Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We Must Hit It Big In The Draft or 8-8 seasons will become common.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Which he should continue to do. Sometimes it wins championships and sometimes it loses games. Gamblers gotta gamble...
    as he gets older he needs to gamble less IMO...

these younger DL's are faster, he is slower... and the gambling has lead to 2 season ending (for us) injuries the last 2 years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Everyone thought we "Hit it Big" in last year's draft.
    Exactly. I was so excited for this season to start. I saw Colon moving to the inside and DeCastro starting as a big improvement to the line. I thought Redman would be solid behind that line. Getting Adams in the 2nd was a bonus and he might start at left tackle. Sean Spence would be a perfect replacement for Farrior and Ta'amu to start taking over for Hampton. Throw in Rainey as a possible Sproles type player and we were going to be a force in the playoffs.

Then Gilbert started falling on everybody, DeCastro and Spence don't even see the start of the season, Ta'amu thought he was a player in Grand Theft Auto, and Rainey decides it's easier to hit women than it is to break tackles.

I can't wait til next year!!
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Probably more important than 'who they draft in 2013' is 'who they drafted leading up to 2013'.

Guys like Worilds, McLendon, Sanders, Redman, Dwyer & Cortez Allen are the keys to success or failure in 2013 in many ways. They'll be the ones asked to fill the holes opened up on the roster- not the 2013 rookies.
    Pssst ... Redman and McLendon weren't drafted.

but I agree with what you are saying.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I know the FO will do everything possible to improve the team, Rooney came out public and said this season is unacceptable and changes will be made.
    He also said we better have the players to replace the ones that won't be here.

With the cap situation and few dollars to sign FA's its imperative we do well in the draft in order to improve as a team, even with that, the reality is we don't have enough quality players to step up and play at a high level.

You can't lose Harrison, Mendy, Wallace, three of your O-lineman, and expect to compete for a championship. Oh, we'll be competitive but I thinks its going to take at least two great draft years to get back to be a playoff team.
    If we lose Colon, Starks, and Foster who in the hell is going to play on that o-lin e if someone gets injured?

Who do we have that can take James Harrison's place?

We'll need another receiver but who will be as good as Wallace right away?

I didn't even mention RB, or the possibility of Foote leaving so as you can see they have their work cut out for them.
    IDK, the Colts were horrid in 2011, lost tons more players in 2012, and actually still became a play off team. You can create addition through subtraction if things fall into place.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    IDK, the Colts were horrid in 2011, lost tons more players in 2012, and actually still became a play off team. You can create addition through subtraction if things fall into place.
    They went from a collection of misfits at QB to Andrew Luck.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    as he gets older he needs to gamble less IMO...

these younger DL's are faster, he is slower... and the gambling has lead to 2 season ending (for us) injuries the last 2 years.
    We disagree there. It's his game and I'm cool with it. I'd rather him play all-out than play it safe. Sometimes you beat the mountain and sometimes the mountain beats you. Either way, it's a heck of a ride!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Pssst ... Redman and McLendon weren't drafted.

but I agree with what you are saying.
    You kiddin? They were 8th rounders, for sure..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Starter

User Info Menu

supersteeler said AR2 said " we better have the players to replace the ones that won't be here."

Hmm! Wonder what he meant by that?

If that is an exact quote, and I was Colbert, I would be already starting to kick some scout butt, and expect some serious bush beating pronto.

Does anyone recall something I heard occurred in the mid 80's. Apparently the drafting was not so hot and some guy named Arthur Rooney[okay Jr.] got canned. This if true always made me laugh. Hey don't think for a minute that these Steelers don't take this game serious.

In another thread totally unrelated to draft success or not the 2006 year came up. You could not help but notice that only one of the players drafted was still here. and only one other was a winner. But what was easy to overlook was the only player left was Willie Colon a 4th rd pick from Hofstra?? [who knew they even played football] and nearly all the rest [duds]were from BIG schools with major programs. Which is what the following is about.

1. There is evidence, discussed below, that suggests that certain major producers of football talent
    are so heavily scouted that a player with a scintilla of talent from those schools is considered a
    safer choice than a more talented player from a smaller school
    The following table supports the contention that there is a draft bias toward certain colleges. This table
    shows information for ten of the major producers of NFL talent.

The following table at least partially contradicts that contention. This table lists the top 10 colleges in the number of starts by undrafted players. Seven colleges from the Automatic Qualifier conferences are included in this top 10.

3. This top ten list does present some startling information. First, Kent State is the leader among all
    colleges in games started by undrafted players. It gets even better. Kent State has more starts than the
    combined total of the 10 major colleges listed above (258 vs. 177). Further, Kent State and Maine (a
    college with no starts from drafted players) account for over 5% of the total starts by undrafted players.
    Who would have guessed that one? It is also worth noting that five schools (Maine, Southern Illinois,
    Northern Iowa, Richmond and Eastern Illinois) account for nearly 40% of the starts from undrafted
    players from the All Other Colleges.

----These are just some of the conclusions drawn from the numerous charts and stuff on the site. There is too much to post here. But this is just a smidge of the info on draft data there. If interested in this kind of stuff check out the link.

[url]http://www.draftmetrics.com/[/url]

btw: The site is run by life long Steeler fans. Some of the info on TS is interesting. What I took from this was TS should be paying more attention to the smaller school players on these fringe picks. Antonio Brown anyone?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    A stud OL may not prevent Ben from getting hurt, but it can aid in giving us a dominant running game, which will aid the team when Ben does get hurt and misses time. Gotta think ahead and not be so reactionary (not you, the Steelers)....I would be willing to bet 25 bucks that one of our starting 5 OL goes down with a multi-game injury within the first 4 to 6 weeks of the season. Gameplan ahead and have a stud waiting rather then have the injury occur and have to plug scrubs in to a makeshift line.
    A stud FB with a RB that will follow his FB along with another good blocking TE would improve the running game too. Don't get me wrong, they should take some OL in this draft, but just not at the top of the draft....I like that C from Alabama....The one who can play C,G, and T. He might last until round 3....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    A stud FB with a RB that will follow his FB along with another good blocking TE would improve the running game too. Don't get me wrong, they should take some OL in this draft, but just not at the top of the draft....I like that C from Alabama....The one who can play C,G, and T. He might last until round 3....

I think Will Johnson did a great job at FB this season for a rookie. He did more in one season than Dennis Johnson did in his entire career.

Barrett Jones is the player from Alabama you mention and I would love to have him. He has played T, G and C on National Championship teams. I have seen some project him as late Round 1 or early Round 2. IMO he would be a steal in Round 2.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"