Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chance Warmack in round one?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    The whole NT position is interesting at the moment. Hampton was clearly down on what he's been able to produce in the past. Despite everyone clamouring over McLendon, he couldn't surpass a clearly less effective Hampton- so where does that place McLendon? He might well be a player on the rise, but if his standard right now is lower than Casey's, that's not good enough to start. Ta'amu was obviously drafted to compete for NT, but that mid-season brain explosion could cost him dearly. He's only signed for this year & next on the league minimum, so he's an easy cut if the coaches don't think his head is in the right place. Fangupo, on the other hand, has been signed for 4 years (did anyone know that??).

Casey was paid $4m+ last season- he'd have to sign for no more than half of that, at best, for Chadman to think he's valuable enough to bring back. Given that there are now 3 young NT's on the roster, Chadman is no longer convinced that NT is the #1 priority in this draft (despite there being no real stand out future NT at this point). It might be that Hampton (on say $1m) combined with McLendon & either Ta'amu or Fangupo is the best scenario for next season. If neither McLendon or the successful Ta'amu/Fangupo can show enough to surpass Hampton next season, then the Steelers draft strategy will be forced on them in 2014- but that might be a palatable situation at this point.
    My Theory? They are going to see if Mclendon can play DE in the 3-4. At 6'4 with his body build, he may be a better end then nose in the 3-4. That would give them Ta'amu and Fangupo at NT. Mclendon can play the nose on passing downs.

Just a theory.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    My Theory? They are going to see if Mclendon can play DE in the 3-4. At 6'4 with his body build, he may be a better end then nose in the 3-4. That would give them Ta'amu and Fangupo at NT. Mclendon can play the nose on passing downs.

Just a theory.
    That could work- McLendon would become more of a 'roving' DL than specifically any 1 position. They could even play around with it & have Ziggy do the same.

Of course- if neither Ta'amu or Fangupo pan out... back to square 1.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yes to this!!!!!!!

I wouldn't hesitate to pick him a solidify our OL for the next 5-7 years.
    i'm in this camp, but only if Warmack is the beast people think.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Some good and interesting posts here regarding NT. If we're back to square one then I hope we get the chance to pick Chance, then maybe our backs can have success.
    If Chance is anywhere near as good as BIG RED (ALAN fANACA) get the pen out now, thats IF he's there when we pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He's no Alan Faneca. Unless he's at the dinner table and you put a big 50 oz steak and an endless basket of fries in front of him. Then, he'd probably beat out AF at that.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    He's no Alan Faneca. Unless he's at the dinner table and you put a big 50 oz steak and an endless basket of fries in front of him. Then, he'd probably beat out AF at that.
    Well, right now he's eating ND linemen alive.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well then... He's just gonna be the best OL in the NFL then. Case closed. lol
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd take Barrett Jones, he's played left tackle, left guard and center for Alabama during his career. If you like the idea of moving Pouncey to left guard then draft Jones and make him the center and move Pouncey. He's been a work horse for Alabama in his career, so maybe he can get through training camp without getting injured by Marcus Gilbert.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was thinking the same thing. IF you are gonna draft any of them take the C, and move Pouncey to LG.

Realistically though, we are not going to be drafting another OLman in round 1 because Colon has to come back because of the huge cap hit we'd take if we cut him. Therefore, he's on the roster and will start. The OL is set. I'm convinced that a new OL coach and staying away from all these injuries, our young OL is set long term and now we can turn to replacing some of the older guys on defense. Again, my 2 cents, but its the most realistic approach.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 01-08-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Chance Warmack is ranked by many experts as the 3rd-5th overall prospect in this entire draft.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash