Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Le'Veon Bell vs Bettis: Who would you rather have?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I'm sorry but this shouldn't even be a discussion. Put Bettis in against defenses today and he would shred them even more than he did in his era. You spread the defense out and watch Bettis truck linebacker after linebacker. Let's see how Bell would do against 9 in the box that Bettis would regularly face in the 4th quarter ... and he would still grind out 1st down after 1st down. I don't care how good your line is that is a tough task.

In today's game there is always the threat of a pass which works in the running backs favor. Just take a look at New England's ground game to prove that. In the Bettis era it would be "hi diddle diddle Bettis up the middle" and there wasn't a damn thing the defense could do to stop him. Then throw in the fact that Bettis was a good receiver ... he would love to catch a screen pass with a little space ... and this discussion shouldn't even take place.

I hope in 4 or 5 years this discussion will be relevant because that would mean Bell has turned out to be a great back but I don't think we can say that right now.
    I agree 100%... watching that Bettis Tribute video I see LB's and DB's bouncing off Bettis like he was an over sized beach ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I'm sorry but this shouldn't even be a discussion. Put Bettis in against defenses today and he would shred them even more than he did in his era. You spread the defense out and watch Bettis truck linebacker after linebacker. Let's see how Bell would do against 9 in the box that Bettis would regularly face in the 4th quarter ... and he would still grind out 1st down after 1st down. I don't care how good your line is that is a tough task.

In today's game there is always the threat of a pass which works in the running backs favor. Just take a look at New England's ground game to prove that. In the Bettis era it would be "hi diddle diddle Bettis up the middle" and there wasn't a damn thing the defense could do to stop him. Then throw in the fact that Bettis was a good receiver ... he would love to catch a screen pass with a little space ... and this discussion shouldn't even take place.

I hope in 4 or 5 years this discussion will be relevant because that would mean Bell has turned out to be a great back but I don't think we can say that right now.
    The only problem here is the stats don't line up with your thinking. Bell was just effective as Bettis in each of his first 3 years...maybe more so. And I would argue that in a spread passing league its even more important to have a back that can catch...that can be split out. Bettis was no threat in the passing game.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Bettis was no threat in the passing game because Cowher (& Gailey, Gilbride, Sherman, Mularkey, Whisenhunt) chose not to use him in that way...

Bettis' first three years with the Rams, he caught 75 passes...and that third year was a significantly decreased workload that partially led to the trade...

He never got close to that many receptions in a similar time frame with the Steelers...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Bettis was no threat in the passing game because Cowher (& Gailey, Gilbride, Sherman, Mularkey, Whisenhunt) chose not to use him in that way...

Bettis' first three years with the Rams, he caught 75 passes...and that third year was a significantly decreased workload that partially led to the trade...

He never got close to that many receptions in a similar time frame with the Steelers...
    Bettis was never known as a route runner. You could swing him out, and he had effective enough hands that he could do that reasonably well. Bell is known for very good hands, and route running...a true dual threat. Bell can be split out...you can have him run slot routes...and he can do so effectively. That means you can keep D's in base defense and go spread no huddle directly from traditional running sets.

BTW: The stats I listed included Bettis' receiving stats.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

there is no substitute for the power and feet of Bettis.... beyond Marshawn Lynch I don't see a modern era NFL RB that can truck a LB'r like Bettis did to Urlacher...
    When all else was wrong with the offense, Bettis kept the machine running, carrying the entire offense on his back. I don't think I have seen a game yet where you could say the same of Bell. Not saying we won't, just haven't yet.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    there is no substitute for the power and feet of Bettis.... beyond Marshawn Lynch I don't see a modern era NFL RB that can truck a LB'r like Bettis did to Urlacher...
    When all else was wrong with the offense, Bettis kept the machine running, carrying the entire offense on his back. I don't think I have seen a game yet where you could say the same of Bell. Not saying we won't, just haven't yet.
    I agree with that. And I think that is the best argument for Bettis. He could take over a game. I would want to see that ability from Bell, and haven't as of yet. With that said, if this OL shows up next season...I want to revisit this conversation because I think Steeler fans might be willing to engage this conversation on a different level.
    Trolls are people too.