Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the Adams backers?

Legend

User Info Menu

Could Marcus Gilbert be the Steelers LT?

Aug. 20, 2012
    by SteelBlitz

The Steelers are still looking for their starting left tackle for the 2012 season. They have a couple of options in Mike Adams, who hasn’t looked good so far through two pre-season games, Max Starks, who is still not playing, but is off the PUP list recovering from an ACL injury, and Marcus Gilbert? Gilbert was the 2011 right tackle and is playing some left tackle with the first team due to the injuries on the offensive line. Gilbert has made it known that he would like to be the left tackle, but the Steelers seem ready to keep him at right tackle.

Gilbert got the start at left tackle for the Steelers second pre-season game against the Colts. Outside of one play where he allowed pressure on Ben Roehtlisberger, Gilbert played well. On the other side of the line Ramon Foster started at right tackle. Foster also played well and the starting offensive line was able to open up some nice running lanes early for Jonathan Dwyer, who started for Issac Redman.

The Steelers seem to be waiting for Starks to return so that he can take the left tackle job and leave Marcus Gilbert at right tackle, but what happens if Starks isn’t ready to go? Remember, Starks is less than eight months removed from an ACL tear and is working to play the hardest position on the offensive line. If Starks is unable to go it seems unlikely the Steelers are ready to give the starting job to Mike Adams. Gilbert may be the answer to that question.

In the Steelers week one match-up with the Broncos they will be going up against the Von Miller and Elvis Dummerville, if he isn’t suspended for his off-the-field issues. It seems unlikely they will let Adams to go up against these top-tier pass rushers after being beat both back-ups against the Eagles and Colts.

Gilbert should continue to practice with the first team offensive line at left tackle until Starks is ready to return. If he plays well during the final two preseason games (assuming he plays at left tackle) and plays well in practice he may have a chance to take the left tackle job.

The only issue is who takes his spot at right tackle if Gilbert moves to the left side? Well, Ramon Foster played well last night. Starks also started his career on the right side and could replace Foster there when ready. The Steelers could also keep the Gilbert-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Foster line until Starks is ready and then return Gilbert to the right side.

For a position that had a lot of fans optimistic heading into training camp, the Steelers offensive line has become a question mark once again. Luckily for the Steelers it seems the inside positions are set and if Starks returns healthy soon they may just be able to solidify one of the best offensive lines Pittsburgh has seen in several years.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/could_marcus_gilbert_be_the_steelers_lt/11502247[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I hope not, Gilbert didnt look too great either

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    I hope not, Gilbert didnt look too great either
    As far as I can see, he is head & shoulders the best option. It's amazing to me that they're even considering Starks an option, considering a 350 lb. man who's 8-9 months off ACL reconstruction. Adams is not even in the equation. And I think Foster is viable at RT.

Legend

User Info Menu

just curious here, but why after adams was drafted, most fans here claimed he was a steel. 'he was a great pick because he was graded as a first rounder, only slipped because of the dope, a top 15 talent' etc etc. now that he has sucked so far, he is now a 'lowly second round pick and second round picks need lots of time to get with the program etc etc'. WTF is it people?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

#77 Gilbert- didn't look too great there either because he's had very little time at LT. Man, it takes a long time to get used to that position. But at least he has one thing on Adams- A year starting in the NFL already. I hope they aren't behind the 8 ball now with what they did by moving everyone around... We are really assuming a lot that Max is gonna be the savior once again and nail down the LT spot. Hell, I hope he does, because I always liked the guy....

I didn't like the idea of moving everyone around, but now they gotta deal with it. Hope it all works out in the long run. I would've put Gilbert at LT as our long-term LT from the get go. That was what the original plans were. Colon was fine at RT, even though it looks like he's gonna be a good LG. Just thinking there would've been less risk of letting Gilbert play LT and put Adams at RT to compete with Colon. Lets face it. Colon isn't gonna be around forever either...Not to mention he's injury prone. Therefore, we'd have a young OL backing up Colon at RT for years to come. Just my 2 cents..
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am a backer and will continue to be until after next year. Adams knock in college was his consistency to play at the level he could especially in pass pro. He did not use good technique at times and used his athletic ability and size to hold down his spot. He won't be able to do that on any down in the NFL. He seems to be getting that part but he is playing out of control and not over his feet at times. That is all coaching on his technique and mental processing which only gets better with practice and live reps.

What you see now is "flashes" of who he could be but at the same time you see a kid playing from behind his head. He is out in front of his head in his run blocking but you expect that from a rookie. If you can't see his uncoachable attributes because of the sacks he gave up...Just watch his agility in the run game and the ground he can cover in his kick slide. He has to find the middle where he keeps his feet under him to shut down the inside counter while he can still set the edge and meet the rusher deep in the pocket. He has the feet for it but I see him not trusting his ability.

You can NOT give up the inside rule #1. You have to trust your feet and work from trail and when the commitment is made by the rusher to turn the corner "Pop" your kickslide and meet him. The QB can help you if you get beat and the balls is not out by stepping up. Ride him by and breakdown for the comeback. But taking the rusher around the back of the pocket takes more time and allows the QB to feel the rush and step up while also creating a huge throwing lane or escape route. This is one rule that always plays against BB and is part of the "some sacks are BB fault" conversation because when BB wants to extend a play or feels pressure it is usually up and out down the LOS which allows the rusher who was run around the pocket run him down. There is no changing that and BB has made so many big plays doing it you really don't want to.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    just curious here, but why after adams was drafted, most fans here claimed he was a steel. 'he was a great pick because he was graded as a first rounder, only slipped because of the dope, a top 15 talent' etc etc. now that he has sucked so far, he is now a 'lowly second round pick and second round picks need lots of time to get with the program etc etc'. WTF is it people?
    What surprised me more was the OSU Buckeye fans that were supporting him. After 4 years of mediocrity, inconsistency, tomfoolery and a total lack of passion for the game...several thought Adams was a steal in the second. I have to assume people look at his measurables without ever watching the guy play. Or maybe they watched highlights reels and said wow this guy looks great. I'm not sure but I watched him closely for 4 years, and was very upset we drafted him in the second. I waited for 4 years to see him turn it on...never happened. Now, I am waiting again...watching...hoping. Well this time I'm not holding my breath for measurables and potential.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Now if you would have started a post talking about how Essex has been blown up like a sex doll after a night of watching strippers I would agree with ya
    I fell off my chair laughing and I needed the laugh

Legend

User Info Menu

glad i made ya laugh fezzer

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    so far? LOL... slow down there. Most people who say someone is a steal don't predict total domination from day 1. LOL...