Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace wants to be paid like Vincent Jackson, not Larry Fitzgerald

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Wallace wants to be paid like Vincent Jackson, not Larry Fitzgerald

Wallace wants to be paid like Vincent Jackson, not Fitzgerald

Posted by Evan Silva on July 28, 2012

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee published a story in late March stating that Steelers unsigned restricted free agent receiver Mike Wallace was targeting Larry Fitzgerald money in long-term contract talks. The widely held immediate reaction was that Wallace had overvalued himself. Fitzgerald signed an eight-year, $120 million contract last August. His deal included $50 million guaranteed.

On Friday night, however, Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote that Wallace’s asking price is more in line with the five-year, $55.555 million contract signed by Bucs receiver Vincent Jackson during the spring. Jackson’s deal contains $26 million guaranteed.

And that’s a big difference.

Fitzgerald’s average annual value is $15 million, whereas Jackson’s is a more affordable $11.1 million. And Jackson got a lot less of his value guaranteed.

So while common perception has continued to be that Wallace wants to be paid like Fitz, his monetary demands may not be quite so exorbitant. Wallace is entering his age-26 season and commands heavy defensive attention even when he isn’t catching passes, opening up the field for others. Jackson and Fitzgerald do the same, but they are both 29.

The Steelers are expected to listen to trade offers for Wallace, and Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has “guessed” that he might only cost a fourth-round pick. If the monetary price has come down, too, then perhaps a team looking for a playmaker will be willing to pay those costs, and the receiver nicknamed “60 Minutes” will be playing ball in a different locale in 2012.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't find that to be a unreasonable number honestly. He's worth that sort of contract and I hope we pay him.

Backup

User Info Menu

Snatch98...Ur way off!!

Wallace is all but gone. He aint a STEELER!!

The Steelers reaction from Rooney, to Colbert, to MT, confirm the height of displeasure
    they are harboring for him at this time.

I think, no, I know Wallace is SCARED!!! He finished the 2nd half of last season averaging less than
    5 receptions for 60 yards per game. (that's a guess, but I think I'm close), and I believe he wants to
    be paid before everyone finds out he"s really not THAT GOOD!!!!!!!!

And it appears he doesn't care if he's a STEELER or not, and that fine...its a business.

Wallace and his [EMAIL="dumb@$$"]dumb@$$[/EMAIL] agent are holding out, knowing that the past hold-outs
    have gotten nowhere until they report to the team.

Wallace just watched Brown sign a contract right under his nose. Wallace looks
    as dumb as a bag of rocks!

Let this selfish, little b!tch find another QB as good as Ben...

I'm done with him on or off the team!! If he"s on this team, it's just for 2012,
    and then he's gone!!!

FU Wallie!!!

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, I'd like to see Wallace return, if even for a year or two. With him playing, I think our receiving corps is the best in the league.

Do I think he'll return? I'm feeling less optimistic by the hour.

Can't blame the Steelers for their position, but I can't be too hard on Wallace either. If he was already under contract, that would be another story.

Bottom line, I think the Steelers will be OK even if he doesn't come back. But I sure hope he does.

My advice would be, "Mike, get your butt into camp. At this point, I can't see how you improve your position by continuing to hold out."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I don't find that to be a unreasonable number honestly. He's worth that sort of contract and I hope we pay him.
    I'm with you on this one. Hopefully, they get a deal done. While the Steelers can win without him, they are a better team with him.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I'd rather have him report and deactivate him if he's not going to play than trade his rights for a 4th round pick...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Also, Jackson's contract is set up rather strangely and not in a way that the Steelers can duplicate...

Jackson's $26 million guaranteed is ALL SALARY in the first two years, because the Bucs have SO much cap space...afte those two years, there is no prorated signing bonus, so he can be cut without penalty...

Legend

User Info Menu

Also, the total worth of Jackson's contract is $55,555,555. For those of you counting at home, that would be ocho cincos.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDSteeler View Post
    Snatch98...Ur way off!!

Wallace is all but gone. He aint a STEELER!!

The Steelers reaction from Rooney, to Colbert, to MT, confirm the height of displeasure
    they are harboring for him at this time.

I think, no, I know Wallace is SCARED!!! He finished the 2nd half of last season averaging less than
    5 receptions for 60 yards per game. (that's a guess, but I think I'm close), and I believe he wants to
    be paid before everyone finds out he"s really not THAT GOOD!!!!!!!!

And it appears he doesn't care if he's a STEELER or not, and that fine...its a business.

Wallace and his dumb@$$ agent are holding out, knowing that the past hold-outs
    have gotten nowhere until they report to the team.

Wallace just watched Brown sign a contract right under his nose. Wallace looks
    as dumb as a bag of rocks!

Let this selfish, little b!tch find another QB as good as Ben...

I'm done with him on or off the team!! If he"s on this team, it's just for 2012,
    and then he's gone!!!

FU Wallie!!!

JD
    Wow...compared to you, squidkid comes off as Wallace's best friend. JD is FROOOOOTHING AT THE MOUTH LIKE A CRAZED DOG awfully early this season.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why would we trade him for a 4th when we could get a 3rd when he leaves after next season anyways?