Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is Mendy likely to go?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Where is Mendy likely to go?

Let's assume he ends up playing some and showing his usual flashes (some good, some bad, some will find him above average, others will not). I find it unlikely (I hope) that Pgh re-signs the guy. That being said, who is likely to sign him?

1. Cinci. Mike Browns always longs for our left overs. Jarvis Green is OK, but not quite enough to take them to the promised land, in my opinion. (He has rushed for 431, 3.4 avg.) I could easily see them signing him and I wouldn't be that worried about it.

2. AZ. They are Pgh west after all, and are 31st in rushing. They desperately need help at RB. They can keep taking our leftovers.

3. Detroit. They keep blowing through back after back; this one has concussions all the time, the other is banged up forever. They need a steady back. Might be a decent fit.

4. Jets. They have Greene and he isn't a full-time, big time back. They need someone else.

5. Colts. They have a bunch of 2nd-teir type guys. Need more talent there.

There you have it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Mendy will stay in the 'burgh. That said, if he were to go it would be easy to see him go to AZ. I'd prefer to get him out of the AFC if he were going away.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Mendy struggles with injuries the rest of the season he will be in the 'burgh next year.

If he gets healthy and makes some good runs and shows he's rehabbed...some team will make him an offer. Arizona comes to mind.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Carolina Panthers are always down to throw money at running backs. He'll probably go there.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Right now I don't think there's any reason to sign Mendenhall to a "decent" contract --- especially if it interferes with us signing someone like Mike Wallace.

Mendenhall has done very little with his opportunity in Pittsburgh --- granted the Off. Line has been pretty bad, and we're becoming more like the rest of the NFL in that we pass the ball more. But as I look at the Depth Chart I see Dwyer (young and showing promise), Batch, Rainey and even Redmen if we decide he's the better Free Agent for cost.....that's 4 RB's.

I don't see a reason to sign Mendenhall to a sizeable contract -- granted (when healthy) he's probably our best back right now, but has his production been enough to re-sign him?

An "obvious" place for him to go would be St. Louis -- as they will likely let the 31 year old Free Agent Steven Jackson go.

Miami would also make a lot of sense, as Reggie Bush isn't an every down kind of RB -- and the passing game isn't their forte'
    Green Bay also makes a lot of sense -- they could use a Vet. RB, and Cedric Benson is only there for a one year contract.
    New England also could use a Vet. RB --- he makes sense here as well.

Kansas City is possible if they plan on having another RB split carries with J. Charles.

Legend

User Info Menu

If he insists on the big payday, he will end up on cap friendly teams like Colts, Bills, Jets, or Patriots (yes, they are $9.5M under).

Legend

User Info Menu

If the trend continues in the NFL then your back must be a closer. He won't be called upon as much, but he will have to bring the lead home in the fourth Q. That kind of back is more of a 4 yard each carry kind of back as opposed to 0 yards, 2 yards, lose 2, 20 yards kind of back. For that I would rather have a Dwyer/Redman style back than a dancer/home run hitter type of RB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lonbull View Post
    Mendenhall has done very little with his opportunity in Pittsburgh --- granted the Off. Line has been pretty bad, and we're becoming more like the rest of the NFL in that we pass the ball more. But as I look at the Depth Chart I see Dwyer (young and showing promise), Batch, Rainey and even Redmen if we decide he's the better Free Agent for cost.....that's 4 RB's.
    "Done very little"? He's had almost 3 1,000 yard seasons and a SB ring.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    SB ring? He was in street clothes the whole year when we won the SB. I think he stays if he isn't trying to get paid big money and shows flashes in our new offense. We have a lot of RB's... but they tend to stay injured... and Batch hasn't shown me jack in the running department...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Yeah, I thought that was an unusual statement as well. We seen what he has done behind a crap OL...the first time he ran behind a decent OL...he played really well. I think Mendy is the real deal...a complete back. I would hate to lose him.
    Trolls are people too.