Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For those bashing the Steelers drafting ability

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I think the 2009 draft only has 2 players left on the team and one of them is Hood and he could be done after the upcoming year.

Pappy
    That doesn't make it a bad draft.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Espn The Mag. Has an article devoted to laying out the best and worst drafting teams. It is based off a statistical formula and the Steelers are second only to GB since 1994.
    I don't think anyone would argue we drafted well from 94 to around 04, or essentially the drafts that formed our Superbowl teams. It has been the last 8 or 9 years of that 19 year window that fans question, especially since Tomlin took over.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    you prefer blind homerism as a criiteria, i see
    I prefer to view it as a list created by ESPN... are they homers? Is it really that far fetched for a team who rarely uses free agency, builds through the draft and has been to 4 SB's and lost another 3 or 4 AFCC's to be #1?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    That doesn't make it a bad draft.
    Ziggy Hood and David Johnson, that's it, that can't possibly be a good draft, can it? I've heard Hood rated as the 29th out of 32, 3-4 DEs and I don't know where you put Johnson. Difficult for me not to rate that as a bad draft.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Ziggy Hood and David Johnson, that's it, that can't possibly be a good draft, can it? I've heard Hood rated as the 29th out of 32, 3-4 DEs and I don't know where you put Johnson. Difficult for me not to rate that as a bad draft.

Pappy
    It sure beats 2008 by a long shot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It sure beats 2008 by a long shot.
    I'm not certain it beats 2008 by a long shot, there is a real possibility that Johnson won't make it out of camp if the Steelers draft a TE in rounds 1, 2 or 3 and that will leave Evander, and then there was one.

It's hard to believe that out of two draft classes there are currently 2 players still on the team and a real possibility only one before training camp ends.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Since Mike T took over we have:

07 - 4 players
    08 - 0
    09 - 2
    10 - 6
    11 - 6
    12 - 6

That's 6 years and only 2 guys that are really special in Timmy and Woodley. Might be a couple more players that develop. But all in all, we're not getting the stud players year in and year out like we did leading up to Tomlin's tenure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    Of course it's not a good draft. You are correct - it downright sucks. A DE that's not even mediocre and a TE that was easily replaced by an undrafted FA who's much better. 2009 was a total bust as was 2008.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Of course it's not a good draft. You are correct - it downright sucks. A DE that's not even mediocre and a TE that was easily replaced by an undrafted FA who's much better. 2009 was a total bust as was 2008.
    The worst part about the 2008 and 2009 drafts are that players from these drafts should be forming the core of the team moving forward and there aren't any players with which to form the core.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

We should be watching a group of guys who are ready to kick a$$ and chew bubblegum, and they are all out of bubblegum. Instead 4 and 5 years later we don't have any players who should be in their prime. Back to back years of total failure.