Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I had to change my Steelers mock...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Paulson, Heath Miller, DJ, WJ and and you want a 1st round pick. Sorry, I don't see that happening.

You need to replace Wallace. Hopkins or even Allen fit the bill.

Plaxico - Old but a decent signing and teams have to respect him in the redzone especially
    Brown - known commodity
    Sanders - Starting #2 receiver but are you confident with that? Injury issues, consistency issues?
    Cotchery - He's a legit #3 or #4

My main issue isn't depth. My main issue is the #2 spot (assuming Brown being considered the #1 as his contract might dictate)
    Outside of Heath, you won't see DJ,WJ, and Paulson scoring in the redzone much but @ 6-6 Eifert could be a good target there, and scoring on a regular basis. If we pass on Eifert, then draft Ike Taylor's replacement.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but the attributes you ascribe to Allen seem to be the same characteristics that Brown and Sanders have (not a speed-burner, but plays fast). I guess I'm just asking what he adds?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Outside of Heath, you won't see DJ,WJ, and Paulson scoring in the redzone much but @ 6-6 Eifert could be a good target there, and scoring on a regular basis. If we pass on Eifert, then draft Ike Taylor's replacement.
    Nope... because we already have our CBs for the next several years.. We are set. Lewis and Allen is a solid #1 and #2.

That of course is an assumption that we sign Lewis
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Hopkins isn't a slow guy either. He posted faster 40 times than Hakeem Nicks and slightly slower than AJ Green (4.53). His official at the combine was a 4.57 and I think his official at his pro day was a 4.55.

Everyone basically compares him to Roddy White. Almost identical attributes and very similar strengths.

I am willing to use 1.17 on a Roddy White clone. Wouldn't you?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    No need drafting a WR at 17 because with resigning Buress they have the WRs who will see the bulk of the playing time. Draft TE Tyler Eifert and you add a weapon to the passing game that will actually get a chance to earn playing time.
    Give me a break. Burress will be lucky to catch 25 passes next year. He is on his last leg and doesn't really have a whole lot left. Keenan Allen is a play maker which the Steelers need big time.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but the attributes you ascribe to Allen seem to be the same characteristics that Brown and Sanders have (not a speed-burner, but plays fast). I guess I'm just asking what he adds?
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh how about being 6 ft 3 and can actually go up and get the ball? And until Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders learn how to get in the end zone I wouldnt consider them to be on the same level as a talent like Allen in the open field.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hopkins isn't a slow guy either. He posted faster 40 times than Hakeem Nicks and slightly slower than AJ Green (4.53). His official at the combine was a 4.57 and I think his official at his pro day was a 4.55.

Everyone basically compares him to Roddy White. Almost identical attributes and very similar strengths.

I am willing to use 1.17 on a Roddy White clone. Wouldn't you?
    I love DeAndre Hopkins however Keenan Allen is a far more talented receiver/athlete. Right now Allen "may" be the best receiver in this draft. Had he not gotten hurt I dont there is any question of it.

I compare his situation at Cal to that of Calvin Johnson when he was at GA-Tech. Neither really had a descent QB throwing them the ball yet they still made plays all over the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Signings like Foster, DJ, Foote, Burress etc. are typical Steeler signings going into the draft. They will not eliminate the desire for a BPA player at the same position, but also makes sure that those players are not a necessity.

If Patterson, Allen, Hopkins, Eifert, Cooper etc. are there and are BPA on the Steelers board, then they will not hesitate because they already signed someone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh how about being 6 ft 3 and can actually go up and get the ball? And until Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders learn how to get in the end zone I wouldnt consider them to be on the same level as a talent like Allen in the open field.
    OK, I didn't see the part about him being 6'3". That helps. I'm concerned about our current guys actually scoring too, that's why I was curious what else he would bring to the table.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be upset with Allen as our pick but I'd prefer DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson. He fits the bill for the Steelers:

1) Polished route running
    2) Good size
    3) High points the ball and is aggressive with the ball in the air
    4) Fits Todd Haley's system
    5) Great hands (best attribute)
    Most of this describes Allen as well. Hopkins and Allen are really similar players. Both run good routes and have good hands. Both have decent height and slimmer builds. Both compete well for the 50-50 balls. I'd give Allen an edge in open field running and Hopkins a slight edge on hands (though Allen's are very good). Neither has great downfield speed.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.