Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walterfootball.com's latest mock has JARVIS JONES falling to the Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

LT didn't work out either. He was kind of OK. This kid won't fall all the way to 17 unless he fails drug test or something like that. He has pure athletic skill and kills it on game day. I won't even bother thinking about him falling to 17 as it just ain't gonna happen.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones' description reads a lot like what they say about Geno Atkins (not a practice warrior, etc), and look how that has turned out..... just sayin...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Ditto! He'd also look pretty good as a 4-3 DE
    Ovi, you crack me up!
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Ditto! He'd also look pretty good as a 4-3 DE
    He won't be playing for the Steelers then.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I like me some Ziggy Ansah. Even though he is raw and relatively new to the game, he was still a dominant force during the Senior Bowl game.
    Ruthless, I sort of agree. This kid really intrigues me. I've seen him three times this year. Once, he looked confused and disinterested. Another time (San Diego State) he worked harder, but was fooled too often in the first half. In the second, he seemed to figure out the blocking scheme and forced the offense to work away from him. And, finally, at the senior bowl, when he just cut loose, he was dominant.

It will take him a year or two in the least to reach his potential. And, what is his position if the Steelers take him? If we play a 3-4, is he an OLB or a DE or a nickel pass rusher. Given that he is still learning, we would need to pick a position for him and stick to it. Personally, I think he will be most effective in a tampa 2 where he can play DE where he simply sets the edge vs the run and goes after the passer on pass plays.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Ruthless, I sort of agree. This kid really intrigues me. I've seen him three times this year. Once, he looked confused and disinterested. Another time (San Diego State) he worked harder, but was fooled too often in the first half. In the second, he seemed to figure out the blocking scheme and forced the offense to work away from him. And, finally, at the senior bowl, when he just cut loose, he was dominant.

It will take him a year or two in the least to reach his potential. And, what is his position if the Steelers take him? If we play a 3-4, is he an OLB or a DE or a nickel pass rusher. Given that he is still learning, we would need to pick a position for him and stick to it. Personally, I think he will be most effective in a tampa 2 where he can play DE where he simply sets the edge vs the run and goes after the passer on pass plays.
    He could contribute right away with his hand in the dirt as a DE in the nickel and dime defenses (that's essentially all that Aldon Smith did as a rookie, since he wasn't good enough against the run early on to play full time, and he certainly had an impact as a pass rusher). It will take some time for him to learn to play 3-4 OLB in our scheme, but eventually, that is where he would end up (it would be a waste to have him bulk up to become a 3-4 DE). If Harrison is a cap casualty, I could live for a year or maybe even two with Worilds at OLB on early downs, and Ansah as a pass rushing DE in nickel and dime, until the kid is ready for prime time. Unlike some folks on the board, I'm not hung up on how much of an impact that a rookie first round pick will have right away...I'm more concerned with the long-term, and this guys looks like he could be a dynamite long-term investment.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones will be offf the board by the time the draft reaches pick 6 and if he's not, there will be a regret or two.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

no way he makes it to 17

Rookie

User Info Menu

While I also do not believe that Jones makes it to 17, I do believe that there will be a premier pass rusher available for the Steelers to select...I think both need and value will dovetail once again for the black and gold...

Jones, Jordan, Anzah...I truly think one of those three will be there...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He fits...A hell of a football player....
    But there is a reason why someone so productive would fall this far to begin with.
    So for a kid who will be 24 and his medical...I would pass too.

There is only one OLB I would take at #17 and that would be Moore. I highly doubt he would even make it out of the Top 10.