Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Adams Sets Sights higher

Legend

User Info Menu

One thing is for sure, if these guys pan out as expected, Adams, Gilbert, DeCastro and Pouncey (he's already panned out) the Steelers will have to make hay during their first contracts. There will be no way to keep them together if they all progress and become the players that the Steelers believe they will. The Steelers will have a lot of premium picks wrapped up in offensive linemen, two first rounders and two second rounders.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    He just wants to get paid.

Adams is better suited at RT and I prefer Gilby at LT. I wish these guys were more team focused than me focused. We never hear any guys talking team first anymore.
    I would prefer neither one at either position. Two undermotivated sloppy players as our bookends?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The times I've seen Adams play at LT, he looks too slow. But he's been a dominant run blocker the few games he's played RT. I think the kid's got All Pro potential at RT.

Gilbert's weaker at the point of attack. But I like his feet a little better and think he can develop into a solid LT. Not sure he can be great, let alone good. He reminds me a little of Trai Essex with a little more athleticism. The big question for Gilbert is how hard he'll work to be good. I wouldn't be upset if the Steelers drafted another LT in April.
    I wish I could see what you see. Adams is and has always been inconsistent. I mean Kemo could run block...didn't make him a good lineman.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    One thing is for sure, if these guys pan out as expected, Adams, Gilbert, DeCastro and Pouncey (he's already panned out) the Steelers will have to make hay during their first contracts. There will be no way to keep them together if they all progress and become the players that the Steelers believe they will. The Steelers will have a lot of premium picks wrapped up in offensive linemen, two first rounders and two second rounders.

Pappy
    That is why you can't quit drafting good OL as many want to. You have to have depth and options so you don't get into the situation we have typically done on defense where we invest so much in the players learning an overly complex defense that we have no choice but to resign them.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That is why you can't quit drafting good OL as many want to. You have to have depth and options so you don't get into the situation we have typically done on defense where we invest so much in the players learning an overly complex defense that we have no choice but to resign them.
    I wouldn't mind if we drafted a Fisher or Warmack if they were there when we pick, as you said, its good to have depth that can actually play well if needed.
    Taking a look at the Steeler team in general, the offensive side of the ball needs the most help. When your O-line is strong everything works off that and more importantly your star QB has a better chance of staying upright and fewer injuries.
    Drafting an O-lineman will fall on deaf ears, most likely they won't draft a lineman in the top two rounds and focus on other positions.

Yeah, get that OLB and keep averaging a mere 21 points a game > points
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I would prefer neither one at either position. Two undermotivated sloppy players as our bookends?
    I kind of agree... but I'm willing to give Adams another year before declaring him sloppy and under motivated. Gilbert? That dude will end up getting released by the end of next year. He isn't built for the NFL. Physically he has it but mentally he is soft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I wouldn't mind if we drafted a Fisher or Warmack if they were there when we pick, as you said, its good to have depth that can actually play well if needed.
    Taking a look at the Steeler team in general, the offensive side of the ball needs the most help. When your O-line is strong everything works off that and more importantly your star QB has a better chance of staying upright and fewer injuries.
    Drafting an O-lineman will fall on deaf ears, most likely they won't draft a lineman in the top two rounds and focus on other positions.

Yeah, get that OLB and keep averaging a mere 21 points a game > points
    this team is in no position to be drafting for depth. I am against going OL in the 1st because I feel we have invested in that group enough for them to be successful. No way fisher is there at 17, so if we end up with warmack I won't hate the pick because I believe we would be getting a very good football player. But I won't love it either.

just feel we have bigger needs, and no I don't care one bit about getting an "instant starter" as some here feel is the only valuation of a 1st round draft pick. I'm certainly happy the steelers FO doesn't see it that way.

Legend

User Info Menu

size wise

adams looks more like the protoypical LT and gilbert the more prototypical RT.

adms also has more experience at LT then gilbert (1 year of LT in college)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    this team is in no position to be drafting for depth. I am against going OL in the 1st because I feel we have invested in that group enough for them to be successful. No way fisher is there at 17, so if we end up with warmack I won't hate the pick because I believe we would be getting a very good football player. But I won't love it either.

just feel we have bigger needs, and no I don't care one bit about getting an "instant starter" as some here feel is the only valuation of a 1st round draft pick. I'm certainly happy the steelers FO doesn't see it that way.
    plus, should we be drafting for depth in the high rounds?? that doesnt make sense to me. draft for depth in the later rounds.

we did it with worldis, heyward and hood and its come to bite us in the azz

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    you keep the most important postions.
    in order
    LT, C and then if there's cap room the OG. the other 2 positions can be filled easier