Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Timmons still sucks in run defense

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Profootball Focus completely disagrees with you guys. They believe he had an excellent game.

[URL]https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/25/refo-steelers-raiders-week-3/[/URL]

Linebackers Strong Against the Run
    They may have been without James Harrison but the Steelers still got some very impressive play from their linebackers. None of the four graded negatively for the game, and three of them scored very well against the run. Lamarr Woodley (+1.8), Larry Foote (+2.3) and Lawrence Timmons (+3.3) all showed very well in the run game, and constantly knifed between blockers to make stops in and around the line of scrimmage. The four linebackers combined for 12 defensive stops and just a single missed tackle.
    Though Harrison is obviously a major loss for Pittsburgh, they will be pleased at how Chris Carter played in his stead. Carter may not have graded spectacularly (+0.2), but he made plays in the game and wasn’t exposed the way some players can be at that position.
    D-Line Needs Reinforcements
    I routinely wonder what some Steelers fans see in Ziggy Hood (-2.4), to the point that I’m actually checking plays more times than I normally would just to make sure I’m not missing some extremely subtle and under-the-radar level of dominance from him. It’s just not there. I was actually shocked in this outing when he made a good play in the run game–and even then he was beaten to the tackle by Timmons. Despite 36 snaps rushing the passer he failed to generate any pressure whatsoever.
    I understand that might not be his specialty in this defense (though given his college background it probably should be), but if he’s out there for 36 snaps against the pass he needs to be able to make himself a factor. Otherwise he is just dead weight, because he rarely commands more than one blocker. In the end it was another poor performance from Hood and, as Casey Hampton (-1.3) isn’t getting any younger, Pittsburgh need to find some linemen going forward.

Starter

User Info Menu

How dare you let facts get in the way of a message board thread!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    . In the end it was another poor performance from Hood and, as Casey Hampton (-1.3) isn’t getting any younger, Pittsburgh need to find some linemen going forward.
    When we get those defensive linemen we can then spend two years helping them unlearn how to go after the QB and learn how to "occupy" blockers. What a waste!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Profootball Focus completely disagrees with you guys. They believe he had an excellent game.

[URL]https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/25/refo-steelers-raiders-week-3/[/URL]

Linebackers Strong Against the Run
    They may have been without James Harrison but the Steelers still got some very impressive play from their linebackers. None of the four graded negatively for the game, and three of them scored very well against the run. Lamarr Woodley (+1.8), Larry Foote (+2.3) and Lawrence Timmons (+3.3) all showed very well in the run game, and constantly knifed between blockers to make stops in and around the line of scrimmage. The four linebackers combined for 12 defensive stops and just a single missed tackle.
    Though Harrison is obviously a major loss for Pittsburgh, they will be pleased at how Chris Carter played in his stead. Carter may not have graded spectacularly (+0.2), but he made plays in the game and wasn’t exposed the way some players can be at that position.
    D-Line Needs Reinforcements
    I routinely wonder what some Steelers fans see in Ziggy Hood (-2.4), to the point that I’m actually checking plays more times than I normally would just to make sure I’m not missing some extremely subtle and under-the-radar level of dominance from him. It’s just not there. I was actually shocked in this outing when he made a good play in the run game–and even then he was beaten to the tackle by Timmons. Despite 36 snaps rushing the passer he failed to generate any pressure whatsoever.
    I understand that might not be his specialty in this defense (though given his college background it probably should be), but if he’s out there for 36 snaps against the pass he needs to be able to make himself a factor. Otherwise he is just dead weight, because he rarely commands more than one blocker. In the end it was another poor performance from Hood and, as Casey Hampton (-1.3) isn’t getting any younger, Pittsburgh need to find some linemen going forward.
    I rewatched part of the game last night, and I must not have seen the part where Timmons played well against the run.

Two plays in particular that I recall did show me that Timmons is not getting the job done. The first was a run by Redman to the left. Pouncey went out and got an Oakland LBer, and it was a decent but not great block. Got both hands on him but did not pancake him or redirect. The Oakland LBer fought through the block and stopped Redman. If Pouncey had held the block longer or if the LBer had not fought through it, Redman would have had a nice gain.

By contrast, on a run to the left, the Oakland LG helped on Hampton then went out to get Timmons. Timmons was slow to react to the play and then LG only got one hand on him. Completely took Timmons out of the play. Pouncey had a much better block that was defeated by the Oakland LBer on Redman's run. After Timmons was taken out of the play, Clark missed the tackle and McFadden had a long gain.

Very small sample size, but some conclusions:

- Would like to see Pouncey maintain his blocks better at the second level;
    - Redman is no McFadden
    - Timmons needs to fight through blocks better.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I rewatched part of the game last night, and I must not have seen the part where Timmons played well against the run.

Two plays in particular that I recall did show me that Timmons is not getting the job done. The first was a run by Redman to the left. Pouncey went out and got an Oakland LBer, and it was a decent but not great block. Got both hands on him but did not pancake him or redirect. The Oakland LBer fought through the block and stopped Redman. If Pouncey had held the block longer or if the LBer had not fought through it, Redman would have had a nice gain.

By contrast, on a run to the left, the Oakland LG helped on Hampton then went out to get Timmons. Timmons was slow to react to the play and then LG only got one hand on him. Completely took Timmons out of the play. Pouncey had a much better block that was defeated by the Oakland LBer on Redman's run. After Timmons was taken out of the play, Clark missed the tackle and McFadden had a long gain.

- Redman is no McFadden
    2 plays out of how many defensive snaps?

Legend

User Info Menu

2 plays out of how many defensive snaps?
    I acknowledge - very small sample size. However, those 2 plays were consistent with a lot of what I saw -- that Timmons cannot fight through blocks. He may be effective if he is untouched, but an ILB needs to fight through blocks.

Administrator

User Info Menu

- Redman is no McFadden
    I don't care what profootballstats has to say. I've watched the game.... I rewatched the game. Timmons is not good in run defense. period. My sampling size is from the time Timmons became a full time starter to last week.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I acknowledge - very small sample size. However, those 2 plays were consistent with a lot of what I saw -- that Timmons cannot fight through blocks. He may be effective if he is untouched, but an ILB needs to fight through blocks.
    I'm not knocking you or your opinion. I'm just stating a well respected Pro Football Focus says that Timmons played well overall.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't care what profootballstats has to say. I've watched the game.... I rewatched the game. Timmons is not good in run defense. period. My sampling size is from the time Timmons became a full time starter to last week.
    Ha ha, It's not stats. They watch the All 22 and evaluate the in game play of people. They looked at every defensive snap and graded Timmons out well in this game. Pro Football Focus is very well respected in most all circles.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ha ha, It's not stats. They watch the All 22 and evaluate the in game play of people. They looked at every defensive snap and graded Timmons out well in this game. Pro Football Focus is very well respected in most all circles.
    You're missing the point. They don't support the anti-Timmons agenda. Get on board!!!!!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"