Thread: Steelers WRs productive, but turnovers are limiting their impact

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers WRs productive, but turnovers are limiting their impact

Steelers wide receivers have been productive, but turnovers are limiting their impact

December 22, 2012
    By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Antonio Brown was fortunate to recover this fumble against the Oakland Raiders in September, but controlling the ball in key situations in games has been a problem all season for the Steelers' wide receivers.

In his first NFL game, the first time he touched the ball, Antonio Brown returned a kickoff 89 yards for a touchdown at Tennessee. For the longest time, it seemed Brown could do no wrong.

Other big plays followed the kick return in his rookie year in 2010. Brown caught a 58-yard pass that set up the winning touchdown in an AFC divisional-round playoff victory against the Baltimore Ravens. In the AFC championship game, Brown caught the first-down pass from Ben Roethlisberger that clinched victory against the New York Jets.

Brown followed up his highly productive rookie season by earning team MVP honors last season. He compiled 1,108 receiving yards and went to the Pro Bowl for his work on special teams as a kick-returner.

The Steelers rewarded him with a six-year, $42.5 million dollar contract during training camp.

But, in his first season as a full-time starter, Brown's expected breakout year has been spoiled by a few untimely errors and an ankle injury.

He has fumbled twice in crucial situations that allowed opponents to come from behind to beat the Steelers. In the third game of the season at Oakland, he fumbled in the fourth quarter with the Steelers leading by three. The Raiders marched down the field for the tying field goal with 6:30 left, then kicked the winning field goal on the final play of regulation.

Last week in Dallas, Brown fumbled after a long punt return with the Steelers up by a touchdown. The Cowboys scored the tying touchdown with 6:55 remaining in regulation and won in overtime.

In between, Brown missed three games with a sprained ankle.

"You have to rise up," Brown said. "It's definitely time to rise up. I'm not looking backward on those moments. I just know I have to better, and this week presents another opportunity."

Brown has 668 yards receiving and three touchdowns, but his issue has not been so much a lack of production as fumbling. He had one fumble in his first two seasons. He has four this season. He fumbled twice against Oakland and was fortunate to recover the first in the end zone for a touchdown.

Brown hasn't been the only Steeler with a fumbling problem. It's been a team-wide problem and has contributed greatly to seven losses.

The Steelers have 18 turnovers in the past five games. They are 1-4 in those games and on the brink of playoff elimination as a result.

"I have to definitely be smart and protect the ball," Brown said. "I have to be more ball-aware and make it a point of emphasis to secure it in the game. I have to be smarter in situations."

Fellow third-year receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who has three fumbles, said coach Mike Tomlin has spent the week reinforcing to players the importance of protecting the ball.

"This entire week we've been focused on keeping the ball high and tight," Sanders said. "Coach has made a great emphasis on ball security. Whether it's fumbling or interceptions or dropping passes -- just take care of the football. We know we have to do that. We've lost the majority of games because of turnovers. It's a problem we have to handle, and we're going to try to handle it this week."

Sanders and Mike Wallace have not enjoyed the seasons they thought they would, either. Wallace has been plagued by drops and has not made as many big plays as he did his first three seasons. Like Brown, Sanders has dealt with injuries and has had his share of turnovers and drops.

But the season doesn't have to be a washout for the receivers. A victory Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals at Heinz Field and another next week against Cleveland will land the Steelers in the playoffs.

"The season's not over," veteran receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "We have something to fight for the last two games. What better way to help this team than win these last two games, get in the playoffs and make a run? How we got to this point, we're not going to waste time and energy dwelling on that. We're just going to look at what's in front of us. Let's go make some plays and get in these playoffs."

If the previous two games are any indication, the receivers should have plenty of opportunities to make plays. The running game has been inconsistent and Roethlisberger attempted 81 passes in the losses against the San Diego Chargers and Cowboys after returning from rib and shoulder injuries.

Brown said the receivers want the game on their shoulders.

"This week is a point of emphasis for guys in our room to step up," he said. "We can be a reason we win this Sunday."

NOTES -- Cornerback Keenan Lewis was limited in practice with a knee injury, but he is listed as probable. He did not practice Thursday. "I did a little more running around," he said. "I feel like it's getting better. I still have two more days and, hopefully, I'll be ready to go. I have two more days to see where I'm at. I'm excited. I feel like it's getting better. It got better from Wednesday to today. Two more days, it should be better." ... If Lewis cannot play, the Steelers would be without their top two corners against the Bengals. Ike Taylor (leg) was ruled out earlier in the week. ... The good news for the Steelers is cornerback Cortez Allen (groin) is listed as probable and will start after missing the Cowboys game... Offensive tackle Mike Adams (ankle) is listed as doubtful, and several others are listed as probable, including linebacker James Harrison (illness), offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey (illness) and defensive end Cameron Heyward (not injury-related).

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-wide-receivers-have-been-productive-but-turnovers-are-limiting-their-impact-667390/#ixzz2FnZIz0n4[/URL]
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 12-22-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

And they never seem to do anything to fix it. I just don't get it. Hold onto the damn ball, first and foremost. Coach Coughlin would NEVER put up with this.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    And they never seem to do anything to fix it. I just don't get it. Hold onto the damn ball, first and foremost. Coach Coughlin would NEVER put up with this.
    Guess you didn't read this part:

"This entire week we've been focused on keeping the ball high and tight," Sanders said. "Coach has made a great emphasis on ball security. Whether it's fumbling or interceptions or dropping passes -- just take care of the football. We know we have to do that. We've lost the majority of games because of turnovers. It's a problem we have to handle, and we're going to try to handle it this week."
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

we'll have 3 lost fumbles and 1 INT and lose the game and consequently be eliminated from playoff contention.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Guess you didn't read this part:

They should make the WRs and RBs carry around balls all week and fine them if anyone strips them anywhere/anytime.

Legend

User Info Menu

"This entire week we've been focused on keeping the ball high and tight,"
    My 7 year old son knows this...I drill it into his head every day.
    It's sad that grown men making millions of dollars need to practice this.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    My 7 year old son knows this...I drill it into his head every day.
    It's sad that grown men making millions of dollars need to practice this.
    If your seven-year old took a massive hit he would drop the ball in a millisecond. It is all easy in a safe comfortable environment. Comparing little leagues to the NFL is absurd. I think a few times this year Wallace looked uninterested but in the vast majority of cases, it just happens after a massive hit or a strip. Coughlin wouldn't make a bit of difference either. The coaches emphasize this constantly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    If your seven-year old took a massive hit he would drop the ball in a millisecond. It is all easy in a safe comfortable environment. Comparing little leagues to the NFL is absurd. I think a few times this year Wallace looked uninterested but in the vast majority of cases, it just happens after a massive hit or a strip. Coughlin wouldn't make a bit of difference either. The coaches emphasize this constantly.
    I don't know about that. I think there have been plenty of fumbles that were strips rather than hits (and even one where no defender touched the ball!.....Sanders). If one guy does it, you can blame it on the guy. If multiple guys are doing it, it does start to speak of technique and coaching.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

When it rains it pours especially with the Steelers this year. It's not only the receivers, backs, with the fumbles, but the mistakes that impact drives.
    Special team mistakes as well, if I remember correctly we had some big returns, a few that were TD's called back for holding or block in the back penalty's.

Thats history now, we start a new season today. I believe if our Steelers get their act together no team will want us in the playoffs and that includes New England. It all starts this afternoon.......JUST WIN BABY!