off the list - dong what is needed to absolutely keep Ben upright this year.

To my simple point of view it means an OL that is more than minimally functional. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be where we are, based on last year, and the years before that. Less simplistically, maybe it means play calls where for any given OL configuration it's less likely for Ben to be hit (more roll outs, more play action, I don't exactly know what it will take). But through some combination of FA, drafting, play calling, strength training, coaching ... anything and everything! ... we need to keep Ben in the huddle and off the bench as much as possible.

If Ben is upright - we can win the SB. If he's not - we can't, doesn't matter how good our CBs or OLBs or NTs are.

Just my 2c!

No doubt.
    Ben's injury hurt this team badly last year. If not for that injury, we are in the playoffs and could have taken it a long way (though losing Heath would have hurt our chances significantly in the playoffs).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It would be tough to pass on Cooper the guard from UNC if he was there at 17, but a first round tackle is not likely a possibility. Which sucks because we only have 3 on the roster I think. Gilbert, Adams, and Joe Long. Tackle definitely needs to be addressed this offseason.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    It would be tough to pass on Cooper the guard from UNC if he was there at 17, but a first round tackle is not likely a possibility. Which sucks because we only have 3 on the roster I think. Gilbert, Adams, and Joe Long. Tackle definitely needs to be addressed this offseason.
    Enter Max Starks... again

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think our season goes as well as our offensive line goes. Dwyer and Redman are fine if we have a good offensive line. Ben is great when he has a running game to support him which makes his play action work. In fact I think Ben is the best in the business right now running play action. The thing is Ben can't do it himself like he could back in 2008. We are not going to have a good defense this year ... we will be counting on young, inexperienced players ... so we are going to have to become an offensive team. To do that we need a good offensive line. I think the players we have could become that but we have no depth so any injury can derail us. Therefore taking another lineman with a high pick is not a bad idea. We would have to deal with it in a couple of years when they are all up for a new contract
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelesfan View Post
    I guess going through the draft is our only option if we haven't made moves in FA. Though a day-1 starter straight out of college seems unlikely, even Pouncey needed some warm-up time.

Why won't the FO listen to me??
    I'm sorry what did you say?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.