Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teams Inquiring about Mike Wallace

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

NOONE is going to pay what he is asking. Its all staging for a solid offer from the Steelers. He knows they have him by the balls. He won't get his top dollar this year. He can sign a good contract now or risk it. Or rot for TWO years.
    They don't bend over for players. They will NOT trade him for less than a first rounder.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, it's not Chadman's money to play with- so if he asks for $120 million, and the Steelers give it to him- fantastic. He gets rich, the Steelers remain as dangerous through the air as anybody- happy days.

The argument as to if he 'deserves' it or not is moot- if that is the market, then that's the price. If he finds nobody to pay him that, then that's not the market & he'll get his value reduced.

This 'hate' towards him, or the argument as to his worth is irrelevant. He's not taking YOUR money. He's not even asking for YOUR money. So why take it personally? Why get angry with him? It's not like he hasn't been worth the contract he DID play under.

Chadman would hate to see him line up against our CB's on gameday.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Well, it's not Chadman's money to play with- so if he asks for $120 million, and the Steelers give it to him- fantastic. He gets rich, the Steelers remain as dangerous through the air as anybody- happy days.

The argument as to if he 'deserves' it or not is moot- if that is the market, then that's the price. If he finds nobody to pay him that, then that's not the market & he'll get his value reduced.

This 'hate' towards him, or the argument as to his worth is irrelevant. He's not taking YOUR money. He's not even asking for YOUR money. So why take it personally? Why get angry with him? It's not like he hasn't been worth the contract he DID play under.

LOL he's not taking "our" money, but he's taking up valuable cap space that would lessen the likelyhood of signing guys like AB,Sanders,Pouncey and some of our other young guys to long term contracts. If it were baseball you would have a point.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    I agree that he has flaws, he needs to do a better job of going after the ball in the air and he could develop more consistent hands but saying that, the numbers he has put up speak to the fact that he can be one of the games greatest's if he continues to make himself better. Some of us forget that the guy is only in his third year and has not even entered his prime.
    There's guys in high school that can go up and high point a ball better, in fact, I don't think I've seen an NFL reciever worse, half the time the ball is underthrown he keeps running with his breadbasket hands as if the ball is magicaly going to regain some velocity. He's not going to be able to fix that imo. Haley will no doubt work on that if he sticks around, but you either have that kind of cordination or you don't. MW will never be a top 5 wr, regaurdless of what the "stats" say. I don't want him for over 9 mil per, he's not worth it...and once he gets injured and loses some of that speed, we have a very average WR taking up tons of cap space, ala Javon Walker. No thanks.

Legend

User Info Menu

The market for a custom built sports car may be for $500,000 a copy but that doesn't mean you need one to successfully live your life and get from poiint A to B. Same with Wallace, we don't need that specific "sports car" to be successful because we can get lots of other modes of transportation at a much more reasonable price just like we can get many more effective WRs for far less than Wallace wants.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The market for a custom built sports car may be for $500,000 a copy but that doesn't mean you need one to successfully live your life and get from poiint A to B. Same with Wallace, we don't need that specific "sports car" to be successful because we can get lots of other modes of transportation at a much more reasonable price just like we can get many more effective WRs for far less than Wallace wants.
    True Ovi...that said, you can't just use any old motor oil to get that sports car working at it's best...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Wallace can't throw the ball to himself. He has flaws as a WR. Wanting Top 3 WR money is nuts since that is in the range of what franchise QBs make. He doesn't deserve it.
    When negotiations start, the player inevitably asks for the moon, while the team tries to get him on the cheap. Over time, the ultimate number lands somewhere in the middle. Wallace and his agent would be stupid if he weren't asking for top dollar at this stage of the game.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

True Ovi...that said, you can't just use any old motor oil to get that sports car working at it's best...
    That's the problem with those high end, high cost vehicles. The maintenance costs can be prohibitive. Same with a receiver whose game is totally built on speed and lacks other critical key capabilities. One hammy tweak and the value of that fast WR drops much more than a lesser cost, more complete WR with a more complete skillset who can adjust and adapt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    When negotiations start, the player inevitably asks for the moon, while the team tries to get him on the cheap. Over time, the ultimate number lands somewhere in the middle. Wallace and his agent would be stupid if he weren't asking for top dollar at this stage of the game.
    But the middle here given the ridiculous amount we hear Wallce asking for could result in one WR eating up 7-10% of your total salary cap. Not sure that is a wise investment, especially when that WR "vanished" the last half of last season.

Legend

User Info Menu

But the middle here given the ridiculous amount we hear Wallce asking for could result in one WR eating up 7-10% of your total salary cap. Not sure that is a wise investment, especially when that WR "vanished" the last half of last season.
    It really doesn't matter where Wallace starts because the Steelers are starting at 2.5 mill or whatever the tender is...

It's a "need a dime, ask for a dollar" kind of deal....