Thread: Wallace turned down 10 million a year

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wallace turned down 10 million a year

Report: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from the Steelers
    February 3, 2013
    by Paul Jackiewicz
    February 3, 2013

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, it looks like the Steelers and wide receiver Mike Wallace will part ways with one another this offseason after he turned down a five-year $10 million contract offer last year.

They gave him their best offer last year, reportedly averaging $10 million annually over five years, and he turned it down. They stopped negotiating with Wallace once camp started and he did not show up, and quickly turned their attention to (Antonio) Brown. He signed a five-year contract for $42.5 million that included an $8.5 million signing bonus.

It’s pretty shocking that Wallace turned down such a generous offer. I would love to know how much money he’s looking for. I can’t imagine Wallace getting over $10 million per year deal from any team.

Legend

User Info Menu

If accurate, Wallace just proved he was a douche for turning this down. He may have cost himself millions because I can't see a team stupid enough to give him that or more after this past season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Report: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from the Steelers
    February 3, 2013
    by Paul Jackiewicz
    February 3, 2013

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, it looks like the Steelers and wide receiver Mike Wallace will part ways with one another this offseason after he turned down a five-year $10 million contract offer last year.

They gave him their best offer last year, reportedly averaging $10 million annually over five years, and he turned it down. They stopped negotiating with Wallace once camp started and he did not show up, and quickly turned their attention to (Antonio) Brown. He signed a five-year contract for $42.5 million that included an $8.5 million signing bonus.

It’s pretty shocking that Wallace turned down such a generous offer. I would love to know how much money he’s looking for. I can’t imagine Wallace getting over $10 million per year deal from any team.
    The per year average doesn't mean much in the NFL. It is the amount that is guaranteed that matters. I would say it didn't differ a lot from what Brown was offered.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's the article by Bouchette for those interested:

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sunday-spotlight-speed-kills-and-so-does-the-lack-of-it-673215/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Big Rob is probably close to the mark- every report BEFORE this one says that the deal Wallace turned down was very similar to the one Brown signed.

Chadman is very concerned that a WR group of Brown, Sanders & Cotchery isn't going to give Ben enough to work with. Any rookie brought in will sit no higher than 3rd on the depth chart, and chances are they will be less effective than Wallace was in 2012. Whichever way you look at it- the WR's will not be a 'better' group in 2013, and on top of this- we have no reliable ground game.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Big Rob is probably close to the mark- every report BEFORE this one says that the deal Wallace turned down was very similar to the one Brown signed.

Chadman is very concerned that a WR group of Brown, Sanders & Cotchery isn't going to give Ben enough to work with. Any rookie brought in will sit no higher than 3rd on the depth chart, and chances are they will be less effective than Wallace was in 2012. Whichever way you look at it- the WR's will not be a 'better' group in 2013, and on top of this- we have no reliable ground game.
    As a thought we should think outside the box and look at a top TE as a receiver and not as a TE who is somehow less than getting a WR. That strategy has worked well for the Pats and other teams like the 49ers who are using TEs more effectively as weapons and not extra OTs.

If Wallace leaves we should view that as needing to replace 64 receptions not needing a fast WR. I think Brown is plenty fast enough. We can do that a number of ways with TEs, RBs, etc. Don't need to have a Wallace clone to make that happen. It's not like Wallace proved himself impossible for the opponents to take out of a game the past season and a half.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

This group worries me as well, especially with Miller likely less than 100% at least to start the season.

Even when Wallace did not produce, his speed provided a threat that opened thing sup underneath. I am fine with Wallace leaving, but suspect that his loss will be felt more than some seem to suggest.

The Steelers need another deep threat or, at least, a big WR who can make catches in traffic. Three smallish possession WRs are not really going to scare anybody.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    As a thought we should think outside the box and look at a top TE as a receiver and not as a TE who is somehow less than getting a WR. That strategy has worked well for the Pats and other teams like the 49ers who are using TEs more effectively as weapons and not extra OTs.

If Wallace leaves we should view that as needing to replace 64 receptions not needing a fast WR. I think Brown is plenty fast enough. We can do that a number of ways with TEs, RBs, etc. Don't need to have a Wallace clone to make that happen. It's not like Wallace proved himself impossible for the opponents to take out of a game the past season and a half.
    Haley did a great job of nullifying Wallace's effectiveness....
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    This group worries me as well, especially with Miller likely less than 100% at least to start the season.

Even when Wallace did not produce, his speed provided a threat that opened thing sup underneath. I am fine with Wallace leaving, but suspect that his loss will be felt more than some seem to suggest.

The Steelers need another deep threat or, at least, a big WR who can make catches in traffic. Three smallish possession WRs are not really going to scare anybody.
    Exactly! If we were upset with a dink & dunk offense last season- can only imagine how happy we'll be with one with no physical threat or any deep threat.

And when you remove the most damaging & dangerous RB from the roster too... happy days...

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

As a thought we should think outside the box and look at a top TE as a receiver and not as a TE who is somehow less than getting a WR.
    This is no longer an 'out of the box' thought process. You need to have genuine, dynamic players at TE to make that work. Hernandez & Gronk are the prototype's for that sort of role. Not even sure Miller is that type of recieving threat.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE