Week 11 - Lions vs Steelers

45 P/A
    27 R/A

Won 37 - 27

Week 12 - Browns vs Steelers

34 P/A
    34 R/A

Won 27 - 11
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you notice a trend here? When we had a more balanced attack, we won. When we went pass happy, we lost. It really is that simple. Yes, I know that different circumstances calls for passing, but we were never so far behind in any of those losses that we had to pass, except the 4th Q of the Cheatriots game.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Somewhere, a certain ex-poster is reading your post and about to have a coronary...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Your point is justified if we have Adrian peterson as Running Back. Steelers running game sucks.

Redman/Dwyer for first 4 games and you want to run more?? A bubble screen of 4 yards is as good as a run and Steelers deploy it heavily.

Run-Run_pass-punt is a good offense when you are sitting on a big lead in 4th Q like in Brownies game but to run for the heck of it is plain stupid. They could not even get 1 yard in 2 attempts against Stains.

Run attempts are less because Steelers RBs has done nothing. Blame it on O-line, play design or whatever...When your avg is 2-3 YPC i will never attempt to run unless i want to kill the clock or Defense is not stacking the box.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I did notice this too during the game. the commitment to the run.

Honestly as long as you're not losing yards, the running game is always your best game when you're O-Line isn't the greatest.
    Notice BEN never got sacked once??? why?? cuz Pass Rushers had to guess.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Your point is justified if we have Adrian peterson as Running Back. Steelers running game sucks.

Redman/Dwyer for first 4 games and you want to run more?? A bubble screen of 4 yards is as good as a run and Steelers deploy it heavily.

Run-Run_pass-punt is a good offense when you are sitting on a big lead in 4th Q like in Brownies game but to run for the heck of it is plain stupid. They could not even get 1 yard in 2 attempts against Stains.

Run attempts are less because Steelers RBs has done nothing. Blame it on O-line, play design or whatever...When your avg is 2-3 YPC i will never attempt to run unless i want to kill the clock or Defense is not stacking the box.
    IMO you have to run regardless to keep the D honest.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not true. We won a couple with pass heavy play -- Detroit for instance.
    We simply dont have the running backs to rely too much on the running game. Even Leveon is only averaging 3.5 a rush.

If we didn't have bonehead fumbles and ints (in the RZ too!), some of those losses would be wins. That wasn't on the balance of the attack; it was about getting the ball 8 yards from the EZ and then handing it over.
    Also, our D was burned as chad scott until the NE game. Then they seem to have turned things around a bit. Our O wasn't shining, but then a *lot* of our initial losses was on the D. If AB hadn't coughed up an int, we'd probably have 38 points in the NE game. And we'd *still* have lost.

Legend

User Info Menu

The obvious reply by anyone who wants to refute your argument is that "of course they abandon the run when they are losing, and run more to close out the game when they are winning". The Steelers went into the fourth Q of the first four games down by 8, 7, 7, and 17. Not blow out, but bad enough so that you would expect more run than pass to close out the game.

However, I think that we need to look at other numbers as well...

Ten - 15 rushes, 31 yards - 2 YPC!!
    Cin - 16 rushes, 44 yards - less than 3 YPC
    Chi - 21 rushes, 81 yards - running well but down 17-0 right away
    Min - 21 rushes, 77 yards - down 17 going into the fourth and only one rush in the fourth Q

Then after the bye...

NYJ - 26 rushes, 73 yards - still under 3 YPC but up 10 going into the 4th. 11 Rushes in the 4th, 6 on last drive starting with 2:59 left.
    Bal - 29 rushes, 141 yards - almost 5ypc, and the first game breaking 100 as a team!
    Oak - 19 rushes, 35 yards - down big from the word go and no ground game at all, under 2 YPC
    NE - 20 rushes, 108 yards - down 21-3 and 24-10 by the end of the half. Decent number of rushes under the circumstances.
    Buf - 33 rushes, 136 yards - running well and winning, that will always give you a run heavy offense
    Det - 27 rushes, 40 yards - 1.5 YPC and 46 drop backs (45 att + 1 sack) Ben had more attempts than the team had rushing yards!!
    Cle - 34 rushes, 85 yards - another poor day 2.5 YPC, but thats what you get up 10 at the hAlf and 17 thru 3

So, in the classic chicken or egg argument, I say that the team isn't winning because they are running the ball more, I say that they have improved as their running game has improved, and a key to losing at the start of the year was not because they were not running enough, it is because they were running horribly with the likes of Redman on the roster, and no Bell.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

All I'm saying is if you're balanced and teams are guessing, pass rushers will be less reluctant to line up Wide 9 and speed rush your OTs.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    Not true. We won a couple with pass heavy play -- Detroit for instance.
    We simply dont have the running backs to rely too much on the running game. Even Leveon is only averaging 3.5 a rush.

If we didn't have bonehead fumbles and ints (in the RZ too!), some of those losses would be wins. That wasn't on the balance of the attack; it was about getting the ball 8 yards from the EZ and then handing it over.
    Also, our D was burned as chad scott until the NE game. Then they seem to have turned things around a bit. Our O wasn't shining, but then a *lot* of our initial losses was on the D. If AB hadn't coughed up an int, we'd probably have 38 points in the NE game. And we'd *still* have lost.
    I think we won with Detroit because we caught them off guard with the uptempo offense... pretty sure the Lions thought we would go run heavy due to the weather and our past wins with a high run total.

Throw out the NE game because that was a shootout... but just about every other game was lost due to fumbles and INT's from our passing game.

I think we also have to look at situational ball... what was our run to pass ratio in the first half? Did we run heavy in W's because we were chewing clock?

Regardless, I think we need to continue to feed Bell to keep the LB's and D on their toes.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In most cases, we ran more when we had the lead and passed more when we were down. That is pretty normal.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.