Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dermontti Dawson & Bubby Brister among latest to join concussion lawsuits against NFL

Legend

User Info Menu

Dermontti Dawson & Bubby Brister among latest to join concussion lawsuits against NFL

Concussion lawsuits don’t take a Fourth of July break
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 6, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT

The NFL has slowed down (relatively speaking) over the last week, but the burgeoning NFL concussion lawsuit industry hasn’t.

According to the folks at NFLConcussionLitigation.com (actually, it’s just one “folk,” and he’s now studying for the bar exam so there will be no updates until the end of the month), another 170 or so former players have joined the parade this week, pushing the total number of players suing the league north of 2,600.

The names include Bubby Brister, Bill Maas, Christian Okoye (who perhaps should have specifically named Steve Atwater as a defendant), soon-to-be-Hall of Famer Dermontti Dawson, and Stephen Davis (who perhaps should have specifically named Michael Westbrook as a defendant).

Soon, it will indeed be easier to simply name the former players who haven’t sued the league for concussions.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/06/concussion-lawsuits-dont-take-a-fourth-of-july-break/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I heard somewhere that Peyton Manning intentionally faked a baseline concussion test so that he wouldn't have a real concussion and not be able to pass the test and get held out of a game.

So that tells me, players are willing to trade immediate gratification for their long term health. Peyton has all the info about concussions. And he's still willing to take the risks.

I suspect of these 2600 players, they all would have taken the same risks if they knew all the info.

This is a bogus lawsuit. And likely a bunch of players just trying to make a quick buck in a bad economy because their careers are done and they didn't learn other skills to support themselves after football.

I'm sure there may be some guys that have a legit claim. But I suspect most don't.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've had concussions. I'm going to sue myself, my parents, my highschool, and the state of Pennsylvania.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I've had concussions.
    That explains a lot.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd like to know how many of these guys have squandered their money away?

Legend

User Info Menu

Players could win this lawsuit based on the fact that the league did very little or nothing when players suffered concussions. This could get very interesting.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Players could win this lawsuit based on the fact that the league did very little or nothing when players suffered concussions. This could get very interesting.
    The allegation is the league paid for a bogus brain injury study run by the league doctor who was just an internist, not a neurologist or neuropsychologist. That allegation is true. The endgame isn't a payoff for those in the suit, it's a pension plan for all past, present and future players. Remember that the league denied Mike Webster help. The cynical tort reform bs above is uninformed.

Hi, I'n new here. Any old friends from other forums?

Legend

User Info Menu

Dawson blew his money on bad real estate investments. Brister porbably just blew his. This is all about guys trying to milk the "golden goose" for all it is worth. You don't see John Stallworth suing do you? He successfully created and led a multi-million dolar business. Strange how he has no concussion symptoms. This is nothing but a money grab by guys who got use to living high on the hog and now they have to live and work like everyone else and they don't like it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Dawson blew his money on bad real estate investments. Brister porbably just blew his. This is all about guys trying to milk the "golden goose" for all it is worth. You don't see John Stallworth suing do you? He successfully created and led a multi-million dolar business. Strange how he has no concussion symptoms. This is nothing but a money grab by guys who got use to living high on the hog and now they have to live and work like everyone else and they don't like it.
    Wrong. Read the actual pleadings. Read about the NFL's stance on the issue in the 80's and 90's. The info is out there is you care enough to look. Or stick to the knee jerk character assassination of every player who is part of the suit without any effort at all.

Look at your signature. You are being the fantasy football player of legal and medical issues.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bubby rules. If he got a concussion it was because he slammed the ball to hard and it ricocheted back and hit him. JK
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION