Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Change Nobody seems to have noticed

Legend

User Info Menu

A Change Nobody seems to have noticed

I recall the board screaming the last few years about the Steelers inability to close out games and prevent opponents from scoring at will late in games.
    The Steelers rank #3 in the league in fewest opponent points in the 4th qtr (AZ, DEN...go figure).
    I would say LeBeau has done a remarkable job with this defense in adjusting for life without Troy. And maybe it will extend Troy's life a bit by showing he doesn't need to be superman in every game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's a brain scratcher..... is LeBeau's defense performing more disciplined, more reliable football WITHOUT Troy?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Here's a brain scratcher..... is LeBeau's defense performing more disciplined, more reliable football WITHOUT Troy?
    Chadman, I think you are correct. Not knowing exactly where Troy was going to play on any given play had to put a lot of pressure on Clark and company. Time for Troy to settle down a little and cut down on the Tasmian devil play (unless of course the Steelers are in desperation for a splash play).

I'll add another head scratcher; how does this team defeat the likes of offenses like the Giants and Washington, and then lay eggs against Raiders and Titans and Browns?
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 12-05-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Chadman, I think you are correct. Not knowing exactly where Troy was going to play on any given play had to put a lot of pressure on Clark and company. Time for Troy to settle down a little and cut down on the Tasmian devil play (unless of course the Steelers are in desperation for a splash play).

I'll add another head scratcher; how does this team defeat the likes of offenses like the Giants and Washington, and then lay eggs against Raiders and Titans and Browns?
    Some of it is the team not being focused enough for weaker team; they would never speak it out loud but in their subconscious you know they had to be thinking all they had to do was show up in the black and gold and collect their win. How many times have we seen them play down to their competition?

Also, some has to do with them feeling like their back is a against the wall, vs. not. Look at the Giants. They are extreme with how the do this. Both their last Super Bowl wins, they only made it into the post season in week 17. They can beat anyone when they feel they need to, and lose to anyone when they don't. I think the Steelers have some of that same thing in them, although they will tell you every opponent is super tough and can't be overlooked and every game counts a lot.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think you guys are over thinking this whole thing in my opinion.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

I thought this a well back also Chadman. I love seeing Troy jump over the line sacking the QB's and making fabulous interceptions and what Troy can do but, I often wondered how with the regular play/defense did the other players know whom or what to defend if Troy is doing his independent thing.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I read somewhere, I can't recall right now but I'll look for it, that LeBeau often incorporates a freelancer into his defensive schemes...10 guys will have specific assignments while one guy will kind of do his own thing...that freelancer needs to know what the other 10 guys are supposed to do...this is why you will see Polamalu dive over the top of the pile on certain plays or try to anticipate snap counts...he is just supposed to follow his instincts while not duplicating efforts...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I read somewhere, I can't recall right now but I'll look for it, that LeBeau often incorporates a freelancer into his defensive schemes...10 guys will have specific assignments while one guy will kind of do his own thing...that freelancer needs to know what the other 10 guys are supposed to do...this is why you will see Polamalu dive over the top of the pile on certain plays or try to anticipate snap counts...he is just supposed to follow his instincts while not duplicating efforts...
    I do that with my Madden Defense. works pretty nicely!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

As to your added head scratcher ... The defense was playing lousy early in the year (Raiders and Titans games) but then they put Will Allen in the starting lineup, some guys got healtier (Harrison, Keisel, Hampton) and they began to play great defense. Even the Browns game they played great but if you give a team 7 turnovers, most in your own territory, the other team is going to score.

I think some LeBeau doubters are eating crow big time but that is just my opinion.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

No, they'll still whine about the amount of time it takes to get rookies on the field. The fact is, though, that these young guys are able to be successful once they finally do get on the field because they have the defense down and are able to just play instead of thinking out there. If you threw a guy like Jason Worilds or Cortez Allen into the fire full time as a rookie, their heads would have been spinning (regardless of whether we were running a 3-4, a 4-3, nickel, dime, or whatever), and that can cause a young guy to lose his confidence (and once that mojo is gone, it is exceedingly hard to get back). LeBeau puts them out when they are ready. Not only is it the best thing for the defense, but is the best thing for those young guys in the long run.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.