Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL Teams Favor Spread Offense

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You need a run game but you probably can't match the scoring by trying to run the ball at 4 yards per carry. The "fast break" offense will just outscore you and you can't really slow it down because the rules favor that kind of play.
    +1

Compound it with Red Zone struggles and you get a 21st scoring despite doing really well in other categories of offense. Less Offensive possession equals less scoring oppurtunity.

Todd haley need to start using the entire field of football. Start using short passes to AB,Rainey and Miller and if CB start pressing well start throwing 50 yard passes to Wallace and burn the CBs.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    In order to run a spread offense, it would probably be a good idea to employ a guy who is able to take the top off a defense, giving you big play possibilities as well as opening up things underneath as well (even if it costs more than $8 million per season to secure his services).

+1

Steelers will need Mike Wallace to take to top of the defense to make passing offense potent. One can't just shorten the field and allow your QB to turn to Captain Checkdown and make life easy for opponent Defensive Backs.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't mind that this is a passing league and yes, it is probably more suited for our current Steeler players. I also agree that you can't stay ahead or play catch up to a team that passes while your team is trying to run for their scores. To me it's all about impossing your will on the other team be it running or passing. A team needs to run the ball in certain situations. Going for a 1 or 2 yard mark, endzone or just taking over the game along with clock management. At some point the NFL will evolve so much that, players or teams will no longer have the teachings of how to stop the run. ( not that they won't but, it will be far from their strength as a player or a team ) Once tha happens, everyone will jump on the running game train.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Allow me to play devil's advocate here:

Big pass play offenses score a lot of points, yes. But if the slow running based offense scores every time they have the ball too, then there is no difference in score.

Which defense will be more worn out and likely to make mistakes and give up points at the end of the game - the one who has been on the field 70 plays making and taking hits to linemen and running backs, or the defense who has been on the field for 40 plays watching QBs and WRs play catch?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Allow me to play devil's advocate here:

Big pass play offenses score a lot of points, yes. But if the slow running based offense scores every time they have the ball too, then there is no difference in score.

Which defense will be more worn out and likely to make mistakes and give up points at the end of the game - the one who has been on the field 70 plays making and taking hits to linemen and running backs, or the defense who has been on the field for 40 plays watching QBs and WRs play catch?
    Not to mention, the more pass attempts, the more opportunities for the D to make splash plays. ie. QB strip sacks, INTs, QB sacks/hits, etc.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    +1

Compound it with Red Zone struggles and you get a 21st scoring despite doing really well in other categories of offense. Less Offensive possession equals less scoring oppurtunity.

Todd haley need to start using the entire field of football. Start using short passes to AB,Rainey and Miller and if CB start pressing well start throwing 50 yard passes to Wallace and burn the CBs.
    needs to start?

You are ready to send back a meal that hasn't been cooked yet...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Not to mention, the more pass attempts, the more opportunities for the D to make splash plays. ie. QB strip sacks, INTs, QB sacks/hits, etc.
    This right here... the last thing I want is a spread offense with Ben holding onto the ball and taking hits while looking for Wallace down field.

If it's the Tennessee or Pats blueprint I'm all for it... I'm not worried about Haley... I'm worried about Ben free styling Haleys plays when there isn't a need. I love when a play breaks down and Ben works his magic but other times Miller is wide open or a RB is open in the flat and Ben won't take it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    The Ravens, by having Rice, force us to have some run-stuffers on defense. And that should play to their advantage in the playoffs if they meet teams that don't have run-stuffers. We should be able to do the same with our backs and a balanced attack.
    Let's also remember that the Clowns drafted Richardson as well. That means at least four games a year against high powered rushing attacks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Let's also remember that the Clowns drafted Richardson as well. That means at least four games a year against high powered rushing attacks.
    Exactly. We have to be prepared to defend the run in the AFC North. Might as well make the rest of the league defend ours in the playoffs.