Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookies must know their roles in complex D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    What scares me is Lebeau saying he won't change philosophies... with 4 year rookie contracts we have to change. We cant wait until contract years to let players show out.

perfectly said

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not arguing about what this D accomplished during those SB runs. I'm talking about present day and moving forward. A complex D that takes years to grasp isn't going to cut it in this new NFL.
    How do complex offenses cut in the new NFL? I suspect that most of the offenses and defenses in the NFL function at a certain level of complexity. Simplifying the defense isn't necessarily going to make the defense better nor is it going to make players better. There will always be a learning curve for young players regardless of the defensive or offensive scheme. Defensive players need to be prepared for the multiple formations and personnel packages that they will face from offenses.

I don't see why the Steelers should change their defensive philosophy just because they are having an uncharacteristic year on defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

If a team is going to play a basic defense, it has to have top tier talent all around in order to be a decent defense. With all the rules favoring the offense, a basic defense with average talent won't stop an average NFL offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    How do complex offenses cut in the new NFL? I suspect that most of the offenses and defenses in the NFL function at a certain level of complexity. Simplifying the defense isn't necessarily going to make the defense better nor is it going to make players better. There will always be a learning curve for young players regardless of the defensive or offensive scheme. Defensive players need to be prepared for the multiple formations and personnel packages that they will face from offenses.

I don't see why the Steelers should change their defensive philosophy just because they are having an uncharacteristic year on defense.
    A complex D with the new CBA rules is insane IMO. We had a huge turnover, we dont have time to wait for these guys to show something.

Backup

User Info Menu

A complex D with the new CBA rules is insane IMO. We had a huge turnover, we dont have time to wait for these guys to show something.
    That's just not true. Name me one player outside of Worilds who didn't show anything until their 4th year. Also for first round picks they get 5 year contracts. Even with the new contracts teams aren't going to be turning over the roster any faster. They are still going to pay their guys. The problem has been drafting NOT a complicated defense.

Who exactly would you have signed that left after 4 years? How has this hurt the Steelers?

Legend

User Info Menu

What scares me is Lebeau saying he won't change philosophies... with 4 year rookie contracts we have to change. We cant wait until contract years to let players show out.
    You have to change the Def Coord to see any change on our defense. Until that happens, just more of the same. LeBeau won't force LeBeau out so we are really between a rock and a hard place seeing any improvements
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You have to change the Def Coord to see any change on our defense. Until that happens, just more of the same. LeBeau won't force LeBeau out so we are really between a rock and a hard place seeing any improvements
    Agreed, but that being said, we have lost how many starters in 2 years? 3? Smith, Farrior, Hampton, Harrison, Foote...and coming next year, Keisel, Clark, Hood, maybe Woodley. That's an awful lot of change. But none of that changes the fact that making guys sit for years has to change.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Agreed, but that being said, we have lost how many starters in 2 years? 3? Smith, Farrior, Hampton, Harrison, Foote...and coming next year, Keisel, Clark, Hood, maybe Woodley. That's an awful lot of change. But none of that changes the fact that making guys sit for years has to change.
    If you don't have the right pieces why keeping trying to force the same thing
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

ha you keep kicking the same horse. It is not changing much anytime soon. Unless Butler moves on after this season. Then DL after next. But I figure Butler will stick around for his shot as Steelers DC. I do like the idea of more of a hybrid 3-4 with some more 4-3 if needed. With the new rules NFL all teams have to think outside the box. I even like the 1/4 D with Troy as a ILB. But some times he gets eaten alive by linemen. Also I think you will always have to take college DE's with some rush and cover skill to convert to a OLB in any 3-4. Not a ton of true 3-4 OLB's in the draft. Even a very good prospect as a true 3-4 OLB has had trouble in his Rookie year. Just like Troy did. As many here say I don't think it is scheme. It has to be players not being as good as we have been spoiled with in the past. Plus the effect of "new" players getting used to playing with each other. That has to count some.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you don't have the right pieces the defense is going to under perform anyway. Agree or disagree, coaches are generally going to stick with what's worked for them.